richardclarkjr
1994 XJ Cherokee 

U have to b real carefull

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 03-31-2012, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Ok guys- Just put down two nice coats of the AE. It looks GREAT.. I used a different hardener and added reducer this time. It's safe to say it was the lack of reducer that caused the texture.

I would be completely done, but I accidentally leaned up a bit against the passenger fender while painting the cowl! I plan to wait 24 hours for the paint to cure a bit.. and then I'll sand that little area and touch it up.

Really happy with the finish..
post #33 of 45 Old 04-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid Jeep View Post
Hey guys.. I just got done priming my Jeep after sanding it for a week. The primer is still doing the "texture" thing.. what am I doing wrong here? The 2k high build primer I'm using says that a reducer is not required. Really.. I just need to know why my paint is being sprayed on in big globs instead of a fine mist.
I think everyone missed this little part......

2k high build primers are meant to be sanded after applied..its a primer to fill low spots..2k high build primers are what they say they are.."high build"..which means it does spray on like a texture so it can be sanded smooth and have a high build

You should of used an Epoxy Primer reduced 20% or more to make a sealer and spray smooth before the final coats or use any good sealer primer...

2k High build is for the body work stage..not the final "spray n go"

Don't DREAM your life, LIVE your dreams

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 45 Old 04-01-2012, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Thanks for your reply Iron... I did use the 2k High build.. and yes, I sanded (profusely) before I put down my color. I am very happy with the results it gave.. very smooth surface.. high hiding.. etc.
post #35 of 45 Old 04-01-2012, 12:18 PM
40dog

1988 YJ Wrangler 

so now you have to be happy with yourself. Don't worry about the goof up with leaning on the new paint .common mistake with first /in your case second timers.I'm glad to here of your success this time around.I f you check your tech sheet for the paint and hardener it will tell you when you are safe to nib sand to remove minor defects from the new paint .Some times you can nib sand a few hours later and shoot re-coat on a goof area then . cant wait for the new pictures .congrats
post #36 of 45 Old 04-01-2012, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Hey guys - unfortunately the paint didn't turn out as nice as it looked yesterday. There is a slight orange peel to the finish. It's not NEARLY as bad as the first time, but.. still there. I have decided to go BC/CC. With my lack of expertise .. the single stage will never be to my liking. The BC/CC offers at least some level of forgiveness! I'll be back with pics after I try that route.
post #37 of 45 Old 04-01-2012, 06:12 PM
HankyDanky

1989 XJ Cherokee 

You have to scuff it again to spray the CC. Your past your window.

1989 Cherokee 4.0l, Rubicon Express 4.5" XJ Super-Flex System, 33x12.50x15 KM2's

The XJ Rebuild-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People are always grabbing the handles, clutching the seat, or stomping an imaginary brake peddle when we're out having fun.
post #38 of 45 Old 04-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I never seen anyone ask what kind of gun you are using?..size tip for the top coats?...and what compressor are you running and what CFM's does it put out?..do you have a good filtration system?....all this plays a MAJOR part in a nice finish with a gun...if you feel the need to call a real pro..go to the SPI website(Southern Polyurethanes Inc) and get Barry's number off the site..he answers his phone unlike others and WILL help you all he can..and he is considered one of the best gun slingers out there....

He has helped so many amatures on the phone lay a show quality finish on their rods and show cars its uncountable...there is also a GOOD read on his website on how to setup your gun properly to its best and how to set it up for the best spray pattern

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...
post #39 of 45 Old 04-01-2012, 08:42 PM
richardclarkjr
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Ive done body n paint for years its what i do for a luving im a frame technician n a painter i would b more then happy to help u with how to do ne job or ne thing i coyld b of help with feel free to call me ne time my name is rick my number is (302)345-2123 ive been in the news journal a number of times for restorations ive compleated my most recent wad a 1967 gto frame off restoration i dont mean to sound concieted but im damn good at what u do n would b more then happy to spread the knowledge n secrets i know......
post #40 of 45 Old 04-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardclarkjr View Post
Ive done body n paint for years its what i do for a luving im a frame technician n a painter i would b more then happy to help u with how to do ne job or ne thing i coyld b of help with feel free to call me ne time my name is rick my number is (302)345-2123 ive been in the news journal a number of times for restorations ive compleated my most recent wad a 1967 gto frame off restoration i dont mean to sound concieted but im damn good at what u do n would b more then happy to spread the knowledge n secrets i know......
Sounds like to good an offer to pass up for the OP...

I noticed your area code is 302..i grew up in Newark Delaware(Brookside) right down the road from Wilmington and still visit family n freinds up there quite a bit,my best freind and i had a hobby shop in Wilmington close to Elsmere yearsssss ago and we were BIG Poncho boys and raced them at Cecil County alot

Never forget 9/11

post #41 of 45 Old 04-02-2012, 12:11 AM
richardclarkjr
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Ya i still run my camaro at cecil every year im bout five min from brookside n use to work in wilmington all though i must say ive grown very tired of delaware. I c ur name iron worker my cousin is a fellow iron worker local 429 out of elsmere
post #42 of 45 Old 04-02-2012, 03:17 AM
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ya i still run my camaro at cecil every year im bout five min from brookside n use to work in wilmington all though i must say ive grown very tired of delaware. I c ur name iron worker my cousin is a fellow iron worker local 429 out of elsmere
The Wilmington local is 451...i started there in '78

Never forget 9/11

post #43 of 45 Old 04-02-2012, 07:22 AM
richardclarkjr
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Thats what it is i thought i was wrong
post #44 of 45 Old 04-02-2012, 07:25 AM
richardclarkjr
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Uve been doing it a long while i c i wasnt even thought of then
post #45 of 45 Old 04-02-2012, 09:24 AM
HankyDanky

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Uve been doing it a long while i c i wasnt even thought of then
Your reply's are hurting my brain...

1989 Cherokee 4.0l, Rubicon Express 4.5" XJ Super-Flex System, 33x12.50x15 KM2's

The XJ Rebuild-

People are always grabbing the handles, clutching the seat, or stomping an imaginary brake peddle when we're out having fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in