• 1 Post By Kruzin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-12-2019, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
W5KGP

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
93 XJ Door Issues- Help!

Hi all!!
So I just recently got a project Jeep XJ (1993) and I noticed the doors have some issues.
Front DS practically Permalocked closed. Interior door handle linkage is broken and does not work.. Exterior doesn't want to work regardless of any jostling, coercing, or caressing. I can still get in via Passenger door for now, but may not last long LOL and rear driver side door also doesn't work from either side. I know these issues are due to gunk from yonder but once I open them... anything I can do besides lubing it all up to prevent it?

What about mods to the door handle/ lock system? I'd like to remove the doors sometimes during the summer but still have security.. cause as we say in Albuquerque... "Come for the balloons, stay cause your car is stolen"

Also sorry if this is the wrong thread... kinda new and this is a pressing (feels like it) matter

Bluegrass is the vessel of which the Banjo's sole soul speaks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-12-2019, 02:31 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

You need to get inside the door to manipulate the linkage/latch and repair/replace as needed. To get inside the door, you can either pull the driver's seat out to try to get the door's trim panel off, or sacrifice the door trim and cut a big hole in it.

And XJ doors don't come off like a Wrangler. XJ is a unibody vehicle, and the door are an integral part of the structure. Driving with the doors off will heavily damage/twist/bend the unibody.
W5KGP likes this.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 3 Old 04-12-2019, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
W5KGP

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
Driving with the doors off will heavily damage/twist/bend the unibody.
That I did not know.. Good to know! I'll see if I can take off the trim panels. Honestly.. Kinda tempted in just leaving them off anyways. most of them already have holes and I don't mind a little rough looking interior.

I also take what you said, as if the hinges are loose (welds are deteriorating) I should get them rewelded?

Bluegrass is the vessel of which the Banjo's sole soul speaks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in