Paint issues - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 Old 11-25-2018, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
WJ04JGC

Update...cracking is considerably worse. Looks terrible!not Affectsarea painted.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 11-25-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
WJ04JGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ04JGC View Post
Update...cracking is considerably worse. Looks terrible!not Affectsarea painted.
Meant to say affect every area that was painted
post #18 of 23 Old 05-18-2019, 11:02 AM
pat master

Things like this can drive you nuts I have a 55 Chevy that I primed with my permanent rust sealer everywhere but the roof. The roof has now has sand swell marks. It has a basecoat clearcoat so this problem is not confined to just the lacquer. So I will have to tape the whole car off sand the roof with 220 grit put 2 coats of my silver primer and a coat of epoxy surfacer. Then comes the base and the clear. Do not try to wipe it off with lacquer thinner. Because you'll have a big mess and ruin the body filler. I hope this helps,, bodywork is always a pain in the ***.

post #19 of 23 Old 05-19-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
WJ04JGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat master View Post
Things like this can drive you nuts I have a 55 Chevy that I primed with my permanent rust sealer everywhere but the roof. The roof has now has sand swell marks. It has a basecoat clearcoat so this problem is not confined to just the lacquer. So I will have to tape the whole car off sand the roof with 220 grit put 2 coats of my silver primer and a coat of epoxy surfacer. Then comes the base and the clear. Do not try to wipe it off with lacquer thinner. Because you'll have a big mess and ruin the body filler. I hope this helps,, bodywork is always a pain in the ***.

thanks for the reply and info. It definitely is a pain. I actually just sprayed urethane base and clear on two of the affected panels today. Looks pretty good for an ameture.
To remove the paint, I used a 4" spackle knife and a heat gun.
post #20 of 23 Old 05-23-2019, 06:20 AM
pat master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ04JGC View Post
thanks for the reply and info. It definitely is a pain. I actually just sprayed urethane base and clear on two of the affected panels today. Looks pretty good for an ameture.
To remove the paint, I used a 4" spackle knife and a heat gun.
Great I'm glad it turned out Great. Before long you'll be a master painter. I've been doing paint bodywork for 40 years and now I'm done.The more I do it the worse I get. Every year I would swear to God I'll never paint another car as long as I live. Every year one would pop up. Is a good skill to have for younger people. A sense of pride for a job well done. Now you can live in fear that someone will plant a car door against it. Good luck
post #21 of 23 Old 05-24-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
WJ04JGC

Great I'm glad it turned out Great. Before long you'll be a master painter. I've been doing paint bodywork for 40 years and now I'm done.The more I do it the worse I get. Every year I would swear to God I'll never paint another car as long as I live. Every year one would pop up. Is a good skill to have for younger people. A sense of pride for a job well done. Now you can live in fear that someone will plant a car door against it. Good luck

Thanks

Not sure about the master painter part,lol!
I still have a few panels to do but it's coming out decent so far. My body work needs work I think!
Definitely not easy. I would rather do brakes or a starter.

Yeah, now I'm nervous with people parking close to me when I didn't care before...oh well, still "had" to do it! And it does give a sense of pride even though it's not perfect
post #22 of 23 Old 05-25-2019, 05:28 AM
pat master

If you want perfect use 2 different color primers. One over the other and when you sand the top primer off you should see only the bottom primer. This will help you know where the low and high spots are. Then you know your straight Your hand works better than your eyes when it comes to bodywork. In the next few years your bodywork will improve where everything is perfect and shiny when you get older you say screw it good enough.One other thing when you go panel by panel count the number of color coats and the distance of your gun so each panel will match Good luck
post #23 of 23 Old 05-25-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
WJ04JGC

Thanks for the the tips. I'm sure they will end with excellent results👍🏻. I think I will leave the next time to the body shop. Although in generally satisfied with my results, it's just too damn much work!
My hats off to the guys that do this for a living!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in