Wildman's TJ from Then til Now - Page 47 - JeepForum.com
 403Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #691 of 712 Old 10-02-2021, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got the new speed sensor plug yesterday in the mail.

The old speed sensor plug was on it's last leg.

So I spliced into some new wires and the new plug into the wiring harness.

So the main harness if now done. I've still got some other things I'd like to do to it but this makes it ready to drop in and HOPEFULLY the engine will run and gauges will work.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 712 Old 10-02-2021, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I also sold the TSL SX tires today which made some room for me in my portable storage shed so I could now move the IRock's out of the garage where they were sitting behind the Jeep. Now I can get to the rear of the Jeep and work on things back there.

Since I had the room I decided to install the air bags in the rear of the Jeep. It's been a LONG time since the rear bags have been installed.

And since I now had all 4 bags installed on the Jeep I did something that it has been MONTHS since this has happened. I raised the Jeep up off the jack stands for a quick moment just to see it that way.
NashvilleTJ likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #693 of 712 Old 10-03-2021, 08:04 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Wildman's TJ from Then til Now

You’re cookin’ with gas now, mate.

A buddy of mine turned me on to those Sopoby solder connectors. I love those things.
wildman4x4nut likes this.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #694 of 712 Old 10-03-2021, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
You’re cookin’ with gas now, mate.

A buddy of mine turned me on to those Sopoby solder connectors. I love those things.
Thanks mate.

Yes I'd never seen them before but I am really impressed with how they work.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #695 of 712 Old 10-05-2021, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'll catch you all up on the last two days.

Yesterday I had decided to get the steering done. So I'd pulled out the instructions from Red Rock 4WD for their Skinny Steering kit. Fist thing to do was remove the u-joint coupler off the old lower steering shaft. You have to grind the weld down on the inside of the bracket to get it off the shaft.

Then a FEW good whacks with a hammer and it comes off.

Next is fitting a round shaft into a square hole.

A little time with a flapper wheel and guess what.

It fits.

Then a quick little time again with a flapper wheel and I could get the shaft into the upper shaft. Had to make a notch for where the bolt goes past the shaft.

And of course since it's CUSTOM nothing fits like it is suppose to. The TNT trackbar bracket was in the way.

So break out the flapper wheel again and make some adjustments and the coupler fits just fine.

But GUESS WHAT?? The shaft can't reach the u-joint or come anywhere near it. So I go and grab a cigar while I think about what I'm going to do. I knew that there were kits out there to fix this but I'd have to find one. Now don't you HATE when stuff like this happens? I had been going through my pile of instructions and the TNT Steering Rotation/Stretch were there so I was reading them when BOOM and DUH it hit me. There were parts in the TNT kit for the steering. So now I just needed to figure out where I had put them..........

About the time I finally found all the parts it was time for dinner so I called it a night.

Today I started to finish the steering. Frist was to lay it out and check for clearance & angles. I didn't want to make the u-joint angles too steep.

The kit uses heim joints to support the shaft. The upper heim is mounted to bracket that Red Rock 4WD supplies with the kit.

I tried to get the shaft as near the center of the steering shaft hole. I'm close and I sure this will work.

The Skinny Steering kit only comes with 2 heim joints and the TNT kit only comes with 1 but since I had 3 heim joints I figured I'd use all of them.

So I add a support off the side of the shock tower.

Then I called my daughter out to the garage and had her turn the steering wheel while I checked for any binding or things hitting. It's been MONTHS if not longer since that steering wheel has tunred.

Steering project is DONE.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #696 of 712 Old 10-05-2021, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

When I'd installed the rear air bags the other day I'd just put the air line fittings in finger tight. So being a little loose they leaked air fairly quickly and I wanted t0 use them to raise the rear of the Jeep up so I didn't want them to leak. But to do this with the CUSTOM air bag brackets I'd made I needed to dig out my HIGH SPEED dual overhead whiz bang special wrench for tightening down the air fittings. Now this is a special wrench.

OOPS.........

What the HECK happened? Something fell off my Jeep.

Now you know why I wanted to raise the rear of the Jeep up. I needed to get the rear crossmember off the jack stands.

I needed to do this to get ready to do the butt crack elimination mode.
NashvilleTJ likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #697 of 712 Old 10-05-2021, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Today was BUTT CRACK day...

Raising the crossmember/bumper does a few things.

1) It gets rid of that ugly gap if you have a body lift.

