Repainting - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-26-2020, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Repainting

Dear all:

I have a 2000 XJ with the original paint that needs to be repaint as to give a nice look for years. I believe it has the original Medium fern green. I is faded in some areas, discolored on roof, looks like front passenger door has been repaired and repainted but was not professionally.

I am not doing the repaint my self, I will have the paint shop do that, but to be unfooled, I wants to know the best way to repaint, is it remove all the prev paint or do a sand job, smooth the surface, apply base coat, then apply the color paint. I appreciate all your comments sharing.

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic. Built for export
432K Kilos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-26-2020, 05:44 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
hard to say how it will be done here in the Usa or in Saudi. But all things being equal. Here unless you are ready to spend rather big money it will end up being a paint job like from say Macco, One Day etc. How they are able to paint a vehicle at such low cost is the dont do much prep. sand it a bit, mask it off<everything. paint it with low end paints. These type paint jobs can come out well, they are not quality like one would see in a GOOD custom shop. But for many its about the only reasonable way to do something that really is not worth a 10,000+ dollar paint job. What cost so much? They take the car apart, all the windows door trim/seal if needed, every part that can come off to make the job right. Down to metal and then metal work/body work. They tend to use top line paints. They will as well cut the paint and polish it. no orange peel. It gets into real money real fast.

its all about how much money do you want to spend on a XJ. Finding a shop as well, you can pay a lot and get little for it. might find a guy that does a nice job for much less then 10 k as well.

Me i have never yet to date had anyone paint a vehicle for me. Though now at my age I would. But the last one i did for my self was a down to every bolt it came apart. then painted a part and then reassembled. Talking like 2000 hours easy. I am no pro, just an old jeeper that started painting a Cj2a when i was 14 with my grandfather and went from there.

My old chevy

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-26-2020, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Repaint

You are write, it depends on how much I will spend. For that type of vehicle it does not worth throwing a lot of money on paint, it is not a collectable, and for what I will pay the shop will sand down the old paint to the base prime coat, then apply the new paint, I hope it will come out real nice though. I appreciate your ideas and thoughts.

432K Kilos.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-27-2020, 04:55 AM
V8GCZJ

Sanding down to metal is $ because of the labor costs. IF the existing paint is not in to bad of shape it can be repainted and will cost less. Prep work is key in either case!
post #5 of 13 Old 06-22-2020, 01:09 AM
PaulM23

Sanding is the better process but it costs more cause there is more labor involved. It all comes down to how much money you want to spend. Tip, just ask the price beforehand, they should give an estimation of how much it would go for depending on what option you choose.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-25-2020, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I don't want to spend much money. The shop asked around (5000 SR=Saudi Riyals) which comes to 1312 USD for repainting and fixing some dings and bumps on RH pass door & both bumpers.

What does it worth in the US, are we close?.

432K Kilos.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-03-2020, 11:46 AM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

typically the vast majority of re-paints are done by re- sanding the paint there.
typically most jobs are done by folks on a time & material basis
Typically if you spend less than 3K on a re-paint- you wont be happy with the quality of the results

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill
post #8 of 13 Old 07-03-2020, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks BlueFl.Wrangler, very interesting info.

432K Kilos.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-03-2020, 04:24 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamid View Post
I don't want to spend much money. The shop asked around (5000 SR=Saudi Riyals) which comes to 1312 USD for repainting and fixing some dings and bumps on RH pass door & both bumpers.

What does it worth in the US, are we close?.
that sounds like it's fairly cheap, last time I looked into paint work Maaco started around $600.00 US
however that was just a scuff and spray, as more work is added the cost goes up quickly soon they $600.00
dollar paint job got to $2-3 Thousand and a good body shop wanted 6K for a full strip and spray.

Whats over that next ridge?
post #10 of 13 Old 07-04-2020, 02:39 PM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Low2G0 View Post
that sounds like it's fairly cheap.
No-- ITS REAL CHEAP

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill
post #11 of 13 Old 07-04-2020, 06:04 PM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Mine is fixing to go into the shop to get painted some time in august, Mine needs almost zero repair work to the sheet metal. But there is a lot of time in removing and replacing things like bumpers, head light bezels , head lights, the top, fender flares, rear tire carrier- it all adds up in hourly labor-- and believe me that it adds up KWIK. Not to mention the time it takes for all the sanding and masking. I am expecting about 4K

Winston Churchill
post #12 of 13 Old 07-06-2020, 04:01 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFl.Wrangler View Post
Mine is fixing to go into the shop to get painted some time in august, Mine needs almost zero repair work to the sheet metal. But there is a lot of time in removing and replacing things like bumpers, head light bezels , head lights, the top, fender flares, rear tire carrier- it all adds up in hourly labor-- and believe me that it adds up KWIK. Not to mention the time it takes for all the sanding and masking. I am expecting about 4K
When the YJ went in for respray, I stripped everything off of it and sanded all the failing clear coat off.
it needed zero rust repair and zero bodywork. all that helped with the price.

Whats over that next ridge?
post #13 of 13 Old 07-07-2020, 09:03 AM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Low2G0 View Post
When the YJ went in for respray, I stripped everything off of it and sanded all the failing clear coat off.
it needed zero rust repair and zero bodywork. all that helped with the price.
Yep-- thats all well and good, but I cant do that, my paint & body guy wouldn't take the job then. He needs to make $$ and he is the best in the area, has a long list of folks waiting for a spot and he charges about half the hourly rate of all the others.

Winston Churchill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in