Wildman's TJ from Then til Now - Page 46 - JeepForum.com
 412Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #676 of 729 Old 09-22-2021, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Advanced Adapters motor mounts also and the engine torques to the drivers side when under power so it's rocking back towards the passenger side which means it's not under load then so I'd imagine that it won't move that much in that direction. Yes if I have to I can always go back and redo things and make more room.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #677 of 729 Old 09-25-2021, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is one sexy SOB but let me tell you it's HEAVY too.

It's 150 lbs of beef. But I got it installed so I could measure for my driveshaft lengths & route wiring.

Rear shaft is 23 1/4" long

And the front is 38 1/2" long

I'll have to take my old shafts over to Yakima to a driveshaft shop and have them lengthened.

Since I had the engine installed I decided I'd slap the headers on and see how they fit.

Drivers side MIGHT be a issue.

If I take the lip off the tub there might be enough room.

Passenger side of course will not be an issue.

And then had to drop the intake on so I could get the wiring laid out to each sensor since they aren't in their stock locations.

07wurubi likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #678 of 729 Old 09-25-2021, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

And then comes the wiring. Here is a Dodge Ram 1500 wiring harness and a Jeep TJ early 1997 build harness that I'm going to blend together over the next few days. OK maybe over the next week...

Stripped all the old plastic loom off both harnesses.

What a flippin mess.... Old brittle & greasy mess.

I'm going to reloom it all with a loom kit from Painless Wiring.

Taggin all the sensor plugs with shoe tags.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #679 of 729 Old 09-25-2021, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Worked on the wiring some more today but still didn't do any cutting yet. I'm trying to understand and map out exactly where the what and why of where each wire is going. I have my old harness that Evan from Backwoods Off-Road that made the engine run and everything worked but it was having issues. So I'm cheating a little but at the same time I'm also doing it my own way. One of the things I am doing differently than how many do this swap is that I am using the Dodge wiring harness and blending in the TJ harness.

This is what I was staring at most of the day as I traced wires.

When using the Dodge wiring harness you don't use the gray PCM plug but instead you use the TJ plug.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #680 of 729 Old 09-26-2021, 07:25 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

What’s that power braid stuff made of, Rick?
wildman4x4nut likes this.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #681 of 729 Old 09-26-2021, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
What’s that power braid stuff made of, Rick?
I honestly don't know but I'd always heard good tings about Painless Wiring so I bought that kit to try and make my underhood neater.

This is from Painless Wiring's website.

http://painlessperformance.org/

Quote:
It’s important to keep your wiring routed and secured away from moving parts, high heat and from abrasion. Painless offers two simple solutions with our PowerBraid and new ClassicBraid.
The durable material is lightweight and extremely flexible. Not only is it ideal for the aesthetics of your project, but it adds protection against abrasion and heat (up to 257F). They also have a resistance to the majority of chemicals and automotive fluids. The lateral split down the loom has a minimum edge overlap of 25% material for a secure fit around wires without extra tape or tie-wraps.

Not only are the PowerBraid & ClassicBraid great for wires, but it also can be used around hoses, lines and other items throughout a build. Available options in sizes from 1/8’’ to 2’’ in various lengths, including complete kits for chassis or EFI wiring. They are also available in chassis and fuel injection kits containing everything you will need to cover your harness.
Continuous Temperature Rating -94 to 257F
Melting Point 482F

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #682 of 729 Old 09-26-2021, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Finally decided it was time to take the plunge and cut some wires. I had everything figured out and knew where each wire needed to go so I got the side cutters out and took a leap of faith.

The first cut was a little nerve racking but then the second one was a breeze.

By cutting those wires I ended up with this no longer being a part of my Dodge harness.

I've got all the wires taped together for now and once I get it laid out and get things looking neater and routing is cleaner I'll splice the wires together.

Here is the old wiring harness from Backwoods Off-Road. It'll take some parts from it before I toss it.

07wurubi and NashvilleTJ like this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #683 of 729 Old 09-27-2021, 08:20 PM
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Man you've been busy since the last time I was one here. You got some fancy new legs(aluminum links) and even started on your wiring. I have way more confidence in your wiring ability than I do in mine. It looks like you're breezing right along.

Be careful when you do your first crank on the motor. It'll light a fire so bright under your butt that all you'll want to do is work on the Jeep until completion. I got a little burned out like I always do during a build but hearing that motor roar got me excited again and it pushed me to finish it up.
post #684 of 729 Old 09-27-2021, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
Man you've been busy since the last time I was one here. You got some fancy new legs(aluminum links) and even started on your wiring. I have way more confidence in your wiring ability than I do in mine. It looks like you're breezing right along.

Be careful when you do your first crank on the motor. It'll light a fire so bright under your butt that all you'll want to do is work on the Jeep until completion. I got a little burned out like I always do during a build but hearing that motor roar got me excited again and it pushed me to finish it up.
Thanks Chris.

Ya I'm looking forward to that day but I think it's still a few months away at this point. I was sitting in the garage today when I got back form the VA having a cigar and was running a list of things I still have to do. But I remember when I use to fire up the old engine with the open headers.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #685 of 729 Old 09-30-2021, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Over the past few days I've cleaned up the ORO AiRock wiring and modified it some to fit the TJ better. I also had appointments at the VA one on Monday and the other one today. So I didn't get a lot done to the Jeep this week and plan on running to Yakima tomorrow to drop off my driveshafts to get lengthened.

Got the replacement upper link in from WOD today. So I got that installed.

The old link and the new link side by side.

And the upper link installed.

TJosh02 and cpia84 like this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #686 of 729 Old 10-01-2021, 11:53 AM
TJosh02

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yakima is a bit of a hike from Cle Elum iirc.

'02 TJ 4L 5spd
post #687 of 729 Old 10-01-2021, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJosh02 View Post
Yakima is a bit of a hike from Cle Elum iirc.
About an hour away and then depending on where the shop is a little longer. I didn't make it there today so I'll run them over sometime next week.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #688 of 729 Old 10-01-2021, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well I started the day off under the Jeep. I'd crawled under it to verify my driveshaft lengths and then while I was there decided I would throw the belly skid back on to verify clearances.

The crossmembers all fit fine and there aren't any clearance issues.

I have about 1/4" around the top of the STaK t-case.

Here is a shot from the inside since my floorboard is still open.

Then I decided I'd tackle the wiring. I'd taped the wires together that needed to be spliced but wanted to lay the harness out and make thing neater. So I got it laid out on the floor of the garage and got the routing neater and started to splice all the wires together.

Then I needed to solder one joint where I was connecting a wire into a line that wasn't cut. So I got to break out my new torch/soldering iron.

It worked great and I taped it all up once I was done.

Then I went thru and did a final taping of joints and it is now ready to be installed into the Jeep. Once I'm ready to fire up the engine and verify that the wiring is all good and it runs plus the gauges all work then I'll put the loom on.

07wurubi and cpia84 like this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #689 of 729 Old 10-02-2021, 07:03 AM
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

We're all impatiently waiting for you to fire this thing up.
wildman4x4nut and cpia84 like this.
post #690 of 729 Old 10-02-2021, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
We're all impatiently waiting for you to fire this thing up.
Well it might be a while longer before I fire this thing off. I need to do some cleaning and get the tub ready for me to spray the Lizard Skin. Then I can get the center console installed and the transmission & transfer case levers hooked up.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in