2) For rigs without a rear stretch it improves your departure angle.

I was doing it so I didn't have that ugly gap. Mocking things up and checking to make sure I hadn't cut too much off.

These filler plates go on top of the frame to make the frame & crossmember line up.

Then mark each side of the frame where you're going to notch it to raise the bottom up to match the crossmember.

Then draw a line to the edge of the frame.

And then CUT! But before you do measure how much you need to take to bring the bottom up flush with the crossmember. Cutting out too much isn't a good thing but don't ask me how I know.

Then put the crossmember back in place and weld everything together. If you want you can also add fish plate to the inside frame rail.

No ugly space anymore and no more frame extending out past the rear of the Jeep.

cpia84 likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #698 of 712 Old 10-06-2021, 06:33 AM
cpia84
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Lots of progress! Those little things always take up the most time but good to see you chipping away at it.

YJOTM: Jan 2021

post #699 of 712 Old 10-06-2021, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpia84 View Post
Lots of progress! Those little things always take up the most time but good to see you chipping away at it.
Thanks and you are very correct. These little things always seem to take way longer than you think they will.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #700 of 712 Old 10-06-2021, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

After all that work and grinding down my gobber welds my garage was a MESS. So before I did anything this morning I had to clean.

Much better now. I'm sure it won't take me very long to get it all dirty again but at least it was clean for a while.

So I'll now weld the shock towers together and get them ready to mockup the rear shocks. I'd made a spacer to keep the tabs at 1.5"

All welded together and done.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #701 of 712 Old 10-06-2021, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

While I was finishing the shock towers I happened to come across these switched magnets that I'd bought a while ago and had forgotten about. So I decided it was time to replace the ground clamps on both the plasma cutter and the welder.

And then tested out the magnet. Had to do some trimming to make room for the shock tower.

About that time the Brown Santa showed up. I'd bought some more items for the wiring project.

Most of the clips on the firewall were broken or wouldn't latch anymore so I figured I'd replace them.

And some 2" loom for the main harness.

And some zip ties with the plug ends

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #702 of 712 Old 10-06-2021, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Back on track to working on the rear shock towers. Now I had a challenge already since I had already cut my frame for the outboard shock towers but they were setup for a 10" travel shock. After a bunch of grinding (Yep garage is dirty again) and test fitting plus clamping in place and then more of the same. But I finally got the tower where I wanted it to be so I tacked it in place and mounted a shock. I have a little more gap around the top than I'd like but that was becasue of the old cuts in the frame.

Here we are at full bump

And then full droop

Then I went to flex out the other side but the shock body is hitting the shock tower at the bottom. I need to trim these up.

I've got appointments tomorrow so I won't be able to work on the other side until Friday.
07wurubi likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #703 of 712 Old 10-07-2021, 07:50 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Lookin’ good Rickardo.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #704 of 712 Old 10-09-2021, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wasn't feeling good yesterday so I didn't work on the Jeep. But I was up and ready to go today. As seems to always happen once I do one side the other is always a lot easier to get done and it was the same with the rear shock towers.

So I had a better idea of what to do this time so I marked it out and started with the grinder.

Looks about right so clamp it in place and measure things out.

Then I tacked it in place and installed the shock to flex it.

Then I was looking at my shock towers and at those installed by others who had mounted their reservoirs on the frame rails and realized the all of their shock towers where open between the shock tabs while mine were closed.

I couldn't figure out a GOOD way for me to do the work I wanted to do to the towers with them installed so I cut the tack welds (why we only tack things in right?) and I trimmed the bottoms of both towers and then cut a slot into the top of both towers.

Then I tacked both towers back in place.

Then reinstalled the shocks.

Since I don't have my ne tires yet I installed one of my old rims & tire instead. The StazWorks rims are a 4" backspacing while the Spyderlocks I got from NashvilleTJ are 3.5" backspacing. And the tire was hitting the shock tower at full stuff. So I was trying to figure out how I was going to be able to tell if the other rims and tires would clear or not when I remembered I had some 1" spacers I'd gotten with the wheels from NashvilleTJ. So I grabbed one and installed it.
The tire clears the shock tower now with no problem at all.

Here is the passenger side at full stuff with the drivers side at full droop.

07wurubi and NashvilleTJ like this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #705 of 712 Old 10-10-2021, 07:14 AM
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

You've been kicking butt Rick. Its been a week or so since I've been on and you've gotten so much done. As you know it's all the little things that take so much time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in