Wildman's TJ from Then til Now - Page 45 - JeepForum.com
 417Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #661 of 740 Old 09-15-2021, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not a lot happened the past few days. Had to take the one rim back apart as it wasn't holding air. Found out I'd pinched the o-ring just a little. So I put a new o-ring in and reassembled it yesterday. Will check the air pressure later today.
Have 2 tire & wheel assemblies to put together but I listed these For Sale today.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f125...locks-4442763/

Have the listed here,
On Pirate
Craigslist
Facebook Market Place
Wrangler TJ forum
So hopefully I'll get someone to bite and pick them up. Got to pay for my new tires and I need some other parts too.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 740 Old 09-17-2021, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got the other two tires mounted today so IF someone decides to buy them they are ready to go. My back is glad this is over and so am I.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #663 of 740 Old 09-19-2021, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

FedEx finally decided to show up with my skids from UCF.

So of course I had to check fitment. Huston we have a problem....

So I went back to what I'd set out to do which was to install the raised body mounts. I'd removed the rear body mounts when I did the frame stretch so I figured I'd start there.

Rear mounts welded on.

Then got out the plasma cutter and zipped the middle mounts off.

Then a little time with a flapper disk and the frame is cleaned up and ready for the next mounts.

Then it was time for a cigar break... While I had the plasma cutter fired up I made some modifications to the belly skid. It fits now.

But I'm sure glad I went with the 2" drop skid instead of the 1" drop skid I'd initially had planned on getting.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #664 of 740 Old 09-19-2021, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got back working on the body mounts today. Had 4 of them to do and it took me about 4 hours to get them done.

Middle ones done.

And one set left. These front ones were IMO the hardest ones to do and I don't know why.

A little plasma cutter work and the body mounts are gone.

And while I had the room to work I went ahead a ran a tap thru the bolt holes to clean them up. Makes threading a bolt in a lot easier.

The last two raised body mounts done.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #665 of 740 Old 09-20-2021, 05:51 PM
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I knew you'd have a bit of an issue clearing that trans pan. I'm glad you got it figured out though.

To be honest with you Rick, your welds are looking a little cold. Try slowing down some and letting the weld wet in. If they're still tall and skinny like they are now then try cranking up the heat a little bit.
wildman4x4nut likes this.
post #666 of 740 Old 09-20-2021, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got the engine ready to be set back in place. I wonder how many more times I'm going to set it in place and then remove it again before it's finally there for the last time?

Back in place but after looking at this more I think I need to clearance my shock mount a little more.

The transmission skid has a WOW in it from before that I need to try and bend back out of it. But then I need to strengthen it again also. I'm thinking get some more angle iron and weld that over the top of what's there already. It's a Skid Row skid.

Then the Brown santa showed up with the order from WOD.
New links for the front since I'm 2.75" longer in the front. And since I've never ran aluminum steering I decided to give it a try.

I'll get the new front links on tomorrow morning but that will be about it as I have a doctors appointment in the afternoon.

NashvilleTJ likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #667 of 740 Old 09-20-2021, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
I knew you'd have a bit of an issue clearing that trans pan. I'm glad you got it figured out though.

To be honest with you Rick, your welds are looking a little cold. Try slowing down some and letting the weld wet in. If they're still tall and skinny like they are now then try cranking up the heat a little bit.
OK thanks I'll try turning it up a little more.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #668 of 740 Old 09-22-2021, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Some of the guys were asking over on the Wrangler TJ forum about how much clearance I had on the drivers side.

So the power steering pump is close but no where near as close as the York compressor is.

A couple more shots of the York compressor & the shock tower. This is looking up from the bottom of the York

And then looking down from the top of the shock tower.

So the plan is to cut out this area that I darkened in with a sharpie.

Which would give about 1/2" of clearance near the top. Yes I know I failed in this picture.

And about 3/4" clearance towards the bottom which is the area that is the problem right now.

So I'll be pulling the engine out again tomorrow and cutting that section out and then weld it all back together with it boxed in similar to how it is now.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #669 of 740 Old 09-22-2021, 07:04 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I heard some idiot over there recommended you go back to an I-6…

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #670 of 740 Old 09-22-2021, 11:05 AM
Jo3Gee

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wildman's TJ from Then til Now

My clearance with ZJ power steering bracket and TJ pump…

07wurubi and NashvilleTJ like this.
post #671 of 740 Old 09-22-2021, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
I heard some idiot over there recommended you go back to an I-6…

Those who have never gotten to know the pleasure of a V-8 make comments like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo3Gee View Post
My clearance with ZJ power steering bracket and TJ pump…

Yes but I'm not having clearance issues on the PS side. And yes it'd be nice to not have the PS pump sticking out there like that but I'm not going to switch now.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #672 of 740 Old 09-22-2021, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ran into town and ran some errands first thing and then came home and pulled the engine back out. And then I started trimming the shock tower. This my first cut.

It was better but I wanted a little more.

So I pulled the engine back out and trimmed it back a little more which I think will be enough.

So I've got a good 1/2" of clearance now.

And a shot from inside the shock tower looking in at where the plate will go.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #673 of 740 Old 09-22-2021, 05:14 PM
Jo3Gee

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman4x4nut View Post
Yes but I'm not having clearance issues on the PS side. And yes it'd be nice to not have the PS pump sticking out there like that but I'm not going to switch now.
Yup, looks like you’re good, just an fyi. Your build is coming along great, I really like following your thread!
post #674 of 740 Old 09-22-2021, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo3Gee View Post
Yup, looks like you’re good, just an fyi. Your build is coming along great, I really like following your thread!
Thanks for that. I sometimes feel like I'm NEVER gunna get it done.

Can you tell me how much the engine rocks when you're tromping on the throttle? Or when power braking? And then when you let off the throttle? It's been too long since I've had mine running to remember.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #675 of 740 Old 09-22-2021, 06:42 PM
Jo3Gee

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman4x4nut View Post
Thanks for that. I sometimes feel like I'm NEVER gunna get it done.

Can you tell me how much the engine rocks when you're tromping on the throttle? Or when power braking? And then when you let off the throttle? It's been too long since I've had mine running to remember.

It rocks pretty good, but not more then an inch I would guess. I haven’t measured. I have the advanced adapter motor mounts fyi. I think you’ll be fine, if the york taps, it shouldn’t be too bad or too often. Nothing you couldn’t address later if it is a problem for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in