Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 04:03 AM
StrippedTorx

Some flat stock.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 05:24 AM
V8GCZJ

Grove out the cracks and weld both top and bottom.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 05:54 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Is this a restoration, or a repair ?

The best thing to do is remove the bad metal and replace with good metal and reinforce the area with more metal. Just welding up the cracks will probably lead to more cracking in a short period of time. A good repair would be to flatten the area, weld on a reinforcing patch of metal that has very well rounded corners, and then weld up the cracks. Bubba would have you hold his beer and weld the patch onto the top side, I would weld it onto the underside out of sight.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
jeffnortonjl

I want to repair it, but I want it repaired correctly. If I try to go from the bottom there is some hollow channeling there. I was hoping to be able to repair it from the top. Should I try to find a replacement nutplate or use bolt, washers, and nut?

post #6 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 11:26 AM
StrippedTorx

If it’s not a show Jeep and you intend to use it then by all means take the bubba approach. Flat stock on top, bottom and reinforce that c channel on the bottom. I wouldn’t be skimpy. It’s your a** on the line.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
jeffnortonjl

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrippedTorx View Post
If itís not a show Jeep and you intend to use it then by all means take the bubba approach. Flat stock on top, bottom and reinforce that c channel on the bottom. I wouldnít be skimpy. Itís your a** on the line.
It's not for show, yet. I'm working on it a little at a time. That's why I'm trying to figure out the best way to repair this right.

post #8 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 11:56 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
unless you can weld not a lot one can do with out having someone do it for you and then they will do it how ever they choose in the end. I would assume you dont weld since you are asking how to fix metal. Have to say learning to weld tends to be worth the cost in the end over a life time. especially with old heeps and such.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
jeffnortonjl

I can weld. I was just looking for any recommendations from the experienced folks on here. I could just weld the cracks, use flat stock on top, or cut it out and reinforce it. My main issue is the nutplate. I haven't been able to find them, or I may be calling it the wrong thing. I'm not sure. So, to be specific, I would like input on the best way to do the repair to keep the jeep as close to original as possible and safe. I also need a little help on hardware recommendations for the repair.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 12:40 PM
StrippedTorx

Forget the nutsert. Use a nice fat grade 8 nut and bolt. With some sandwiched plate and your new reinforced channel underneath and the weakest part of your seats will be the seat brackets. Don’t make it more complicated than it is. Make it safe.
jeffnortonjl likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-19-2019, 07:46 AM
mudpilot

1982 CJ7 

I would weld up what cracks are there but for making this safe to use i would go back with flat stock top and bottom and sandwich the sheet metal. Then use a grade 8 bolt and nut with washers to ensure nothing flexing or breaking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in