Paint the JEEP - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JoonHoss

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-09-2020, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Wranglerwild098

Paint the JEEP

Hey ALL!

So, i've been building a Jeep tj for some time now, I'm just down to the fuel delivery system + now body work. I'd like to do my own paint job, I've done everything else; built new engine, new tans, and transfer case etc. I'm looking for a simple/easy application... I've looked around at some guys using Rhino or Herculiner...

I'm looking for something tough/rugged and wont chip away too easily. This will only be a spring/summer vehicle so any paint job should last longer than usual (5-8 years).

Any suggestions on products to look into ?

Picture just for show.

Attached Thumbnails
be2517437d7acf6475a9a114ca2b42ca.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-09-2020, 12:12 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I would not use a bed line as a bodies paint, just my opinion. How well it looks after is all about how good you are at automotive painting. If its looks good from 50ft or from up close. But that is a matter of opinion on what people think looks good. To me any vehicle painted with bed line is a deal breaker, just pooted the value. Its very hard to go back to a real finish.

But paint a vehicle at home might even be illegal depending where you live. Most any good paint has hazards applying it. Some are deadly. Like say Imron with its 25% Isocyanate additives; means you need an out side air supply. Not a m95 or even a gas mask will work well enough. Full body suit as well.

I painted this car in my garage, have painted quite a few over the years. This one is in Imron fleet red and black single stage too. I had to rig the garage with not only an out side air supply to my suite but as well a way to get the fumes out of there as well. lined the walls in plastic and the ceiling. The over spray on this stuff is very hard to remove. But the paint is very tough, but any 2 part polymer epoxy is really. Just they are rather expensive too.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-09-2020, 12:14 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

post #4 of 6 Old 04-10-2020, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Wranglerwild098

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
I would not use a bed line as a bodies paint, just my opinion. How well it looks after is all about how good you are at automotive painting. If its looks good from 50ft or from up close. But that is a matter of opinion on what people think looks good. To me any vehicle painted with bed line is a deal breaker, just pooted the value. Its very hard to go back to a real finish.

But paint a vehicle at home might even be illegal depending where you live. Most any good paint has hazards applying it. Some are deadly. Like say Imron with its 25% Isocyanate additives; means you need an out side air supply. Not a m95 or even a gas mask will work well enough. Full body suit as well.

I painted this car in my garage, have painted quite a few over the years. This one is in Imron fleet red and black single stage too. I had to rig the garage with not only an out side air supply to my suite but as well a way to get the fumes out of there as well. lined the walls in plastic and the ceiling. The over spray on this stuff is very hard to remove. But the paint is very tough, but any 2 part polymer epoxy is really. Just they are rather expensive too.

Thanks for the response, but I’ll have to disagree. I’ve spent a few years slowly building this Jeep myself .. 0 mechanic background. This Jeep means the world to me and I’ll never sell it. So the value idc. I have seen plenty of trucks done but I’ve seen so many different products. I’m just wondering who’s using what and what is lasting the longest.

I’m leaning with rhino liner. Adding weight to a small body with a large engine won’t make a difference.

Thanks though. Stay safe out there hopefully everyone stays healthy during these times.

Cheers.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-18-2020, 07:16 PM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

If your talkin' about paintin' that yellow jeep in the photo-- man I would leave that be!!!
But if you do end up painting it-- I would go base clear instead of single stage and finish off with 3 coats of high solids clear.

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill
post #6 of 6 Old 04-23-2020, 09:40 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Please don't.

The prep work to do it correctly is the same as to paint it nicely. If you don't, it will peel off. Once on, the dirt and sun will make it look horrible soon after. Yes, I you can use a UV protectant over it, but more work; and more money. Rough surfaces, good luck with your seals and body lines. And forget toughing it up.

The difference is is, the 'best' liner job will look like the worst paint job, right from the start!

When was the last time you looked at a pickup bed a few years after having been lined and thought 'damn, that's sexy'???

I'm trying to be light hearted about it, but honestly, I think it's the quickest possible way to ruin what is already a great looking jeep , which you've obviously worked hard on and are proud of.

If the body was already crap, and you were going to beat it some more; I wouldn't even bother saying anything.

But... sincerely, please don('t ruin your jeep by slathering it in Bedliner.

Hoss
BlueFl.Wrangler likes this.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in