Wildman's TJ from Then til Now - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 804 Old 03-11-2015, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The vendor I got the centers from said he had gotten a batch of bad steel and that was the only thing he could figure out what happened. I had him make me 4 new rims instead of trying to make my own again. And he paid the freight because of the bad centers. I don't have any pictures of the new rims yet. But I'll get some and post them up soon.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 804 Old 03-11-2015, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

When the rim broke on me I drove the Jeep to the main road and had stopped while I was thinking if I should try driving it back to camp. Well when I stopped and had pulled to the side of the road I had left the engine running. Now I had been having issues with the engine overheating and had installed a aluminum radiator to try and cool the engine. Well it worked sort of................................................ ............It kept the engine at 210* or close to it. Just as I was thinking I would try to drive back to camp I saw smoke coming up from under the hood. The wiring for my electric fan was on fire. The fuse hadn't popped instead it had burnt and so had the wiring around it. So because of the continued overheating issues I parked the Jeep and that is where it has been since 2010. I didn't have the money to get new rims or fix the engine at the time.

Next I'll start on my engine build I have been working on for the past 3 years.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #33 of 804 Old 05-22-2015, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well I figured I should pop in a give another update. Been sick for the past week so I have not felt like doing anything. Plan on getting the engine ready to go to R&Q and run it over to them next week. I'm getting the engine hot tanked, have the rotating assembly checked for balance, new cam bearings & freeze plugs installed. Then when I get it back from them I'll be ready to reassemble the engine and install it into my Jeep. While the engine is at the machine shop I'll get the old engine and tranny pulled so I am ready when the engine comes back. Other than that nothing exciting going on in my neck of the woods. Once the Jeep is all back together and running then it is time for a trip over to see Build It Off-Road to have a few things done to it.

I just called the machine shop and have the list of all the parts I need to bring in with me. When I get ready to install the piston rings it is going to take me a while to do it with the Total Seal rings. I'm just going to take my time and try not to screw anything up. Then once it is all back together I'll have to be calling Ryan to get my tune ready for the engine. This is going to be interesting as I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to data logging. I bought the data logger he suggested but I have no idea how to use it. And from the reading I have been doing about other guys who have built 408's they have all had to go with a 3" exhaust and I have a 2 1/2" on it right now. So when I get the new exhaust made I'll have an extra O2 bung installed. Or maybe 2 extra bungs? I have a AFR gauge that I am going to install also.
Anybody got a good web site with easy step by step directions on how to use a data logger? I have the Innovate Motorsports 3832 OT-2 OBD-II if that helps any. And I'm not an Apple person either so I am hoping that I can use my daughters old iPhone 4 that isn't activated to link with the data logger.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #34 of 804 Old 05-23-2015, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I spent the afternoon in the garage getting all the stuff ready to go to the machine shop.
New harmonic balancer.

Here are the new total seal rings. The only one that is any different than standard rings is the top. So that is the only one I took pictures of.

This is the top ring and the inner ring that makes it a gapless ring.

Here is the rings put together. Picture #1 top side of ring. Picture #2 bottom side of ring.
Container with the bolts for the flex plate & harmonic balancer. Got to love ARP stuff.

Container with pistons & rods, harmonic balancer & ARP bolts.

Now I have a question for all the guys who know more than me. Which is just about everyone.............................. :icon_dopey: Don't these weights mean that this is a internally balanced crank?

If it is a internally balanced crank then I think we have a problem Huston.

The shop that put this engine together for Derick C must be idiots if that crank is an internally balanced crank. Might explain some of his issues he had with the engine.
Here is the crank. I would think if this was a Scat or Eagle crank there would be something saying so on the crank.

I tried searching using this number and it doesn't come up with anything.

Block ready to go into the back of my truck.

So tomorrow I am going to get the engine and parts loaded into truck.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #35 of 804 Old 06-14-2015, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well I don't seem to get a lot of comments on my build. I am hoping in the next week or so I will have my engine over at the machine shop to start getting all the work done to it. Once I get it back I'll be putting to back together and getting ready to install it into the Jeep.

Well I didn't get anything done to the engine today but I did get my new welding cart put together. On top of that I got the my new welder on it and the plasma cutter too.

The reason I picked this cart is because it has, 5 hooks for cables.

3 on the back plus a bracket to hold the mig gun.

And then 2 more on the end below the handle.

It also has compartments on the door for your smaller welding parts.

And the top drawer is divided up for more small parts. I plan on using the door for mig and tig parts and the drawer for plasma cutter parts.

I cannot get this picture to work. I'll keep trying and maybe at a later date it will be working.

And then on top of that it has space for two tanks instead of just one. This way I'll have a tank for mig and one for tig on the cart.

Overall I am very happy with the cart and it is made very well. I got it off Amazon but it comes from Northern Tools.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #36 of 804 Old 06-20-2015, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Okay all I have been looking at this radiator now for the past 6 months since I pulled it and want some opinions from others. If you look you can see the filler neck on the passenger side and the upper radiator hose on the drivers side. But the filler neck is the same height or just lower than the upper radiator hose. This doesn't seem right to me as how are you going to get the radiator completely full with it like this. Am I just confused or am I correct and this is wrong?

