Wildman's TJ from Then til Now - Page 43 - JeepForum.com
 468Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #631 of 805 Old 08-31-2021, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply Jeff. So now to just keep on pluggin away at it and I'll be flexin the crap out of the front.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 805 Old 08-31-2021, 01:22 PM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman4x4nut View Post
OK got a shock mounting question for the masses.

So my top mounting location has the bolt for the shocks running inline with the frame. And right now the way I have the mounting tabs set the bolt is also inline with the frame. On a stock TJ the top mount is a stem instead of a eye mount and the bottom is a bar pin that runs inline with the axle instead of like mine are.
So do you need to keep the upper and lower mounting bolts perpendicular with each other? Or could I mount the upper inline with the frame and the lower inline with the axle? Or would this cause damage to the shocks somehow?
I thought the top and bottom bolts were "supposed to be" tangent from each other. Of course that isn't how I built mine either. All of my bolts run parallel with the frame. That is how my mounts were designed by Ballistic Fab... many others are the same way. I don't really think it is that critical. There is plenty of movement in the spherical ends to accommodate the amount of misalignment a shock will see throughout it's travel.
wildman4x4nut likes this.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

post #633 of 805 Old 08-31-2021, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
I thought the top and bottom bolts were "supposed to be" tangent from each other. Of course that isn't how I built mine either. All of my bolts run parallel with the frame. That is how my mounts were designed by Ballistic Fab... many others are the same way. I don't really think it is that critical. There is plenty of movement in the spherical ends to accommodate the amount of misalignment a shock will see throughout it's travel.
Thanks for the reply. Yes it seems most of the mounts are like that from what I've seen. So I'm just gunna run with it. It would just SUCK to bend or break a almost $400 shock.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #634 of 805 Old 08-31-2021, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

A member from the Wrangler TJ forum had suggested that I weld some nuts to the backside of the shock tab since I didn't have much clearance between it and the spring pad. Of course I was looking at it and over thinking the whole thing.

So I dug around in the ton of coffee cans with nuts and bolts and found two nuts the correct size and welded them onto the back of the tabs.

After I got done welding the nuts on I ran a tap thru both of them to make sure the threads didn't get buggered up from the welding.

Once I'd chased the threads on both nut I started to play around with making sure the tabs were positioned just right for the bolt to screw in easily. So I'm still messing around with them but it was time for a break.

So I know what I'm doing first tomorrow and then I'll tack everything together and double check fit.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #635 of 805 Old 08-31-2021, 07:52 PM
cpia84
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Looks like good work. Always a good idea to chase the threads after welding. Iíve learned that already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YJOTM: Jan 2021

post #636 of 805 Old 08-31-2021, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpia84 View Post
Looks like good work. Always a good idea to chase the threads after welding. Iíve learned that already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm learning that myself. I've only done this a few times before.

Thanks I'm trying but no expert for sure.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #637 of 805 Old 09-01-2021, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Went back out and worked on the mounts a little more. I took some bolts that were too long and cut them down so I have the shoulder of the bolt that shock will ride on. Got the tabs setup where I can screw the bolts in by hand.

Drivers side bolt will need to be shortened just a hair or I might just throw a washer on it instead.

Passenger side is better.

So tomorrow morning I'll tack them in place and make sure nothing shifted. Then I can put the shocks back on and start to cycle the suspension. Once I get that all checked out I can finally order the new front control arms.

Wide Open Design builds them out of aluminum and also sells aluminum steering linkage. I've never tried running aluminum drag link or tie rod before and am thinking I might order some just to see how I like it.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #638 of 805 Old 09-01-2021, 08:12 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Use a split washer, which you need to keep the bolt from backing out, and that should do it. Maybe have to take just a shade off the bolt.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #639 of 805 Old 09-01-2021, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Use a split washer, which you need to keep the bolt from backing out, and that should do it. Maybe have to take just a shade off the bolt.
Yep some type of locking washer will be used and of course locktite on the threads too.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #640 of 805 Old 09-01-2021, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the bolts I shortened up for the lower shock mounts.

Then I tacked the shock tabs on.

Then I mounted the shocks back up to check for proper fit. I have the reservoirs mounted onto the shocks right now just to get them out of the way and not have them hanging around. I don't know if that will be where I leave them or mount them onto the frame.

Passenger side

And the Drivers side

And the lower shock mount bolt. I threw 2 flat washers on for now but will change them out.

The bolts just reach the back of the nut.

Thinking if I made the bolts just a little longer I could stake the threads on the bolts to help them not walk back out.

And now I need to decide if I need/want limiting straps and if I do where and how to mount them. I know I need to use something like a double shear tab.

EDIT: After some discussion over on the Wrangler TJ forum I don't need limiting straps. I'd swore someone had suggested them to me a while but but I could be getting having one if I have driveline bind confused with needed them.
So no limiting straps
NashvilleTJ and rdock31 like this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #641 of 805 Old 09-01-2021, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got to careful of the advice you get sometimes too....

Heck if I listened to Jeff (Nashville TJ) he'd be having me using cross drilled bolts and using safety wire all over my Jeep. Of course he says he was just being sarcastic but who are you gunna believe...
NashvilleTJ likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #642 of 805 Old 09-02-2021, 07:36 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Just trying to keep you safe, Dude, just trying to keep you safeÖ

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #643 of 805 Old 09-02-2021, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Just trying to keep you safe, Dude, just trying to keep you safeÖ

Good to know I got you lookin out for my safety.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #644 of 805 Old 09-04-2021, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well today started off with GOOD intentions and plans to get things ready so I could put my front axle back together. My axle was in bad shape when I had taken it apart from sitting and since I'd buried it in mud right before that everything was rusted. I needed to remove the inner spindle bearings but couldn't get a punch on then due to the design of the spindle. So out came the puller with slide hammer.

First one came out pretty easily.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #645 of 805 Old 09-04-2021, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Lots of PB Blaster was used on both but the second spindle was not gunna give it up.

So I had to get out the BIB dog and use it to get that bearing out.

Now I should have been paying more attention to the spindles BEFORE I started working on them. One of the spindles has buggered up threads so I'm gunna have to order a new one. And while I probably could have gotten by with only replacing one I went a head and ordered two and I'll have a spare.

Then I started looking at my hub & rotor assemblies and noticed one of them is bent (not round) so I'm gunna need a new one of them also. So yep I ordered two new ones.

So it was an expensive afternoon.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in