Wildman's TJ from Then til Now - Page 52 - JeepForum.com
 454Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #766 of 787 Old 11-05-2021, 08:33 PM
xjloverforlife8

These are my favorite jeeps! They're an all around vehicle that can go anywhere and anywhere is exactly where we go!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #767 of 787 Old 11-05-2021, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well didn't get a LOT done today but went to town and got stuff done there than needed doing.

Then came home and worked on the tunnel cover.

Had one rvi-nut that was giving me issues so I left it alone at first. I must not of gotten it clamped enough.

And then FedEx showed up with a package for me.

And then I get out the vise grips and fixed that rvi-nut and installed a bolt into it. I'd used all the allen head bolts GR provides.

This is now done and tomorrow I'll work more on cleaning up the tub. I want to make it as spotless as possible before I start trying to spray the Lizard Skin. I'd also like to be able to get all the extra holes in the tub welded closed before I spray anything. So to make that happen FASTER and because of a idea a buddy on the Wrangler TJ forum put into my head I bought another welder.

I watched a LOT of videos and read a LOT of reviews about different welders and decided to give this welder a try.

https://yeswelder.com/products/mig-welder-250a

Once I get my Lincoln welder back I'll decide which one I like better and then sell the other one.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #768 of 787 Old 11-06-2021, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If anyone was curious about the LARGE package that FedEx dropped off yesterday here is what is inside the box.

This is the GenRight 23 gallon crawler tank. Got my fingers crossed that the measurements they have posted on their website are accurate. I had crawled under the Jeep and took a ton of measurements to try and verify that it will work in my rig. With the indent in the tank from what I can tell it should clear my CRD60.

A word of caution to those who are looking at getting a rvi-nut setter tool. I'd bought one last year off Amazon and got one that had longer handles thinking it would help while installing a rvi-nut. Then this year I ended up needing to buy a new set. The Astro rvi-nut tool is a quality tool where the off brand one wasn't. The Astro brand is the one on the left.

Here is the off brand ones. I have no idea what I did to make them crack like this but I wouldn't trust them anymore.

Then I started to work on the tub some more to get it ready to be painted and the Lizard Skin be sprayed in. When I'd had the engine swap done the shop that did it had left this one plug out because they routed the transmission shifter cable thru it but because it was a cable from a Dodge picukup it didn't fit the hole. I've already clean up a lot of the dirt and grease but becasue this was open it had let in a lot of crap.

Looks better now cleaned up and the body plug installed.

Then I started working on getting things taped off for painting. I got ALL this done in about an hour.

At this rate I think it's going to take a day or two to get everything done. Trying to tape this stuff off is a load of fun for an old fat guy.
NashvilleTJ likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #769 of 787 Old 11-06-2021, 06:27 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Canít wait to see how this goes.
wildman4x4nut likes this.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #770 of 787 Old 11-07-2021, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Canít wait to see how this goes.
You and me both. But I'm trying to make sure this tub is SUPER clean before I even think about spraying anything into it. I'm starting to think I should pull the stuff out of the back and spray that part in bedliner even though I'm only doing Lizard Skin in the front.

Got some more of the dash taped off today.

Then it had stopped raining for a while and my daughter had some friends visiting so I put them to work. We put the new cover on my portable shed.

Then I did some rearranging in the garage and I put my bike away for the winter.

Still got enough room to get to the bench and the drill press. Then I got the two new Odyssey batteries and the bike hooked up on a battery tender.

NashvilleTJ likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #771 of 787 Old 11-08-2021, 09:17 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have been really happy with my Astro Rivnut tool. I use it way more than I thought I would. The shorter handle it definitely nice.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

post #772 of 787 Old 11-09-2021, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've been getting in all the painting supplies I ordered to try my hand at painting all my parts. I'm also going to be painting the frame, bumpers and axles as I go along. Now just to warn everyone I've never painted anything before with a paint gun so I might not be doing a professional job but I got talked into trying this as opposed to using a rattle can. I've got a TON of bare frame from all the work I've done and I'd like this all to last a while.

Did I ever mention how much I really dislike packing peanuts? I mean really really dislike them. But the items arrived in one piece and safe.

Body color paints and clear coating for it once it's all sprayed.

WOW it's been YEARS since I've had this dash torn down this far. And I've got to do some trimming to it to install the dual din stereo that is going into the dash.

