YJ Rear Winch - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-10-2021, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Never_done
1992 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Rear Winch

Been toying with the idea of rebuilding the rear of my YJ to accommodate a rear winch. My jeep has already been stretched 5", rear of the frame has been repaired/reinforced. The rear bumper currently there is definitely not up to the abuse I put things through so I am going to build better, also my my winch leaves some to be desired so get better for the front and move current to the rear. And I think also going backwards a few inches isn't going to hurt my feelings as it will allow for a little more cargo space if needed. I need to be able to maintain the ability of opening the rear gate, I run a fuel cell crammed in back there so I have to be able to open the gate to put fuel in.

Anyone have any suggestions? Any thoughts on the topic? I have a few ideas of my own but am always open to other suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-27-2021, 10:15 PM
pg_jglr
1981 CJ5 

I had a similar idea but I was only going to have 1 winch but have it receiver mounted and try to integrate a hitch to both bumpers somehow.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-28-2021, 03:45 AM
Liselelal

nice

post #4 of 7 Old 09-30-2021, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Never_done
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_jglr View Post
I had a similar idea but I was only going to have 1 winch but have it receiver mounted and try to integrate a hitch to both bumpers somehow.
I considered doing some sort of movable winch but everyone I ever seen on those hitch mounts has bent the mount. Plus I want to get a better winch so this one will either end up on the back or maybe on my trailer. I dunno

I do really think I want some more cargo space so I decided to at least start the task of building a bigger bumper and I am going to build in a winch plate to the middle. I also think I might build in some small corner boxes to keep some small tools and other fun stuff that lives under my seat. Will see how ambitious I get. But I did pick up some tubing the other day to extend my frame rails a little bit so once I get the urge to begin this project I am ready.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-04-2021, 10:26 AM
pg_jglr
1981 CJ5 

You have a good point. Reciever hitches are probably designed for a load mainly in one direction (in line with the hitch) but a winch could be pulling any which way...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 Old 10-08-2021, 09:26 AM
bgredjeep

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had one for a few years as a suck-down winch for the rear suspension. I used it 1 time to pull myself back a couple inches. Other than that 1 instance, I never considered or needed it for a recovery. Personally I wouldn't bother with it.

Also, I doubt my install would help with ideas for your jeep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-09-2021, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Never_done
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
I had one for a few years as a suck-down winch for the rear suspension. I used it 1 time to pull myself back a couple inches. Other than that 1 instance, I never considered or needed it for a recovery. Personally I wouldn't bother with it.

Also, I doubt my install would help with ideas for your jeep.
You are probably right that it won't get used, or at least not used much. My two biggest driving factors to doing the rear winch are:
1) I wheel alone a lot more than I should so this is just more help if I need it.
2) I want a better winch for the front so this is something good to do with the one I have now that otherwise aint worth much.

Another thing is that I need a new rear bumper anyway, what I have aint much and is turning into less the farther we go. On top of this, I am not sure that I will put a winch back there now, but I am building to be ready for that if I want. And also I figured that I would build a bigger rear bumper o give me room to strap down some more stuff if I needed to. I love my YJ but there just is NO room to carry extra gear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in