Just a few more pictures of the radiator.

If I decide to just use this radiator I still need to take it in and get the side mounts moved down 2 1/2" as the radiator sits to high.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #37 of 804 Old 06-20-2015, 06:51 PM
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

thats alot of work man !!!

so you plan on getting the v8 back together, new rims address the rad and youll be done ?

as far as the rad, i suppose you tilt the jeep up on the filler neck side. or fill it, and burp the **** out of the hoses and hope that a few heat cycles it will have sucked back in enough fluid and burped out all the air to be completely filled. but yes that does look very odd.

stratton.
post #38 of 804 Old 06-20-2015, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes I have some work in front of me. I have new rims already, Stazworks built me 4 new rims 2 years ago. I'll get some pictures of them posted up soon.
The engine is going to the machine shop next week and I'll get all my machine work done. Then while it is in the shop I'll pull the engine and tranny. Got a buddy from Oregon who is going to come pick it up and use it as a builder.
Once the engine is back I just have to put it together and then install it, new tranny and transfer case. I hope I can have it done before the end of the wheeling season around here.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #39 of 804 Old 06-20-2015, 08:10 PM
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

never seems to end huh. seems like everytime, i get my jeep where i want it, im on to the next mod. but ive always been this way with my cars, never assumed it would be any different lol.

you could always add in a inline rad cap in the top rad hose. and just weld the fill hole closed and or just run another rad cap and just twin the lines together. but im probably missing something here, as are you. but it does seem like a silly design that could have been easily corrected by the designer of the rad.

stratton.
post #40 of 804 Old 06-20-2015, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes well like I said I have been looking at this damn thing now for 6 months and the more I look at it the more I hate it. I took some more pictures and I want everyone to look at the drivers side tank. Notice how small it is? I don't know squat about radiator design but that just doesn't sit right with me any more than the filler neck. And yes the simple solution is to just add a filler in the top hose.

Here are the rims I got from Stazworks. http://www.stazworks.com/ make rims for the military plus a whole bunch of other folks too.

I said this once before but I am going to say this again, I don't know what is wrong with my thread but it just doesn't see any comments. Now I know I had already built the Jeep once but I am doing it again and fixing some things that were needing my attention. On top of that I am building a new engine which is a 408ci stroked Dodge Magnum V-8 5.9 (360). And I know I am slower than heck but all I can tell you is I will get it done. I am in pain a lot which doesn't allow me to go work so I have to pick my days when I can get into the garage.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #41 of 804 Old 07-03-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well I hate to say it but it is looking like I am not going to get this done this year. This damn divorce is still not over with and I am getting calls from creditors and collection companies because the ex isn't paying her bills. So all my extra cash is going to have to be saved just in case I have to pay stuff. I hate this crap!!!
As soon as I am able to take the engine to the machine shop and get the work done I'll start posting here again. I'll be around just not posting in this thread.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #42 of 804 Old 07-04-2015, 12:39 AM
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hear. *****es are crazy.

Stratton.
post #43 of 804 Old 07-07-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes they are, us guys should know better.................................. it bleeds once a month and doesn't die. So it must be EVIL!!!!!!

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #44 of 804 Old 01-30-2018, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well it has been a long time since I have done any updates to this thread. Not a lot has been happening other than I got my new intake manifold for the engine when I finally get it done. My hopes and plans are to have the engine into the machine shop next month. I should have it back in March and then I can start putting the engine back together. I need to get it done before June as I am going into the hospital for surgery and won't be able to do any work for a few months after.

Here is my new intake manifold.

This intake is made by F & B Throttle Bodies, http://www.fbthrottlebodies.com/ Now the last time I talked with them I was told this might have been the last intake they would be making for the Dodge magnum engine because the intake manifold they modified was not being produced any longer. It isn't a cheap intake as it sells for around $2,600 but I lucked out and got a heck of a deal because the intake was used. They are great people to deal with and I can't wait until I get my engine assembled and installed so I can hear it run.

Enjoy and I'll update as I get things done.
WSS likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #45 of 804 Old 01-23-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wow I just read thru my build thread trying to catch myself up on where I had left off. My last post was 1/29/18. I was having some serious health issues and it was part of what was keeping me from getting work done on my Jeep. The bullet that had gone thru my leg had caused some nerve damage also. So over the years the nerve pain had gotten worse and worse to the point that I wasn't able to stand for more than 10 minutes. I had been fighting with doctors since about 2009 that I wanted them to amputate my lower right leg to get rid of the pain. So in July of 2017 I had met a doctor who said he would do the amputation but wanted me to do some other things first. Well on 14 May 2018 I went into Harborview hospital in Seattle. Yes I had to go to a civilian hospital because the VA would not do the amputation for me, they would rather just give me drugs to try and mask the pain.

No more lower right leg & NO MORE PAIN...……………..

Yes I still am learning how to deal with being am amputee and yes I have some pain from wearing my prosthetic but it isn't anything like what I was going thru before the amputation.
20 Aug 2018 walking without a cane or crutches.

My new socket that I had designed the wrap that went on it.

And soon we will get back to our regularly scheduled program of my Jeep build not that I can work on it again.
TJnBC and wytetrash like this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in