Question about Doors and Wheel Paint - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-27-2016, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
gavd48
2002 WJ 

Garage
Question about Doors and Wheel Paint

Hey guys, I'm new to Jeep forums and just recently became a Jeep owner yesterday, but I want to beef up my Jeep a little bit pretty much for looks and for some minor offroading.

Doors-
I've done a little research on taking the doors off of a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and putting nets in the door, and what I've found is it can cause structural damage if you have the doors off and you wheel it hard. If I only take the doors off to drive around town / some backroads, will it still cause damage? And I assume it's not that easy to take the doors off, but I'll find a way to do that.

Wheels-
So I want to paint my stock wheels black and just mount some larger all terrains on them, but I'm not sure of the best way to accomplish that. I watched a video on plasti-dip, but I'm worried it might peel or scratch and I'll have to constantly re-apply it to keep it clean. Any ideas or things you've done yourself that could help me out?

Thanks in advance, I'm more than excited to join the Jeep community and have some fun!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-05-2016, 05:02 PM
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavd48 View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to Jeep forums and just recently became a Jeep owner yesterday, but I want to beef up my Jeep a little bit pretty much for looks and for some minor offroading.

Doors-
I've done a little research on taking the doors off of a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and putting nets in the door, and what I've found is it can cause structural damage if you have the doors off and you wheel it hard. If I only take the doors off to drive around town / some backroads, will it still cause damage? And I assume it's not that easy to take the doors off, but I'll find a way to do that.
If your doing some rather hard wheeling yes you can tweek the body so the doors won't fit correctly. If its normal off roading your not going to do damage unless you hit something.

Quote:
Wheels-
So I want to paint my stock wheels black and just mount some larger all terrains on them, but I'm not sure of the best way to accomplish that. I watched a video on plasti-dip, but I'm worried it might peel or scratch and I'll have to constantly re-apply it to keep it clean. Any ideas or things you've done yourself that could help me out?

Thanks in advance, I'm more than excited to join the Jeep community and have some fun!
You can use wheel paint or powder coating depending on the type of rims you have. If you have chrome wheels on them you'd have to remove the chrome first.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-10-2016, 06:14 AM
bAUMER
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think alot of people use plastidip on wheels so you can remove later. I want to do it bu have yet to build up the courage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in