54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 888 Old 08-06-2016, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Wingnut Build

Hello everyone, I think I've posted enough on here now that I want to start my build thread, if for at the very least just more motivation to take some pictures of my Jeep. I call it wingnut due to the wing nuts I use on my homemade sway bar disconnects, the first mod I ever did to it. Unfortunately those will most likely be coming off since I just won a free pair of Teraflex Quick Disconnects at the Salem Jeepers Summer Jam today! Quick backstory, I got my Jeep as my first car when I got my permit at 15 since my dad had already bought and built his Jeep when I was younger. Since then I have tried to learn as much as I can about it and what I want to do with it. I think I have my future plans pretty much figured out, the only problem is that I have been building it off a high school student budget and will continue to build it off a college budget at the end of this summer. Now to the build...

As it sits right now I have swapped the rear axle for an 8.8 I got from a Ford Explorer. I built the axle over the course of a couple months and pretty much replace everything except the housing. I got a new 3.73 Yukon R&P off craigslist for $140 and set the gears myself, rebuilt the Trac Lok and packed it very tight, new OEM axle shafts, new brakes, Blaine's reverse parking brake adapter, Riddler diff cover, Tatton double cardan driveshaft, and a JB SS SYE, Artec truss kit, and Metalcloak adjustable upper and lower arms in the rear. Finished the axle around $2,500 - $3,000... The rubber on the end of the axle comes in the form of very new Goodyear Duratracs in the 33x12.5 size on black 15" Razor Alloy MB wheels.

The front axle recently got a used True Trac put into it after I scored the True Trac off craigslist for only $50! Will be testing out the True Trac in the dunes at Florence in a couple weeks, but it already worked awesome on the only gravel pile I could find within 20 miles of my home in Salem, Oregon. In front of the axle is a ZJ tie rod courtesy of the NAPA I work at and behind the front axle is a Skid Row engine skid coupled to the stock shovel, it is very beefy lol.

Just got a 1" JKS MML and 1.25" BL on the Jeep a few weeks ago and it certainly helped give me back a little room in the fenders for the 33's with only a 2" Teraflex Budget Boost on top of the stock springs right now. Up front I have Truck Lite LED headlights off my dad's Jeep with some cheapo chinese LED fog lights up front and 2 inside the back bumper to serve as extra reverse lights. I also have an XRC8 winch on the front bumper that was a hand me down from my dad's Jeep as well.

Inside I have a pioneer deck with 4 hertz 5.25" coaxial speakers powered by an Alpine Power Pack. In the back I have 2 .30 caliber ammo cans mounted on the top of each fender wells to hold some extra gear, came up with this idea on my own and I think it turned out really good.

Armor wise I took shop class second semester senior year as I finally had room in my schedule and I like to say I got half decent on the Mig welder. By the end of the year I built custom rock sliders with AtoZ Fab weld on tube steps for them. I based the slider off the AtoZ sliders on my dad's Jeep and took a lot of measurements from his. I also built a custom stubby bumper on my own based off a single picture I saw in the "Let's see the front of your Jeep" thread. Turned out great, but I may need to grind down the rest of the welds sometime down the road. Still have the stock rear bumper, but I cut two holes in it for my reverse lights and mounted the lights inside the bumper.

Ok I don't think I missed anything... and now that you're up to speed I can get to my future plans haha.

Up until today I thought I was kind of on my own with this plan as I haven't seen anyone else with similar ideas, but at the Summer Jam I saw an amazing TJ with almost the exact same ideas, just with a few things added and bigger tires.

My goal with my Jeep is to build a very flexy rig that is still very capable of being my daily driver as I don't plan on selling the Jeep, and I despise most other cars. I also like the stock look, so I'll be trying to retain the stock fenders and flares, but have somewhat of a sleeper look when it flexes a lot more than stock. I'm aiming for 3.5" of suspension lift with my 1.25" BL on the stock wheelbase and close to factory width axles. I'm planning on buying the Savvy Mid Arm kit when it is released contingent on the price not being too far out of budget. The mid arms will help support more down travel without worrying about arm angles and the wheelbase shortening during droop. I'll be using the MC 3.5" front springs and have yet to find a suitable rear spring that doesn't need too much bump stop extension, yet can still support a decent amount of down travel. I'll be out boarding the rear shocks and relocating the upper and lower mounts in the front to hopefully be able to fit 19" - 21" compressed length shocks. I'll be using the MC front adjustable track bar since it doesn't require any bump stop extension. I may explore some ideas relating to a coil over spring placed inside the front spring to act as Blaine called them "cheater springs" to extend after the main spring fully extends during droop and allows the coil over spring to extend and maintain down force on the axle.

