Best overcoat for plasti-dip - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-02-2015, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Tman96

Best overcoat for plasti-dip

Ok I did it, I used the infamous plasti-dip and honestly it looks great but is very weak. I painted my rims and grill. When I got new tires the tire shop tore through the dip and on the grill hitting bugs at highway speeds embeds them in it and if you go to pick them out the dip peels up. So I was wondering if any clear coat of some sort would make the stuff more durable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-05-2015, 05:46 AM
karlo

The plastidip enhancer/glossifier can make the finish more durable.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-07-2015, 02:06 PM
Leftka
2004 LJ Wrangler 

if you like the look and aren't going to be interested in changing it, try using rust oleum spray on bedliner. it sells in wally world for around $7.50 a can. I did my grill, beat up stock rims, fender flares, mirrors, bumpers, etc...it very easy to use, has a great satin/matte finish with fine grit texture like 220 sand paper. it only comes in black, but you can put a color on top of it. it is very durable and easy to clean.
Attached Thumbnails
2265449d1437277620-rust-oleum-spray-bedliner-renews-stock-rims-image.jpg  

post #4 of 5 Old 08-08-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Tman96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftka
if you like the look and aren't going to be interested in changing it, try using rust oleum spray on bedliner. it sells in wally world for around $7.50 a can. I did my grill, beat up stock rims, fender flares, mirrors, bumpers, etc...it very easy to use, has a great satin/matte finish with fine grit texture like 220 sand paper. it only comes in black, but you can put a color on top of it. it is very durable and easy to clean.
that looks pretty good, how easy is it to remove as I'm not the greatest masker in the world.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-07-2015, 11:14 PM
Manu_73
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman96 View Post
that looks pretty good, how easy is it to remove as I'm not the greatest masker in the world.
In my experience this stuff is more permanent but it works great I have used it on bumpers, rocker guards, and even right on the end of my hood. To make masking easier get the right tape. For sharp curves thinner tape makes it easier to follow the lines like 1/4 inch or smaller. Use as long of pieces as possible. Then work your way up in tape size just covering everything It takes patience but pays off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in