Wildman's TJ from Then til Now - Page 37 - JeepForum.com
 417Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #541 of 740 Old 01-30-2021, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

While I was painting parts for the engine I started to get parts swapped over to my new & improved York compressor from ORO. As I was looking at the pulley for the V-belt that drives the compressor off the alternator I found the pulley bearing was making noise.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 740 Old 01-31-2021, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I started off my morning by going back and double checking the length I needed for the pushrods. So I got them ordered and then started painting parts. First I'd cleaned them up in the blasting cabinet and then wiped them down and then sprayed on 2 coats of primer & then two coats of flat aluminum paint. I was painting the power steering pump bracket & the alternator-A/C bracket.

While the paint was drying I installed the motor mounts. Now one of the things you find out about on the 5.9 the cast tabs for the motor mounts are narrower than on a 5.2 and because I'd had a 5.2 before I didn't have the parts needed to fix this. So I'd ordered the spacers from Advanced Adapters a while ago.

Got the drivers side motor mount installed.

Then I did the passenger side.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #543 of 740 Old 01-31-2021, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

And since I was getting closer to being done with the engine and since I'd never seen this on an engine I just had to see what it would look like.

And then I put the valve covers on just to see how they looked too.

daddyjeep87 likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #544 of 740 Old 01-31-2021, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was waiting on paint to dry again so I started transferring parts from my old York compressor to the new York compressor that is a redesign from ORO.

The mounting kit I have is one of only 10 if I remember correctly. Brad Kilby from Kilby Air had done a V-8 swap into his TJ back around 2004 and had made up a small batch of these brackets for the Dodge magnum V-8 and I'd taken a chance and called him to see if he had any left. Well he did so I didn't have to fab up some type of mounts myself. So here is the main bracket for the OBA.

Then I moved the magnet and pulley from the old York onto the new one.

Everything got Loc-Tited down as I installed the parts.

Because the York sits right where the coil for the V-8 is normally a bracket is attatched to the York.

Parts were dry so now it was time to install them. First was the power steering pump.

And then the pulley. Having the proper tools makes a HUGE difference in this case.

Pulley is installed.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #545 of 740 Old 01-31-2021, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Next was the alternator & A/C bracket.

Then I installed the York

Not a lot of room for that dipstick tube either.

07wurubi likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #546 of 740 Old 01-31-2021, 06:31 AM
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Man I know the re-assembly phase feels nice for you.

You're going to have a hell of a time getting this thing under the hood with that intake. At least I think I would.
wildman4x4nut likes this.
post #547 of 740 Old 01-31-2021, 06:33 AM
Jo3Gee

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good! Have you considered using the tj steering pump? It will pull everything in tighter and you won’t have to move your windshield washer fluid reservoir.
post #548 of 740 Old 01-31-2021, 07:06 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like a big day in the shop, Rick. Nice to see the intake actually sitting on the mill. Mean.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #549 of 740 Old 01-31-2021, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
Man I know the re-assembly phase feels nice for you.

You're going to have a hell of a time getting this thing under the hood with that intake. At least I think I would.
Yes I think it's going to be TIGHT or I might have to use a scoop on the hood. But I won't know until I get it sitting in the engine compartment.

And yes it feels great to finally be putting stuff back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo3Gee View Post
Looking good! Have you considered using the tj steering pump? It will pull everything in tighter and you won’t have to move your windshield washer fluid reservoir.
The ZJ power steering pump is what many use for the swap that I know of. I don't think I had to move the windshield washer reservoir and I had the same setup in the Jeep before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Looks like a big day in the shop, Rick. Nice to see the intake actually sitting on the mill. Mean.
I'm feeling it today too. But I've got a lot of stuff I can get done while i wait for parts to get here. Once I have the pushrods installed and the valve lash set the engine is pretty much done.
NashvilleTJ likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #550 of 740 Old 02-01-2021, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well it was a good thing a few people had asked me about the height of the 6 pack becaue I'd would have hated to have to be doing this with the engine mounted in the Jeep. Even with fenders & grill pulled I'd rather be doing this on the engine stand. So I attempted to set the intake onto the block BUT there were some clearance issues. The thermostat housing was hitting the alternator-A/C bracket. This intake is from a LA version 360 which is the older model V-8 offered in many Dodge vehicles. The LA model V-8 was offered from 1967-1992 and then the Magnum model V-6 & V-8 from 1993-2003. F&B modifies the 6 pack intake to work on the newer Magnum engines.

So I had to pull the alternator-A/C bracket back off and modified it to clear the 6 -pack intake. It's being painted and I'm waiting for the paint to dry now.

A few people here and on other forums I am on had questioned if the 6-pack intake was going to fit under the hood of my TJ. So I asked a friend over on the Dodge forum to measure the height of his TB on the stock kegger intake manifold.

Here is how tall the 6-pack intake manifold is in comparison.

So while it LOOKS like it is taller than the stock intake it isn't.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #551 of 740 Old 02-01-2021, 07:28 PM
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

What typwe of filter setup do you have for the top? That truck filter box would not fit in your Jeep anyway, its too tall. I have to Durango intake hat on mine and when I shut the hood it kisses the intake. I am going to notch a small hole in the hood bracing that the nut to tighten the intake will sit inside. My engine appears to be mounted a little higher than most people's I see but that's to give me plenty of clearance for my axle and links.

Here is my setup with the Durango intake hat.

post #552 of 740 Old 02-01-2021, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

WOW you have got to be more than a little higher than my mounts because I had all kinds of clearance with the air hat like you have.

I had clearance for this with no problems.

This is the air cleaner assembly.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #553 of 740 Old 02-02-2021, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

One thing I noticed yesterday was the the tensioner pulley was hitting the bottom of the York compressor. I don't remember this being an issue before so the design of this new York must be different on the bottom. Here is how it's hitting right now. It's not wedged there as I can spin the pulley it's just rubbing on it.

With a belt on it isn't even close so I don't know that it's really a problem. I just don't like it to rub even if it's only when I have a belt off.

NashvilleTJ and BuckeyeNative like this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #554 of 740 Old 02-04-2021, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well I didn't get a lot done today as I had a doctors appointment this morning and didn't get home until after 1PM. But I had picked up some items I needed while in town also. I needed a way to mount the MAP sensor close to a vacuum port. So I ended up drilling the bushing in the MAP sensor out to 1/4" and mounted the MAP sensor to the side of the manifold.

I'd picked up a 1/2" long bushing to space the MAP sensor away from the mounting spot.

I put the serpentine belt on to see how it looks and make sure I'd gotten everything where I needed it.

And the correct by-pass hose arrived today which was nice but them made me realize that I need to remove the alt-A/C bracket to be able to get the manifold installed evenly with the way this hose sits. The LA style manifold is a little different than the Magnum intake.

So as long as everything goes okay I should be out in the garage tomorrow working on the engine. Once I get the pushrods installed I can install the rocker arms and get them set to zero lash and then can install the valve covers and I'll be done with the engine until I start working on the wiring. Then I can start on the steering rotation/stretch.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #555 of 740 Old 02-05-2021, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got side tracked with a few other things today so I didn't get much done. Put I did get my rocker arms installed along with all the pushrods so now I just need to get them adjusted. I also got the reduction bushing in for my 2nd coolant temp probe. I have the factory one and then one for my fan controller. I have a SPAL fan controller that allows you to set it so the fan will come on at 50% speed at a programed temp and then 100% at another programed temp.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in