Engine Bay Parts Painting CJ7 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-25-2020, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
SeaDog01712

Garage
Engine Bay Parts Painting CJ7

Hello everyone,

I am currently refinishing brackets and components out of my CJ7's engine bay such as the power steering pump brackets, power steering pump, etc. For these brackets and other parts that are connected to the block but are not part of it, do I need to use high temp paint? The reason I ask is because I have the Rustoleum Acrylic Enamel which says it is rated to 200 degrees Farenheight and I would rather not paint everything only for it to be damaged by the heat. If this will not work, what recommendations do yall have. Thanks for your help in advance!

Jeeps...A family tradition:

Father: 1985 Red CJ-7
Me: 1983 Orange CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-27-2020, 12:51 AM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

No need for high heat paint. The RustOpium works well and will last many years.

Ron

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
post #3 of 10 Old 01-27-2020, 12:54 AM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you want to get fancy spray it with a cheap Harbor Freight touch up gun. And add some Valspar brand hardener. This will make it dry faster and last longer.

Ron

Registered Six Offender

post #4 of 10 Old 01-27-2020, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
SeaDog01712

Garage
Thank you for the advice! Do you have an opinion on rustoleum compared to Duplicolor's enamel paints? If I recall correctly, rustoleum tends to have a fading problem? And what primer would you recommend for bare metal if it is prepped well (scuffed and treated with mineral spirits)?

Thanks again

post #5 of 10 Old 01-27-2020, 09:01 AM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog01712 View Post
Thank you for the advice! Do you have an opinion on rustoleum compared to Duplicolor's enamel paints? If I recall correctly, rustoleum tends to have a fading problem? And what primer would you recommend for bare metal if it is prepped well (scuffed and treated with mineral spirits)?

Thanks again
Duplicolor is over priced compared to Krylon or Rust-Oleum.

Mineral spirits MAY NOT be the best surface prep...Lacquer thinner or acetone are much more universal and leave no residue.

Oil-based red oxide primer is superior for durability. But use the formula recommended by the paint you want to color with, as each brand may not be inter-compatible due to the solvent used.

For small parts, a nice oven or even sun-baking will enhance it's curing.

Use High Gloss for fade resistance and good cleaning, but note that common underhood chemicals CAN destroy the gloss.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-27-2020, 10:20 AM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you are not using wax and grease remover or final wipe chlorinated brake clean is great. Gutthans is correct saying most of these will fade if used in direct sun light like a front bumper. I also use the rusty metal primer.
Are you thinking of using spray cans or a paint gun?

Ron

Registered Six Offender
post #7 of 10 Old 01-27-2020, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
SeaDog01712

Garage
Good to know the surface prep info as the prep work can make or break the paint work. I guess fading shouldn't be too much of an issue since the hood is shut most of the time.

I am leaning more towards rattle cans for the ease of use and budget, understanding that they may not be as good as other alternatives. However, I am open to other suggestions and ideas. Thanks.

post #8 of 10 Old 02-10-2020, 08:55 AM
pat master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog01712 View Post

Thanks again
I've been involved in industrial coatings for three decades. In salt fog tests these two products do not fare well at all.. They are usually the very first to fail. The next thing that failed was calcium sulfonate coatings. The third thing to fall apart is the zinc phosphate epoxy primer. there is a video on YouTube called POR 15, KBS, chassis saver salt fog test.I noticed there is no mention of any kind acid etch in this thread. Acid etching neutralizes the rust that's not apparent to the naked eye, improves the surface profile of the metal for paints and coatings to adhere better. It adds long-term corrosion protection for coatings that are not airtight.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-10-2020, 12:02 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat master View Post
I noticed there is no mention of any kind acid etch in this thread.
I believe that some types of rattle can formulas are 'self-etching', and I would assume that is an 'acidic etch'? As a former tech, do you have a suggestion for the OP about rattle can shooters, or are you only thinking that 2 part or other spray preps are worth the trouble?
post #10 of 10 Old 02-10-2020, 02:04 PM
pat master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutthans View Post
I believe that some types of rattle can formulas are 'self-etching', and I would assume that is an 'acidic etch'? As a former tech, do you have a suggestion for the OP about rattle can shooters, or are you only thinking that 2 part or other spray preps are worth the trouble?
These are acid etching solutions that contains zinc. Rattle cans are very convenient and work well. With the zinc residue left on the steel it adds a great deal of corrosion protection.They now have two-part paints in spray cans and they work well also.You can use metal prep's from all your favorite vendors. The one I developed does not require a water rinse. In a place like Florida if you hose down the metal prep it will rust like crazy

When you spray with a rattle can spray in one direction only avoid going back and forth. This has worked well for me and it's a tip I picked up years ago

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in