I also want to do a tummy tuck, either with a UCF UHC skid or maybe a custom skid if I can make one myself. I want to get as close to flat as possible since I'm not planning on going bigger than 33's, with a very slight chance I go to 35's later down the road. If I go to 35's I would most likely do high line fenders as well to allow me to still be able to reach full factory bump and stuff the tires with no bump stop extension necessary.

In the end I want a rig on 33's or 35's with around 3.5" of SL with at least 6" of up travel and around 7" or 8" of down travel. I think I can do it, some other guys on here think my travel numbers are excessive and I understand why they think that, but I don't see anything that I'm missing that would result in me not being able to achieve those travel numbers. I'm trying to figure out as much as I can beforehand so I only have to do stuff once, so if you guys see anything I'm missing, that's what this thread is for. Any and all tips, advice, and ideas are welcome, hopefully I'll be updating this thread a lot in the near future!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2750.jpg   IMG_20160718_155324.jpg   _MG_5989.jpg   _MG_5247.jpg  

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 888 Old 08-07-2016, 08:54 AM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like you are having fun,that is all that counts.
Work and play safe.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #3 of 888 Old 08-12-2016, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Just picked up some flares off a special anniversary TJ, so I'll replace my standard width ones with these one inch wider flares after I paint them black. Should stop my tires from rubbing the flares at full bump and help make it not look weird after I lift it more in the future.

Also picked up some 12" travel Fox 2.0 Factory Series shocks from Pcoplin that were modified to be 13" travel shocks with extra large reservoirs. Can't wait to get these fitted up front after I rework the upper and lower shock mounts. Thanks again Paul, hopefully you'll be tuning these for me fairly soon.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160812_213406.jpg   IMG_20160812_081652.jpg  

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 888 Old 08-12-2016, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Does anyone know the extended and compressed lengths of the Currie 4" coils, especially the rears? Can't seem to find this anywhere

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

post #5 of 888 Old 08-26-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Got the sahara flares mounted on my Jeep after painting them black. That one inch is pretty much perfect as far as not rubbing goes, although I do think I kind of like the look of the standard flares a tiny bit better, but function over form right haha. Also got my Savvy Mid Arm kit ordered, apparently I'm third in line too! Should be getting it sometime next week to post some pics and check it out.

Recently been checking specs on currie 4" springs and I think eventually I'll have 6" up and 7" down up front with Currie 4" Rev A springs. Haven't quite figured out the rear yet until I get the arms in. Trying to build this Jeep so if I do go to 35"s later on I'll probably highline my factory flares 3" as per the write up on higher ground 4x4. That'll give me enough clearance to run no BS extension and have around 7" up and 6" down with 35"s. I can't quite decide if 4" SL and a 1.25" BL with highlined factory flares on 35"s would look a little too high for that size tire, but form over function again right...?

Here is a picture of the Higher Ground 4x4 Jeep that he highlined the factory fenders with sahara flares. It had a 3.5" RE lift (so maybe more around 4" or 4.5" lift right?) on 35" tires. What do you guys think, does this look a little too high, or am I being paranoid?
Attached Images

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

post #6 of 888 Old 08-30-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I made a very ugly, yet very functional heavy duty diff cover for my D30 out of a spare cover from pick a part, some scrap 1/4" I had, some spray paint, and several hours of my time. I don't think it looks terrible now that it's black and will be under the jeep and it should give me the same clearance as a stock cover since none of the reinforcement goes further forward than the front of the cover as it is stock and the reinforcement should prevent the bottom from peeling back. Only have $10 into the cover, a lot better than $100+

All I did was mock up some templates out of cardboard, trace those out onto 1/4" and cut them out with a grinder and cutoff wheel. I used a flap disc and a wire wheel to get the cover down to bare metal. Then I tacked the cover onto a bigger sheet of 1/4" to prevent it from warping while welding, then I welded the pieces on and did a lot of grinding the next day to make it look a little decent. It may have warped a tiny bit, but I think it should seal alright when I put it on.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160830_175401.jpg   IMG_20160830_195354.jpg   IMG_20160830_195401.jpg   IMG_20160830_195416.jpg  

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

post #7 of 888 Old 08-30-2016, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Also if anyone's interested or knows someone looking for them I have a brand new, never used set of Teraflex Sway Bar Quick Disconnects for TJ's with 2" - 6" of lift. Willing to ship and open to any offers.

