"Farm and Impliment" tractor paint on a jeep. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-14-2021, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
OldHoist

1972 CJ5 

"Farm and Impliment" tractor paint on a jeep.

Considering painting my jeep with some tractor paint, has anyone around here used that? I see it comes in white so would I be able to get it colored at a paint store? I assume I should add a hardener when spraying it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-15-2021, 03:27 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

No, you can't tint 'white' paint to get a different color. There are different base paints that get tinted for a different paint colors, they are not a true white that then get tinted. Yes you will want to add hardener if you are going to spray it, you will also want the correct thinner. There should be a spec on the can for what hardener and thinner to use to apply the implement paint. Assuming you are looking at Van Sickle paint, here is there pre-tinted paint color card.

https://www.vansicklepaint.com/docum...nd-color-guide

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 8 Old 11-15-2021, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
OldHoist

1972 CJ5 

Will go with Mausoleum because its easiest to get. Do they sell self etching primer in gallon cans?

post #4 of 8 Old 11-16-2021, 10:39 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Assuming you mean Rust-Oleum paint.... I do not see where they offer self-etching in anything other than a rattle can.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #5 of 8 Old 11-16-2021, 05:30 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
You can get a gallon of say self etching primer for bare metal shipped under $60 from say Summit racing bu that was just the first one that pop up in search.

To do a whole jeep would take a lot of cans, and you dont get the same coverage as say a spray gun or finish for sure. Hard to keep a wet line on larger stuff with a rattle can..

I would just get a single stage paint that has all the line of extras like( acrylic is the lowest cost of stuff, then you get into the epoxy type stuff can get expensive polyurethanes< but tough as nails too. it is what they tend to use on Farm and commercial stuff ; drying agent, reducers etc. single stage i have used before even had a high gloss agent as well. wont be 30 bucks for white cost i bet. Places on line or if local prices can at least come close. Issue is shipping this stuff has has mat charge, that primer i looked at said like 10 bucks for added shipping for that gallon but you dont know maybe a box of stuff is one charge?

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-16-2021, 10:15 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rust opium is tintable at our Menards. Yes to adding a hardener.
Check out Kirker paint at Autobody tool mart. Reasonable cost and good quality
I’ve sprayed both and prefer the Kirker for the better results.
Post some pics of your project

Ron

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
post #7 of 8 Old 11-18-2021, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
OldHoist

1972 CJ5 

Yea Rust-Oleum, auto correct got me again. The heck is "Mausoleum"?? I have a paint gun so spraying is no problem. The jeep was already primed by the previous owner I just need to touch up a few spots that got some surface rust, guess I should stick with regular primer then?
post #8 of 8 Old 11-18-2021, 06:09 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHoist View Post
Considering painting my jeep with some tractor paint, has anyone around here used that? I see it comes in white so would I be able to get it colored at a paint store? I assume I should add a hardener when spraying it?
You can probably get a reasonable paint in Home depot, they'll match whatever sample you want.

While it might seem easy to match a color adding tints, it will not work at all like you expect (unless you have years of paint mixing as an artist). Let their computer do the job.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in