It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 126 Old 01-02-2019, 06:55 PM
xtremeasures
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My method is to not thin the paint thinking it could produce a more durable finish. It does take practice to keep the roller "loaded" with just enough paint to go on smooth and not too much to cause runs. Also once you start you can not go back without leaving roller marks or dullness. I did notice the first coat lays really flat and very added coat becomes more orange peelly. This most likely is due to the thicker amounts I apply and it shrivels as it dries. I've heard it can take months to fully cure.

I have a background in auto repair but left due to health reasons. My reasoning to go with the roll-on route was
1. Stop the surface rust due to old original paint deterioration and just bring back some shine

2. Health concerns, I do not have the costly fresh air system that is required for most all catalyst finishes.

3.Cheap

4. Easily repairable, when I started my plan was to not worry about the paint and fix when needed. Then the Bronco doubled in value within a few years, which changed its free rein from the stable.
post #123 of 126 Old 01-03-2019, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeasures View Post
My method is to not thin the paint thinking it could produce a more durable finish. It does take practice to keep the roller "loaded" with just enough paint to go on smooth and not too much to cause runs. Also once you start you can not go back without leaving roller marks or dullness. I did notice the first coat lays really flat and very added coat becomes more orange peelly. This most likely is due to the thicker amounts I apply and it shrivels as it dries. I've heard it can take months to fully cure.

I have a background in auto repair but left due to health reasons. My reasoning to go with the roll-on route was
1. Stop the surface rust due to old original paint deterioration and just bring back some shine

2. Health concerns, I do not have the costly fresh air system that is required for most all catalyst finishes.

3.Cheap

4. Easily repairable, when I started my plan was to not worry about the paint and fix when needed. Then the Bronco doubled in value within a few years, which changed its free rein from the stable.
I thinned to about 60% paint 40% water. First coat looked like I used colored milk. My hood was a mess and took 4 coats but the body looked great after the 3rd coat. It is a learn as you go process, at least it was for me. I also trusted what others has said about the process. Ultimately you get a real nice finish if you follow the general guidelines others have put forth for this process.

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....

post #124 of 126 Old 03-25-2019, 01:38 AM
Chasen11

thank you for you write up,i can learn some tips from it.
post #125 of 126 Old 03-25-2019, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasen11 View Post
thank you for you write up,i can learn some tips from it.
You are welcomed. I thought it was important to put my experience with this process in writing and share it with everyone.

That it got pinned to the beginning of this section of Jeep Forum was great.

I am no automotive spray painter for sure. The whole rolled on paint job process appealed to me so I took a chance, and tried it on my YJ.

I'm no kid and have health issues yet I ended up with a nice looking YJ IMHO!

Bottom line is If an old, sick guy can do it so can anyone else!

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
post #126 of 126 Old 05-15-2019, 07:26 PM
pat master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilNewJeeper View Post
I want to do the same, I bough Durabak Olive Drab paint and wanted to rolled it but not sure which rolls to use. I rattle canned it last year and it held good but Durabak its a better paint. Which rolls density do you recommend?
Thanks
I have had great luck with the shur line 4 and 6 inch foam rollers. Sometimes when I don't want to spray a hood or a deck lid I will roll-on my silver primer then follow it with my AG 111 topcoat. Add a little bit of thinner to the topcoat and do a scrap piece to see if it floats out
laybackman likes this.

Tags
budget paint , roll on , roll on paint job , rustoleum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in