Wildman's TJ from Then til Now - Page 48 - JeepForum.com
 403Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #706 of 712 Old 10-11-2021, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

My batteries showed up and neither of them were broken.

Then it was back to working on the rear shocks.

I cut the towers down some to make them fit better and not have so much metal sticking outside the frame at the bottom.

I also cut a groove into the back so I can weld into the frame also.

Setting the towers back in for the LAST time I hope.

And I got the cut thru the tower to the frame correct.

The other side.

Needed to do some cleaning before anything else.

And of course I wasn't done yet. The shock bodies were hitting the bottom of the towers. So I'd marked where I needed to notch them.

But still DANG NAB tight and too close to the towers.

That was everything I got done yesterday.

07wurubi and NashvilleTJ like this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #707 of 712 Old 10-11-2021, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

After a lot of thinking and suggestions from people over on the Wrangler TJ forum it was decided I'd move the lower shock mounts father out on the axle.

Here is where they are sitting right now.

And then after a little time with the hot butter knife (plasma cutter)

Axle tubes all cleaned up.

I cut into the axle tube a little too much on this side so I'll have to weld that spot up when I pull the axle for final welding

My choices for new lower shock mounts were:

1) On the right are Ballistic Fab but these things are flipping HUGE and I'd worry they'd get hung up on rocks and other stuff.

2) On the left are Barnes 4WD and they are the better choice IMO.

Shock mounts all welded up.

Here is about where the lower mounts were before.

And about where I think I want to try for now.

TJosh02 likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #708 of 712 Old 10-12-2021, 05:19 PM
TJosh02

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
It is mildly amusing to me that I grew up near your whereabouts and now I live in a different country, opposite side of the continent and you are using parts from a company just up the street from me (TMR). I've even spoke to Tim Rodgers once.

This TJ was bought and plated in WA before I bought it and shipped it here.

'02 TJ 4L 5spd

post #709 of 712 Old 10-13-2021, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJosh02 View Post
It is mildly amusing to me that I grew up near your whereabouts and now I live in a different country, opposite side of the continent and you are using parts from a company just up the street from me (TMR). I've even spoke to Tim Rodgers once.

This TJ was bought and plated in WA before I bought it and shipped it here.
I've been all around this country and in a few other countries to boot. TMR has been a great company to deal with and when I had issues with one order Tim took care of it ASAP. I really like all of their products that I've bought also.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #710 of 712 Old 10-13-2021, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Worked on the lower shock mounts yesterday. For a project that I THOUGHT would take maybe a few hours it turned into an ALL day project.

I started off by making a mockup shock out of some PVC & heim joints so I'd get an idea how close the shock body was to the shock tower/frame.

And then on the other side I had a shock installed to check for clearance to frame. The lower shock mounts weren't installed yet so I could move them around.

Looking up from the bottom of the shock body towards the top.

Got the lower shock mounts welded on and then was flexing the suspension to check clearances. Passenger side was golden.

The tire was JUST close enough to run when each side tread went past the shock.

But as I went to flex the drivers side I found out there were a FEW problems.

1) As I was jacking up the drivers side at around the last 1-2" of up travel it hung up. After checking things I realized I hadn't installed the lower shock mount aligned properly so it was binding. Easy fix so to speak. Cut tack welds and reattach lower shock mount.

2) My rear axle isn't centered. Again an easy fix so to speak I just have to adjust the arms till I get it where I want it. Not hard just takes time to get it done RIGHT.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #711 of 712 Old 10-14-2021, 06:41 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Wildman's TJ from Then til Now

Cutting tacks is, well, why we tack. Nice work, Rick. It takes some patience, doesn’t it. When I did my suspension I was always moving things around several times to get clearances to work.
wildman4x4nut likes this.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #712 of 712 Old 10-14-2021, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Cutting tacks is, well, why we tack. Nice work, Rick. It takes some patience, doesn’t it. When I did my suspension I was always moving things around several times to get clearances to work.
Every INCH seems to take another 5 hours. But I did figure out a little about why the rear axle is moving around. A weld on one side of the truss broke loose so it moves about 1/4-1/2". So once I pull it and fix that I'll get back to playing with the shocks.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in