I've decided to make extra work for myself by removing everything from inside the tub and then I'm going to bedline the rear area once I've sprayed the front passenger area with Lizard Skin. So it'll be a few more days before I am ready to spray anything.

I'm going to be gone for a few days while I take a trip over to Idaho to help a buddy install an engine into a car. So I should be back home by Sunday and then can get back to working on the Jeep. And I have an appointment in Yakima on Tuesday so I'll be taking my bumper over to have it sandblasted so I can paint it also but be starting with bare metal. I've also got to make some modifications to the front bumper to clear the rotated steering box.
NashvilleTJ and daddyjeep87 like this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #773 of 787 Old 11-10-2021, 11:23 AM
cpia84
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Lots of great progress! definitely plowing through all the work. I know you are ready to get the Jeep done. All your hard work is about to pay off!!

YJOTM: Jan 2021

post #774 of 787 Old 11-14-2021, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpia84 View Post
Lots of great progress! definitely plowing through all the work. I know you are ready to get the Jeep done. All your hard work is about to pay off!!
Thanks I appreciate that a lot. I am SO ready for this to be DONE....

But I know I'm getting closer and it's going to get finished and then I can go out and enjoy it again.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #775 of 787 Old 11-14-2021, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

My new welder came in while I was gone so I of course had to unbox it last night.

I also got some other boxes while I was gone. One of them was some pieces a buddy on the TJ Wrangler forum made for me to make my front bumper fit.

The one with the notch is for the side with the steering box.

The Yes Welder has the door on the left side of the welder where the Lincoln has it on the right side which makes it a little harder to change out the spool. Also the way the tensioner for the spool isn't what I consider that great of a design.

If you are going to use a 2 lb spool instead of a 10 lb spool you have to change all this out which IMO is just a PITA.

Another member of the TJ Wrangler forum told me about this tool for welding things like the old bolt holes from my old armor. It has a copper plate that the welding wire doesn't stick to and you place it over the hole as you weld it closed.

Not something I'd want to do to a tub that had a good paint job but it sure works great.

And then grind them down smooth again.

NashvilleTJ likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #776 of 787 Old 11-15-2021, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I worked on my front bumper today so it was ready to take over to Yakima to get sandblasted so I have a clean surface to paint. I used the standoff on the drivers side but couldn't use the one for the passenger side without cutting into the mounting plate for the 8274 winch.

Cut a notch into the top plate to go around the steering box. Which required me to cut the tube to make room for the standoff.

And then I got to test out the new welder a lot better than welding the old armor bolt holes closed yesterday.

So far I like the Yes Welder and it seems to be doing a good job.

And welded some washers to make the bolts sit level.

And then I replaced a stripped out frame nut for mounting the bumper that I'd forgotten to replace when I had the front of the frame all cut apart.

I'd also had to relocate the tab for my air chuck when I installed the standoff.

Bumper loaded up in my truck ready to take to Yakima in the morning.

cpia84 likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #777 of 787 Old 11-15-2021, 08:42 PM
cpia84
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Looking good with the bumper and neat trick on the body holes. Glad to hear you got a welder in because I know you were itching to get back to welding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #778 of 787 Old 11-15-2021, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpia84 View Post
Looking good with the bumper and neat trick on the body holes. Glad to hear you got a welder in because I know you were itching to get back to welding!

Thanks, it's amazing the amount of stuff you FIND you want/need a welder for when you all of a sudden don't have one anymore. I'd bought this Yes Welder as a chance thing and because it could weld aluminum without having to buy a spool gun. But so far I'm actually impressed with it.
cpia84 likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #779 of 787 Old 11-16-2021, 07:53 PM
cpia84
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
That was a welder I was looking at before I bought my current one.

post #780 of 787 Old 11-16-2021, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

While I was in Yakima I swung by Harbor Freight and picked up a replacement engine for my snowblower. Should make life easier this winter I HOPE.

Dropped my front bumper off to be sandblasted and they are pretty busy as they said it wouldn't be until after 1 December before it was done.

And then I got a call from Ox Arc saying that my Lincoln welder was back and ready to be picked up.

Once I've had a week or so to play with both of them I'll post up a short review of what I think of the two of them and which one I like better.
NashvilleTJ and cpia84 like this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in