Degreaser - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-13-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
JeepinJeff72

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Degreaser

So I'm looking to find out what everyone has to say about what they use for a degreaser. I'm in the market for a good HD one. I tend to stay away from ones with color or dye. I used to use STP Oomph several years ago, which was awesomely strong stuff but was discontinued for reasons unknown. According to the MSDS active ingredients, Gunk uses other ingredients plus all of the same minus an ingredient called alkyl polyglucoside (which as I understand it is a surfactant used in various products like dish wash detergent).

The one we use in the shop where I work isn't much of a great heavy duty degreaser and it also has a green tint.

One friend who works at a detail shop recommended AutoMagic products. All of theirs have various colors and are also scented. I don't know how much trust I put in a detail shops degreasers for age old buildup of grease, oil, dirt & grime.. AutoMagics strongest, called "Red Hot" is advertised to smell like cinnamon. I joked I'll be smelling like a rolling cinnamon roll all the time & why am I always craving Cinnabon?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 12:19 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thinking you are over thinking this. I use Purple Power. And here is why.
I had this Dollar Store dog bone car washing sponge. Was kind of beat up so decided to buy a new one.
Well to get that last bit of use out of it I decided to use it to clean the inside of my wheels when I was doing by semi-annual detailing of my Jeep.
Figured I would just throw it out when done.
I destroyed that sponge. That thing had more grime, dirt, grease, etc on it then you can imagine.
I mean if I wiped it on something would have left a snail trail like you would not believe.
Just happened that I had a bucket with Purple Power in it, diluted with water (Can't tell you the ratio. Was just an eyeball thing.), going at the time.
So I just threw it in the bucket to put it somewhere till I had a chance to walk it over to the dumpster.
Couple hours later I am done. Cleaning up, putting things away, etc.
So I reach into the bucket to get the sponge to throw it out and could not believe how clean it was.
I mean back to where it was before I destroyed it cleaning the wheels.
I still have this sponge to use for the inside of the wheels. I just clean it with the Purple Power when done.
This is why I am sold on Purple Power.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
JeepinJeff72

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
You might be right about the overthinking. We have used purple power in a pinch to clean our shop floor. However. I don't know whether to call it residue or (?) - the next day, while cleaning the floor, hosing the floor with water, it was picking up purple from the day(s) prior..

post #4 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 07:52 AM
K0LCB

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I use Blue Dawn

L. C. AKA LEONARD
Itís a Jeep thing
post #5 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 08:18 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

This, and a pressure washer.

Attached Images

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 10:24 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJeff72 View Post
You might be right about the overthinking. We have used purple power in a pinch to clean our shop floor. However. I don't know whether to call it residue or (?) - the next day, while cleaning the floor, hosing the floor with water, it was picking up purple from the day(s) prior..

Is the floor sealed?
There another thing I use Purple Power for. That is instead of the POR 15 Cleaner/Degreaser when I am POR 15'ing things. I use it straight. Least pretty sure I do. Rinse it off, blow it dry, use the POR 15 Metal Prep though, rinse again, blow it dry and then POR 15 it. My point is that the POR 15 seems to be holding. If there was any residue on there after the rinse thinking there would be a problem. Of course the Metal Prep might just be killing any residue making it not matter.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 10:31 AM
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
Oven cleaner. Avoid using it on aluminum though.

~Chris
His: 2004 WJ - OME HD 'Kolak' Lift -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 1979 J-10 - 3" on 33s -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 2009 Expedition
His: 1978 F250 Custom -

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
"You can't recycle tartar sauce."
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_80 View Post
Weird, I didn't realize you could use vomit as coolant.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
JeepinJeff72

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph777 View Post
Is the floor sealed?
There another thing I use Purple Power for. That is instead of the POR 15 Cleaner/Degreaser when I am POR 15'ing things. I use it straight. Least pretty sure I do. Rinse it off, blow it dry, use the POR 15 Metal Prep though, rinse again, blow it dry and then POR 15 it. My point is that the POR 15 seems to be holding. If there was any residue on there after the rinse thinking there would be a problem. Of course the Metal Prep might just be killing any residue making it not matter.
Not sealed or very little. Most of the (concrete) floor is chipped, cracked or just in bad shape..

I didn't know there was a specific metal prep for POR15. Good to know. Thank you. I plan to POR15 my frame once I can get my Jeep to sit still lol. Loong story. Attached is it's current status.

post #9 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
JeepinJeff72

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Oven cleaner. Avoid using it on aluminum though.
Good one. I had heard of using oven cleaner to remove undercoating, which is what I'll probably do. Thank you.

post #10 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 11:28 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Not sealed or very little. Most of the (concrete) floor is chipped, cracked or just in bad shape..

I didn't know there was a specific metal prep for POR15. Good to know. Thank you. I plan to POR15 my frame once I can get my Jeep to sit still lol. Loong story. Attached is it's current status.

Thinking the floor not being sealed, bad shape, exactly how well you rinsed the floor, etc might account for some of the Purple Power still kind of being on the floor.

What kind of shape is your frame in? Rusty metal or mostly cleaner metal?
I ask because if it is rusty metal then I highly recommend the POR 15. And just so you know they do sell the Metal Prep in gallons. Thinking for a job that big a quart container won't cut it. Now is it necessary to use the Metal Prep? Is there a cheaper alternative that you can use like how I use Purple Power instead of the POR 15 Cleaner/Degreaser? Don't know. Follow the instructions. I believe prep is important. But not so much with rusty metal.

