Problem matching Velvet Red Pearl - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-11-2021, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
JABCAT

Problem matching Velvet Red Pearl

My wife's '20 Grand Cherokee High Altitude was hit by a large metal object that fell off a truck in front of her on the freeway. Thankfully the damage was pretty minor, but it did gash the front bumper which required total replacement of the lower bumper. The vehicle is Velvet Red Pearl, and the bodyshop is having issues matching the color. I've used this same body shop to paint a hood on our Granite Crystal Metallic Wrangler, a hood and two spoilers for my Inferno Orange Metallic Corvette, and they also repaired our previous Silver Metallic Mitsubishi Outlander that was rear ended. All the paint work has been excellent and matched perfectly every time (without any blending).

The issues their having is the color is coming out too dark and has almost no "shimmer" to it as the rest of the vehicle does. It's most noticable when the sun hits is as the rest of the car has a sparkle to it but the bumper has none. They've now had the car two weeks and still can't get it to match.

Their suggestion was to blend into the adjoining panels, which I refused for a couple of reasons. 1. Just what I said above, the color on the bumper is darker and doesn't have the "shimmer". 2. The hood and fenders are covered with Xpel paint protection film, which would have to be removed. Our insurance company has already refused to pay for the replacement of the Xpel that was on the front bumper, so if they remove the film on the hood and fenders that will cost us $2,000 out-of-pocket to be replaced. I'm not agreeing to that.

On a separate, but related note, I had ordered factory-match paint to paint the brake calipers using the paint code on the door jamb, and that too came out a dark maroon without any "shimmer". Again, I've ordered the same factory-match paint kits for my other vehicles using their paint code and have had it match every time. So I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the paint code itself?

Open to suggestions as we need the vehicle back & I am not going to accept it looking any different than it did brand new. Thanks!

2020 Grand Cherokee High Altitude 4x4

2016 Wrangler Unlimited Backcountry Edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-11-2021, 01:13 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

The issue is that it's a 3-stage pearl paint job. Pearls are pretty much impossible to get a perfect match on.
Add to that the fact that it's a urethane bumper cover, which requires an extra additive to be put in the paint to make it flexible which alters the color slightly.
If you're holding out for perfection, you'll be waiting a while.
I'd let them get it as close as they can and learn to live with it. The reality is that nobody but you will ever notice.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 14 Old 04-11-2021, 02:41 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Oh, and your brake calipers not 'shimmering' with the color match paint is again because of the pearl.
If you're not doing a full 3-stage pearl paint, it's not going to have that 'shimmer' that the pearl stage gives.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

post #4 of 14 Old 04-11-2021, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
JABCAT

Thanks for the reply and info on the 3-stage paint. I do expect the bumper to look like it did before it was hit, and the color currently is not even close to matching. The car was sitting out in the sun when they told us it was finished, pulling in from the street it looked like a different vehicle's bumper was on the car. I sent some pics to former eomplyees of the bodyshop that I know & their first response was "WHOA, I hope they're going to fix that".

Re: the brake caliper color, again it's not even a close match. It turned out a dull dark maroon. I don't care about the "shimmer" on the calipers, but was expecting a much closer match in color. Those I can just repaint, but a mis-matched bumper is not acceptable on a 4 month old, $56k vehicle is not acceptable.

post #5 of 14 Old 04-11-2021, 07:52 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Well, if the color is that far off, the body shop needs to work with their paint supplier to do a proper match, not just order by number.
This isn't necessarily a problem with the paint code. 2 vehicles with the same paint code can roll off the assembly line with slightly different shades. Variations in paint batches, slight differences in air pressure in the robots, even relative humidity on a given day can cause colors to vary.
A good paint supplier can color chip or even scan the vehicle for the best chance at a good match.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #6 of 14 Old 04-12-2021, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
JABCAT

Thanks again. According to the bodyshop they did scan the vehicle and it was still coming out wrong, so I'm guessing it's what you're saying with the 3-stage issue. Any suggestions on how to relay this info without them pulling the "customer is an idiot, we know what we're doing attitude" - which they already did when I refused to accept the vehicle the way it was?

post #7 of 14 Old 04-12-2021, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
JABCAT

*and please excuse any typos as I'm not able to edit my posts

post #8 of 14 Old 04-12-2021, 11:41 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

If they scan matched the paint and still can't get it right, I have no other suggestions. Somebody at that shop obviously isn't doing something right.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #9 of 14 Old 04-13-2021, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
JABCAT

Spoke to them again yesterday and they said their only recourse is to blend the fenders. They've spoken with the insurance company and received confirmation that they will pay for the reapplication of the Xpel ppf, but I'm still not too jazzed about the blending. What seems like it should have been a simple repair is now just annoying, and at this point we need the vehicle back. Thanks again for all the info on the paint & processs

post #10 of 14 Old 04-13-2021, 12:04 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm not a fan of blending either. Whenever you see a vehicle rolling down the road and one or 2 panels have the clearcoat peeling, but none of the rest of the vehicle is peeling at all, that's where the paint was blended.
Personally, I'd rather have the bumper be a shade off than have the fenders blended.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #11 of 14 Old 04-15-2021, 04:12 PM
Golden-Arm

Garage
talk to a dealership, with a bodyshop. how would they match the paint? maybe the paint isn't the same, even though the code might be right? using some aftermarket, off-brand pearl powder might be the issue? (what brand does mopar use, what brand does your guy use?) a pic of your paint would be nice, to see how bad it really is.

Uphill Slow, Downhill Fast, Tonnage First, Safety Last!
post #12 of 14 Old 04-15-2021, 06:54 PM
V8GCZJ

From what found your color code is RM/JRM. There is a site where you can cross reference the manufacture of the paint to the code but it's down. There is also a RM/JRM Redline Pearl that is real close to it.

http://paintref.com
post #13 of 14 Old 04-18-2021, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
JABCAT

Picked up the car and it is 100% than it was but still a little off. They blended the bumper with the top section of the fender but not the attached "flare" piece that curves around the wheel arch and meets the bumper. So in the sun you can tell those two sections are slightly different. They also seemed to concentrate the "shimmer" in the paint right where the two panels meet which makes it really noticable (to me anyway). The bumper and fenders are now just a shade lighter (and almost have a pinkish hue) to them whereas they were darker and dull maroon the first time they painted it.

As Kruzin mentioned earlier, I'm probably the only one that will ever notice. And in reality, the vehicle will be traded-in in probably less than 3 years anyway, so I need to not lose sleep over it. Thanks again

post #14 of 14 Old 04-18-2021, 07:23 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Keep in mind that as the vehicle ages, steel parts and urethane parts will age differently. They will naturally drift .

Unfortunately, though it looks really nice, pearl is very difficult to control. It's more black magic than science.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in