fluid film can anyone tell me about it that has used it? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-08-2009, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
ronsaun

2003 WJ 

fluid film can anyone tell me about it that has used it?

i am scared to death of rust! i am thinking of fluid filming the whole thing underneath and inside doors and jambs. can anyone who has used it tell me what you think? how long does it last? any drawbacks or issues? my rig is in michigan and they use a heck of alot of salt! thanks, ron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The real problem in snow states where they use alot of salt is the places where you cannot get to,inside the frame,spots in the body where it is sealed completly and collects water in time..etc
Only time the body rusts from outside in is when there is a bad spot missing paint.

Don't DREAM your life, LIVE your dreams

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Roadymi
1982 CJ7 

I know they use it on fertilizer application equipment and fertilizer is as nasty as salt. How often you have to reapply I have no idea. I would think in the fall and in the spring would be adequate.

post #4 of 17 Old 11-20-2009, 03:12 PM
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Fluid Film does a good job at inhibiting corrosion and can be applied to electronics. I used this when I worked on a remote tropical island for the USFWS and we applied it on a weekly basis to our radio and electrical equipment to prevent rust from forming. The salt air in that environment is highly corrosive and rusted my stainless steel leatherman in less than a month - probably comparable to MI roads in the winter.

I can't comment on the durability of an underbody application though - I would reapply maybe every couple of weeks to prevent any rust from forming, depending on road conditions. I would definitely reapply an underbody coat after heavy salt or rough road conditions because the film will be worn down from abrasion. If it is your budget you may want to consider a long lasting solution like POR-15.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-16-2010, 07:06 AM
02tjsport
2014 KL Cherokee 

I put some fluid film on my winch over a month ago and most all is still there. Even through several rains.

I bought a case of 12 for $65 shipped on another forum from a guy who works in the FF warehouse. Its amazing who you can meet on the internet.

'02 TJ Sport - 3.5" RE Springs/Mono-tubes; BFG A/T 33x12.50x15 on ProComp Black Steelies; JKS: BPE's, 1.25" BL, shock conversion, front Adj. TB's, quick discos, Extended Brake lines; FT 3-link rear; JCR 1-ton Steering; Warn 6" Flares; Olympic Slider Bumpers; OME SS; Taurus Electric Fan; 4.88 Gears; D30/D44 Detroit True-Trac Front/Rear;
post #6 of 17 Old 03-18-2010, 08:19 PM
89blackwidow
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I use fluid film on the aircraft I work on all the time and I also use it on the under carriage of my jeep. I shoot every area I can think of about 3 seperate times during the winter, It works excellent!
post #7 of 17 Old 03-18-2010, 09:06 PM
voicewithin
1985 CJ7 

oks..what is fluid fillming..?.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM
02tjsport
2014 KL Cherokee 

Let me google that for you

'02 TJ Sport - 3.5" RE Springs/Mono-tubes; BFG A/T 33x12.50x15 on ProComp Black Steelies; JKS: BPE's, 1.25" BL, shock conversion, front Adj. TB's, quick discos, Extended Brake lines; FT 3-link rear; JCR 1-ton Steering; Warn 6" Flares; Olympic Slider Bumpers; OME SS; Taurus Electric Fan; 4.88 Gears; D30/D44 Detroit True-Trac Front/Rear;
post #9 of 17 Old 03-29-2010, 12:11 PM
voicewithin
1985 CJ7 

..looks like a waste of money...
post #10 of 17 Old 03-29-2010, 01:49 PM
02tjsport
2014 KL Cherokee 

I guess how much of a waste depends on what you buy it for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxEvlPsGvRA

post #11 of 17 Old 01-08-2013, 12:41 PM
jake1250

I had several trucks with snow plows that we would soak at the beginning of the season......snow and salt rinses away effortlessly, and after 2 years since they were last sprayed, the trucks and plows are completely rust free.....Great stuff
post #12 of 17 Old 04-19-2013, 01:47 PM
APM32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsaun View Post
i am scared to death of rust! i am thinking of fluid filming the whole thing underneath and inside doors and jambs. can anyone who has used it tell me what you think? how long does it last? any drawbacks or issues? my rig is in michigan and they use a heck of alot of salt! thanks, ron
Fluid Film will last at least six months. No drawbacks. You can find 11.75oz cans at AutoZone.

Good Luck!
post #13 of 17 Old 04-19-2013, 01:49 PM
APM32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadymi View Post
I know they use it on fertilizer application equipment and fertilizer is as nasty as salt. How often you have to reapply I have no idea. I would think in the fall and in the spring would be adequate.
Last about 6-8 months.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-19-2013, 01:52 PM
APM32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02tjsport View Post
I put some fluid film on my winch over a month ago and most all is still there. Even through several rains.

I bought a case of 12 for $65 shipped on another forum from a guy who works in the FF warehouse. Its amazing who you can meet on the internet.
Rain will not wash off Fluid Film, you need a degreaser product. You can purchase the product now at most Automotive Stores. Try your local AutoZone Store. You can find it near the WD-40.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-19-2013, 01:57 PM
APM32

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicewithin View Post
oks..what is fluid fillming..?.
Fluid Film is a Lubricant that blocks out moisture & oxygen to keep metal from rusting. For the pasted 55 years it was used in the heavy duty marine market & oil rigs to prevent there equipment from rusting out. Also was used by NASA & Boeing on the Space Shuttle. It's eco-friendly and as a lubricant its one of the best because the product doesn't evaporate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in