It is the cleaner metal that I am not 100% sure if POR 15 is your best solution. It is the cleaner metal that I think prep is way more important. I have been using it on cleaner metal. It seems to be holding up but the jury is still out on this. Some of the things I have been doing with cleaner metal is scuffing it up. First I clean it up. Scuff it up good. Then clean it again. Then I have been using the Metal Prep keeping it wet for twice as long as the instructions say. The POR 15 has the rust to bite into and hold. Cleaner metal there is not really anything for the POR 15 to bite into. Hence the scuffing up.

Depending on the condition of your frame you might want to consider other options. Chassis Saver being one that people seem to talk about.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-15-2019, 01:21 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just so you know.
When I first discovered POR 15 I bought one of those little starter kits to "play" with it. Not clue about it and was curious.
First POR 15 goes a lot farther then you would think.
So I did little things on my Jeep. For instance where the seams on floor pans are on an XJ they want to rust there.
So I followed the instructions and POR 15'ed all the little spots I want to.
Had some left in that little 4 ounce can. So I just slapped the rest of it around. No prep. No wire brushing.
So on the cleaner metal it pretty much peeled off. Hey, pretty much what I expected.
Now on the rusty metal whole different story.
I reached up as far as I could and slapped some on the gas tank heat shield. Again no prep at all.
Well a couple years later I hung a gas tank skid.
Here is a shot of the heat shield.
Now granted I do not drive the Jeep much. Also am a big believer in Fluid Film. Do it yearly for the winter. They do use that crap on the roads where I live.
Attached Images

post #12 of 15 Old 06-15-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
JeepinJeff72

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph777 View Post
Just so you know.
When I first discovered POR 15 I bought one of those little starter kits to "play" with it. Not clue about it and was curious.
First POR 15 goes a lot farther then you would think.
So I did little things on my Jeep. For instance where the seams on floor pans are on an XJ they want to rust there.
So I followed the instructions and POR 15'ed all the little spots I want to.
Had some left in that little 4 ounce can. So I just slapped the rest of it around. No prep. No wire brushing.
So on the cleaner metal it pretty much peeled off. Hey, pretty much what I expected.
Now on the rusty metal whole different story.
I reached up as far as I could and slapped some on the gas tank heat shield. Again no prep at all.
Well a couple years later I hung a gas tank skid.
Here is a shot of the heat shield.
Now granted I do not drive the Jeep much. Also am a big believer in Fluid Film. Do it yearly for the winter. They do use that crap on the roads where I live.
I think floorpan rust is all too common among all Jeeps. A lot of foot action/chaffing there.

Putting it together - idk if this is accurate: Did you start experimenting the purple power process after trial & error of por15s prep alone not "holding up"?!

On the gas tank skid, did you slap the por15 on without removing it - is the rusty area pictured a mating or inaccessible surface you didn't por15?

Thank you.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-16-2019, 01:57 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I think floorpan rust is all too common among all Jeeps. A lot of foot action/chaffing there.
Maybe. The floor pans inside my '00 XJ are extremely clean. At least the parts where I have pulled up the carpet here and there. Where I POR 15'ed is where the seams meet underneath the Jeep. Not in the Jeep.

Quote:
Putting it together - idk if this is accurate: Did you start experimenting the purple power process after trial & error of por15s prep alone not "holding up"?!
Little confused by your question. Let me start with this. You should research instructions for POR 15.
Then you will know what I mean when I say proper prep below.

POR 15 appears to holding up fine with proper prep on rusty metal.
Substituting Purple Power for POR 15 Cleaner/Degreaser does not seem to have effected anything.
POR 15 seems to hold up really well on rusty metal without proper prep. No wire brushing off loose stuff. No cleanering/degreasing. No metal prep. I would still wire brush and properly prep anyway though.

POR 15 with no prep does not hold up on clean metal.

Because it does not seem to hold up on cleaner metal with no prep I have made some adjustments to how I prep for cleaner metal. My thinking is that the rusty metal gives the POR 15 something to "bite" to. Clean metal does offer the same "bite".

So I clean and degrease. Rinse and let dry. Scuffing up the clean metal with a coarser grit sand paper. Clean and degrease again. Rinse and let dry again.
Keeping wet with the Metal Prep for 1/2 hour maybe a little more. Rinsing and letting dry. Then putting on two thin coats as per the instructions.

My hope is that scuffing up gives the POR 15 something to "bite" to on the cleaner metal. Hoping Metal Prepping longer will help too.

I say the jury is still out as to how well this will hold up cause I want to see what happens a few years after I do it.
So far so good though on the cleaner metal but not convinced yet.

Quote:
On the gas tank skid, did you slap the por15 on without removing it - is the rusty area pictured a mating or inaccessible surface you didn't por15?
The gas tank heat shield, not skid, was in place when I just slapped on some POR 15 with no prep what so ever.
The rust you do see in the picture is where it was inaccessible.
The rest of the gas tank heat shield, that I was able to get some POR 15 on, was rusted pretty much the same.
This is why I say it looks like it holds up on rusty metal with no prep what so ever.
I would still properly prep as per the instructions anyway.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-28-2019, 05:52 PM
Gavins93jeep

I use diesel or Gunk degreaser, it works pretty good!😁
post #15 of 15 Old 08-10-2019, 09:03 PM
tinker000

1984 CJ7 

We use Purple Power at work diluted and it cleans dirty, greasy Bobcat equipment just fine. However, after doing a repair where there's lots of oil inside the machine we use this Spray Nine product: Grez-Off. It is just as caustic as the Purple Power, so where gloves - also try not to breath the mist it gets in your throat (cough, cough). This stuff will even remove light concrete splatters from paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20190810-225733_Chrome_1565492284964.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in