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

post #8 of 888 Old 08-30-2016, 09:32 PM
anigrelli
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevlaw View Post
Also if anyone's interested or knows someone looking for them I have a brand new, never used set of Teraflex Sway Bar Quick Disconnects for TJ's with 2" - 6" of lift. Willing to ship and open to any offers.
How much do you want for them?
post #9 of 888 Old 08-30-2016, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anigrelli View Post
How much do you want for them?
I'm not exactly sure, what's your zip code so I can check the shipping cost.

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

post #10 of 888 Old 08-30-2016, 11:45 PM
dogula1836

Great job! I actually used Rough Stuff 3 link kit in the front of mine. The rear will get Rough Stuff dual triangulated 4-link suspension. I am planning on using Skyjacker Hydro H7099 shocks. They are 35.375" long extended and 18.375" decompressed. They are $40./ea on Summit. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sja-h7099https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sja-h7099

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/.../LINKPROD.html
post #11 of 888 Old 08-30-2016, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogula1836 View Post
Great job! I actually used Rough Stuff 3 link kit in the front of mine. The rear will get Rough Stuff dual triangulated 4-link suspension. I am planning on using Skyjacker Hydro H7099 shocks. They are 35.375" long extended and 18.375" decompressed. They are $40./ea on Summit. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sja-h7099https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sja-h7099

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/.../LINKPROD.html
Thanks, I've heard great things about rough stuff brackets, but the savvy mid arm kit was too good to pass up and I don't quite know how the geometry works. Yet! Those shocks are pretty long, what springs are you using with those to not have them unseat during droop?
post #12 of 888 Old 08-30-2016, 11:56 PM
dogula1836

The geometry was easy for me. I just did a little of reading on the forums and used my angle finder. These Jeep heim joint kits are soo easy and great! Rough stuff sold me lower spring cups for 5.5" outside diameter coil springs. I am actually using early Bronco +5.5" lift progressive springs.
post #13 of 888 Old 08-31-2016, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogula1836 View Post
The geometry was easy for me. I just did a little of reading on the forums and used my angle finder. These Jeep heim joint kits are soo easy and great! Rough stuff sold me lower spring cups for 5.5" outside diameter coil springs. I am actually using early Bronco +5.5" lift progressive springs.
Interesting, I haven't seen that before. When you're done about how much money do you think you'll have into the 3 link and 4 link?
post #14 of 888 Old 08-31-2016, 06:59 AM
Serbonze
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
...behind the front axle is a Skid Row engine skid coupled to the stock shovel, it is very beefy lol.

Assuming that you have the JP-0009 (short arm version with the clamp attachment), how do you like it? It's on my purchase list but unfortunately, I've found very few people running that particular one. It seems that most people have replaced their TC skid, so it's not comparable. Any issues with that clamp, or does it lock up solid like the bolt through versions?

2018 Grand Cherokee
2001 Wrangler
post #15 of 888 Old 08-31-2016, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Quote:
...behind the front axle is a Skid Row engine skid coupled to the stock shovel, it is very beefy lol.

Assuming that you have the JP-0009 (short arm version with the clamp attachment), how do you like it? It's on my purchase list but unfortunately, I've found very few people running that particular one. It seems that most people have replaced their TC skid, so it's not comparable. Any issues with that clamp, or does it lock up solid like the bolt through versions?
This was one of the first upgrades I got for my jeep. The skid is very beefy and it clamps to the stock TC skid very well. I got it because at the time I thought it would off the best coverage, and it does, but now the way it mounts is problematic. I will have to modify it to work with my new frame side control arm mount once I do the mid arm and I don't know if it will work with a TT in the future. I may actually sell mine sometime soon to get one that mounts differently, maybe even the full savvy UA. It is a great skid for the weekend warrior and even a little bit more, just may not work for what I'm building now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in