CJ7 Rear Corner/Panel Damage Fixing - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-02-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
SeaDog01712

Garage
CJ7 Rear Corner/Panel Damage Fixing

Hey Yall!

I posted this originally in the CJ Forum of Jeep Forum but realized this may be the better location to find help.

The other day, my Jeep was sitting on a slight incline with the parking brake on (was running so not in gear) when the parking brake failed and released itself while I was in the house. Long story short, it slowly rolled back about 6 feet and slid against the family truck. The damage occurred to the rear corner and quarter panel (behind door opening). I am trying to figure out a way to fix these body problems as best as I can, understanding that some may not be fixable. My main concern is in the area to the rear of the wheelwell where it is bent inwards (no crease) and the front section of the rear wheelwell because it is bent out and dented, making the attachment of a new fender flare nearly impossible.

As the Jeep rolled backward, the corner panel caught the edge of the family truck's bumper, denting it. As the Jeep continued rolling, the fender flare bent inwards as the Jeep turned to be completely parallel to the truck, bending the sheet metal in without a crease. Then, the front of the flare snagged, ripping off, and buckling the bottom, front section of the wheelwell outwards. Finally, two small dents formed on the quarterpanel behind the door opening where the vertical brace is on the inside of the tub (brace not damaged).

If anyone has any advice on how to fix this damage, please let me know. The dents do not matter much, as I am more concerned in the attachment of the fender flare. I have slowly been working at it with an improvised hammer and dolly using my basic knowledge of the tool's usage. Also, if anyone has any advice on how to approach fixing the parking break that would be awesome

Hopefully, this thread will be useful to other Jeepers who may have similar damage from trees/rocks on the trail or big metallic rocks with four wheels on the road

Thanks guys!

Attached Thumbnails
Jeep1.jpg   Jeep2.jpg   Jeep3.jpg   Jeep4.jpg   Jeep5.jpg  

Jeep6.jpg  

Jeeps...A family tradition:

Father: 1985 Red CJ-7
Me: 1983 Orange CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-04-2019, 01:52 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Instead of a hammer and dolly Id start on the light crease with a board as a backup and a rubber mallet to prevent more damage.

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
post #3 of 5 Old 11-04-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
SeaDog01712

Garage
Thank you very much for the advice rjbduzan. I will definitely have to try that tomorrow as avoiding more damage is more important than accidentally making a current issue worse.

post #4 of 5 Old 11-04-2019, 06:30 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Also check out the paintless dent repair on you tube

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
post #5 of 5 Old 11-05-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
SeaDog01712

Garage
Thanks again for the guidance! Found some helpful videos involving paintless dent repair.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in