Wildman's TJ from Then til Now - Page 41 - JeepForum.com
 347Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #601 of 614 Old 03-08-2021, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

And since the engine was sitting there looking all lonely I figured I would tease everyone plus give myself a little boost towards getting this done.

And then I got the new diff cover from Barnes 4WD in today so I can get that installed and see if it fixes my clearance issues with the trackbar.

07wurubi and NashvilleTJ like this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 614 Old 03-09-2021, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I started off today with installing the tummy tuck and then the Skid Row transmission/oil pan skid plate. Of course becasue this is custom the mounts that came with the skid plate don't work. But as it sits right now I can bolt the support braces to the motor mounts on the engine. Of course only one of the braces is long enough to work with what I have. So I sent a email to Skid Row to see if I can buy just one of the braces.

With the 8 quart oil pan I have the skid plate just clears it. I've got to do some measurements and see if I have room for a different transmission pan also as I'd like to get one that has a bung for a temp probe & also a drain plug as that makes draining the transmission fluid easier.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #603 of 614 Old 03-09-2021, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Then I installed the new diff cover I'd gotten from Barnes 4WD. My HOPE is that this will give me the clearance I need on the trackbar so I can get to my full bump. So I was REALLY happy when I swapped out the diff covers and it cleared and gives me enough room if I wanted to go up more I could.

This is with the drivers side sitting at full bump.

Tie rod clears with no issues and the trackbar has a ton of room now. Then I took the passenger side up to full bump to see if there were any other issues and I'm happy to say it all works together well now.

So doing the TNT Custom steering rotation/stretch has turned out to be a very GOOD thing. I have all the room I need now for the drag link/tie rod & trackbar to all work together and not hit things like my old setup was.

The frame side trackbar bracket clears and if I wanted I could go up another inch or a little more.

And the axle side trackbar bracket clears the frame also with a little room to spare.

It really feel good to be putting things together and not hacking things off the Jeep for a change. I am moving forward and can't wait for that FIRST time I have the engine running and then when I finally get to drive it.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #604 of 614 Old 03-09-2021, 08:05 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Nice work Rick.
wildman4x4nut likes this.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #605 of 614 Old 03-13-2021, 05:03 PM
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good Rick. I like that you're using the engine mount for the skid mount as well. I'll probably end up doing the same thing. Instead of ordering a new piece from Skid row could you not just pick up a piece of angle iron from Home Depot or something?

Glad to see that you got all of your clearances figured out as well. It definitely does become a big puzzle.
post #606 of 614 Old 03-14-2021, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

So I went back and looked at things again on how to mount the engine/transmission skid braces and I think I have a plan but need to look at it and ponder a little more. So the idea is to just use some 1" flat stock 1/4" thick to make the mounts with and either weld or bolt those pieces to the motor mounts on the frame. And I'd use 2 pieces so that I captured the skid braces in between them. I hope these pictures make it more clear.

The passenger side is a lot easier OF COURSE since I don't have a upper link to worry about.

The drivers side is a little bit more complicated. My one thought is that if I weld these pieces of to the motor mount it might cause issues when pulling/installing the engine. So the other thought is to bolt flat stock to the motor mounts.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #607 of 614 Old 03-29-2021, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's been a while since I posted anything since my daughter and I both got food poisoning some how so we were both not really feeling very energetic.
My birthday was last Monday and my daughter got my a really COOL Neon Sign.

So today I worked on making the brackets for the engine/transmission skid plate. I think I've got this figured out and will be making it so that these can be bolted on so that I can remove then if needed and that way they won't be sticking into the engine bay. All I did was cut the tabs and drill holes. I've got 5 more holes to do tomorrow.

07wurubi, NashvilleTJ and TJosh02 like this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #608 of 614 Old 03-30-2021, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I couldn't sleep so I went back out to the garage and did some looking and checking my idea of how I plan to mount the tab that I'll be bolting the brackets to. I'm going to tie into the motor mounts I hope just to add some strength to them.

Because the MM's are angled I needed to have a flat area for the brackets to be bolted to.

I'll finish the holes and then tack everything into place to make sure it works how I think it will.

I think I've got it all figured out but we'll have to wait and see.
NashvilleTJ likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #609 of 614 Old 03-30-2021, 06:32 AM
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Your daughter did good. That sign is awesome. Happy Birthday

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

post #610 of 614 Old 03-30-2021, 06:57 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thatís pretty cool, Rick. Glad you and your daughter are doing better.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #611 of 614 Old 04-01-2021, 05:15 PM
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Keep plucking away at this thing and you should be done in no time. Again one of my next projects after I loom my wiring will be figuring out the new front mounts for my engine skid.
post #612 of 614 Old 04-11-2021, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I finally got all the holes drilled in the tabs I'm making for my skid plate braces to mount to.

I wanted to make tabs with the nuts welded to it so I didn't have to try to fish the nuts into the area near the motor mounts.

Then to make the tabs that will tie into braces from the skid to the mounting tabs next to the motor mounts. I bolted the arms from the skid to get the proper spacing and welded some spacers in place. The shorter one is for the passenger side.

And then the longer one is for the drivers side.

Here are the tabs with the nuts welded to them next to the motor mounts. I'm going to weld these onto the frame and then will bolt the extensions to them and then the arms for the engine/transmission skid plate.

We'll see how this works out and if my idea plays out the way I HOPE it will. Going to tack them in place today and then see how everything lines up.

\

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #613 of 614 Old 04-12-2021, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

When I started on the Jeep today I ran a tap thru the nut backer plate just to make sure everything was ok. Then I was test fitting the brackets to the plates and noticed that I could over tighten the one bolt and would bent the end down. So to fix that I welded a small spacer in between the two pieces of flat stock that makes the brackets.

Then I was looking at how to attach the nut backer plate to the motor mounts and realized that I could space them out a little by using some of the 1/4x1" flat stock.

Then again test fit the brackets to the nut backer plate.

The flat stock will stand the plates away from the motor mounts. During the test fitting it all looked great and I'm confident that it'll work.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #614 of 614 Old 04-12-2021, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Now it was time to weld the backer plate to the motor mounts. I tacked them on first and then went back and fully welded it to the motor mounts.

Tomorrow I will test fit the engine/transmission skid plate and verify the every thing is going to work.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in