Monstaliner Project for my 2004 TJ - project started with pics - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-29-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
matrix311
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Monstaliner Project for my 2004 TJ - project started with pics

As the subject states, I have finally started my Monstaliner project. I bought my 2004 TJ about a year ago and it looks like the previous owner was getting ready to paint it because the hood, tailgate and all the fenders were primered. The doors, grill and cowl/windshield frame were all in original paint still. Didnt look bad but didnt look great either so i've decided to monstaline just the painted parts only and I decided to go with Pyroclastic. I ordered the 1 gallon kit since I only have a small amount of painted surface to cover. My front fenders are custom tube fenders, the rock sliders are genright and the rear tube fenders are also genright and I had everything powder coated black earlier this year to match. So 1 gallon should be plenty to cover everything.

I've never done exterior bedliner before so this is my first time. I did the full tub of my YJ about 6 years ago with Monstaliner and it turned out great and held up well so i'm sold for doing it on my new TJ. I've scuffed the paint to get rid of the wax and shine. I'm still trying to decide if I should primer the doors or not. The hood and tailgate were already primered from the previous owner so i dont have to primer those. As far as bolt holes go, the easiest way to plug them i guess is with ear plugs so I've heard?

What are people doing with hinges like the tailgate hinge or door hinges? Are you lining those as well? Dont have to worry about liner getting inside the hinges clogging them or or anything?
I'm assuming the tub rail for the softtop is fine? I plan on bedlining the rail on top and below it. The liner shouldnt be think enough to prevent the soft top from fitting in the channel?

Besides scuffing the paint up, cleaning with soap and water and then wiping down with acetone, there shouldnt be anything else I need to prep for is there? As you'll see in the photos I've already taped everything off to make all the lines straight and clean.

I'll gladly take some advice from people who have done it in the past. Something you should have done or wished you would have done differently. I will be rolling it on the jeep, not spraying it. I bought extra rollers as well!

Here are photos of the progress right now.

Here is what the jeep looked like just before the start of the teardown and scuffing of the paint.

Photos of the project:

Hood removal:

Some AZ Pinstriping:

I was going to monstaline the grill but decided to paint it a flat black instead:

Grill removed, that was kind of a pain in the *** and a lot more work than I anticipated:

Starting to sand/scuff the paint. No turning back now:

Looks good:

The hood already primered from the previous owner:

Lets start masking everything off:

The workspace with our new JLUR in the background:

The Mosntaliner Kit:

This is taking quite a while, but i'm taking my time for good results:

Primer the grill:

Primer the cowl:

Painted where the rear tailgate hinges go since it had primer there. Didnt want to bedline this small part:

First coat of flat black paint on the grill:

Second coat, starting to look good! I plan on 3 maybe 4 coats of paint:

This is where i'm at right now. I will update with more photos as I progress.

Eric - *'92 White YJ, 4.5" custom Deaver springs, 35" MTRs, Tera-Low 4:1, CAI, Rear 8.8, Chromo D30, 4.88s, locked front/rear, full cage and front/rear tube fenders.
*'08 Silver Rubicon JKU 2.5" lift, 5.13's and 35's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-29-2018, 06:55 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great start. We always like pictures.

Ron

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
post #3 of 7 Old 11-03-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
matrix311
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Project is completed and i'm very happy with the results. I took my time with prep work and masking everything off to have as straight of lines as possible. I put two coats on and still had about 1/4 gallon left. Wish I could have used it all on other parts like my cage but I didnt prep that and the shelf life was already making it hard and goopy.

Here are some photos of the completed project. Again this was with Monstaliner and Pyroclastic color and the grill was painted a Rustoleum Flat Black rattle can.

I finished the grill and put it back in. Such a PIA to do especially with those tube fenders. Makes for a difficult job lining it all up.

Headlights are back in and the winch is mounted up again. Just need to respool the line.

Got my workspace all cleared out and ready to start rolling the liner on.

Used ear plugs to plug up some of the threaded holes I use.

Time to start rolling the first coat on:

2nd coat

Near completion:

Eric - *'92 White YJ, 4.5" custom Deaver springs, 35" MTRs, Tera-Low 4:1, CAI, Rear 8.8, Chromo D30, 4.88s, locked front/rear, full cage and front/rear tube fenders.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-03-2018, 08:55 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That is a really nice job. Good prep will make it last long.

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
post #5 of 7 Old 11-04-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
matrix311
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Doors are back on:

Since I had a lot of left over liner i decided to mask and paint the inside of the door jams. I originally left them red the original color. Glad I decided to paint them as it looks way better now.

Overall i'm very happy with the outcome. The color is perfect and exactly what I was looking for. It matches well with the black offset parts. If you have any questions please let me know! Please comment or provide feedback.

post #6 of 7 Old 11-04-2018, 08:43 AM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Looks great! I plan on doing my YJ with monstaliner.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-12-2018, 12:05 AM
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2010 JK Wrangler 

Awesome job congrats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Manufacturers of CHASSIS SAVERô Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Coating

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Connect with us on:

Watch How To Videos:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in