LinkBack Thread Tools
post #751 of 807 Old 11-01-2021, 09:08 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm glad you cut off those little pieces.... they were bugging me. Looks good

wildman4x4nut and 07wurubi like this.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 807 Old 11-01-2021, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I cleaned up the garage of all the aluminum metal shavings and pieces I'd cut off. Then I figured I'd start on the spindles & hub & rotors so I could finish the front axle.

For some a unit bearing is just easier but I'm OLD and like this old school method with wheel bearings and having to set the preload and get all greasy while packing the bearings. And in the process of getting all the parts out again to do this I found the other Stage 8 spindle nut kit.

I greased the inner spindle bearings and then installed the seals.

Then I installed the spindles & backing plates. And torqued the spindle to knuckle nuts to 60 lb ft.

Then I packed the inner and outer wheel bearings and installed the wheel bearing seals.

Then installed the hub & rotors with the Stage 8 spindle nut kit. It is very different from the stock method but it does seem to be good quality. Only time will tell how it does.

Now here is a sight I haven't seen in a very long time.

07wurubi likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #753 of 807 Old 11-01-2021, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

First on the list of things to do today was to test fit a tire on the front now that the axle was assembled. I know there is some dislike of Metal Cloak due but they offered the only removeable flares plus I liked the look of them.

Passenger side tire turned to full lock turned to the left and full stuff. Just a little trimming on the spring mount and all will be fine.

No clearance issues with the frame but will have to wait until I get the SwayLoc installed to see if there is any problems with it.

There were some questions if I'd have any rubbing or clearance issues with the fenders since I'm running such a big tire. NOPE clears just fine.

Turned to the right full lock again no issues.

Dang Nab it sure looks good.

Again no issues at full stuff.

Or even with the flare installed.

And then the drivers side. This is full stuff and turned to the left. If I hadn't moved the axle forward 2.75" then the tire might have been into the back of the fender but I'm clear.

It all fits and works and that is all that matters.

07wurubi likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #754 of 807 Old 11-01-2021, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Next was to finally start working on the tub and getting all the wires removed and then cleaning it up so I can spray it with Lizard Skin ceramic heat coating.

Had to scrap this foam from the transmission tunnel cover off and all the other gunk they apply at different spots.

Then I put a wire brush on my angle grinder and went to work. It did a really good job of getting most of the stuff off but there are some spots I'll have to do by hand since I can't get into them with the grinder.

The wire wheel on the grinder did a great job and cuts down on what I'll have to do.

07wurubi likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #755 of 807 Old 11-02-2021, 08:12 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Prepping that interior sure looks fun.
wildman4x4nut likes this.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

post #756 of 807 Old 11-02-2021, 08:12 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Great progress Rick. You are really hammering at it now. Nice clearance on those meats.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #757 of 807 Old 11-02-2021, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
Prepping that interior sure looks fun.
It's loads of fun let me tell ya....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Great progress Rick. You are really hammering at it now. Nice clearance on those meats.
Thanks Jeff.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #758 of 807 Old 11-02-2021, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's my own fault for not getting this done when the weather was nicer and warmer so I can't really blame anyone else. I wore out the wire wheel yesterday so switched to these stripper discs that I got from Benchmark Abrasives.

And for the tighter areas a angle grinder with 2" flapper disc.

Then I broke out the soap and water with a tooth brush & smaller wire brush and some HOT water plus some scrubbing.

While I'm busy with this I also need to disassemble my throttle pedal and bead blast the base becasue for some reason it's all rusted.

07wurubi likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #759 of 807 Old 11-03-2021, 07:30 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It will be worth all the effort when you coating stays where you put it. I did the Herculiner in my tub back in '11 and it is flaking off in some areas. I thought I prepped it good, but obviously not.

post #760 of 807 Old 11-03-2021, 07:49 AM
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Damn Rick, you're going to be done with that fine piece of machinery any day now.
post #761 of 807 Old 11-03-2021, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
Damn Rick, you're going to be done with that fine piece of machinery any day now.
I keep hoping that day will get here. I need to get my trailer into the shop and get it serviced so that when it is done I'll have some way to haul it.
I need to follow your lead and redeck my trailer. I bought it back in 2007 so that wood is getting OLD.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #762 of 807 Old 11-03-2021, 08:20 PM
bellayt

good luck!
post #763 of 807 Old 11-04-2021, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got to LOVE Jeep parts. There just isn't anything better than to come out the door and find a stack of parts. I'd finally got paid for one of the foot studies I'd been involved with so I spent it on my Jeep.

I'd been wanting/meaning to do this for a long time now. Of course I need a welder to be able to get these installed but I'll have them now for when I do get my welder back.

I did splurge a little and got a new steering wheel.

Also got the transmission tunnel cover that GR sells.

And a battery box for the engine compartment.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #764 of 807 Old 11-05-2021, 07:58 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Giving up the air bag Rick, or were they gone already?

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #765 of 807 Old 11-05-2021, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Giving up the air bag Rick, or were they gone already?
Giving up the air bag. I have honestly never liked having it. And then at some point when I pull the cage out I'll take the passenger side one out also.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in