Wildman's TJ from Then til Now - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
 196Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #376 of 392 Old 08-31-2020, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Worked on the trackbar placement over the weekend. Things are going to be TIGHT trying to get all this stuff in limited space.

Picked up some parts today on my way to my doctors appointment so can try and mock up the steering some tomorrow. Pitman arm just barely fits.

The axle side bracket for the trackbar just fits against the Rubicon Express spring pad.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #377 of 392 Old 09-01-2020, 08:11 AM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good Rick. Moving along at a decent speed too. Some great insight for the next guy doing this. Keep it up! Soon you will be rolling in it.

Once you have the kinks worked out, what is your first adventure looking like?

The family TJ build:

non stock CJ's:

My CJ5 Build:

post #378 of 392 Old 09-01-2020, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Looking good Rick. Moving along at a decent speed too. Some great insight for the next guy doing this. Keep it up! Soon you will be rolling in it.

Once you have the kinks worked out, what is your first adventure looking like?
Thanks Tommy.

I'll be hitting local trails to try and work the bugs out of it. Then if I have it running and had a few shakedown runs in it I will be going to Moab at the end of April in 2021. The Wrangler Jeep TJ forum is having a GTG (get together) and are talking about making this an annual event. Back in the day Jeeps Unlimited use to have a annual trip to Moab and I went 2 years.

Then as funds will allow and as the snow melts I want to head in your direction and hit some trails.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #379 of 392 Old 09-02-2020, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Messed with the trackbar a little more yesterday to give the pitman arm a little more space. So I moved it about a inch towards the rear of the Jeep.

Also install the diff cover so I could check it's clearance to the trackbar also.

I'm going to need to cut down the axle side bracket as it is hitting the frame and won't let it go to full stuff.

I had thought I was going to be able to mock up my steering but the PVC piping I have is the wrong size so I need to make another trip to towm.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #380 of 392 Old 09-03-2020, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Started to try mocking up the steering between yesterday and today. And HUSTON We Have A Problem...........

The Black Magic swaybar raised mounts don't work with my high steer arms. And just to NOTE: These items were designed for TJ axles and not my Ford D44 axle.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #381 of 392 Old 09-08-2020, 01:44 PM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Wild man,

Just read the thread, what a story. Sorry about your leg/foot, but I am glad you are no longer in pain from the wound. I tore a tendon in my right foot about six years ago. It’s never been right since. Two surgery’s later it appears it is still crooked and is painful for sure, but I am still healing since the last surgery on New Years eave 2019. I believe I understand a little bit about what you went through. Loosing the ability to walk normal without pain is a life changing event, no doubt.

Thanks for serving. My middle kid is an Army Aviator, he has deployed to Afghanistan twice, and I worked for the Army for a year in 2014 as a CH-47 Chinook Maintenance Instructor at Fort Eustis, so I got a little taste of the Army, it was actually a great job, but it was only a temporary position, otherwise I might still be there. I did 26 years of Coast Guard active duty. One of my favorite units was when I was stationed at Coast Guard AIRSTA Port Angeles. It was 1986, and I had a new 1986 CJ-7 back then. I had a lot of fun wheeling my CJ-7 on the Olympic Peninsula.

My youngest kid was just dropped off at college about a month ago. He is at Appalachian State in Boone NC. When you get your Jeep done take it down to North Bend when you go visit your daughter. I was stationed at Coast Guard AIRSTA North Bend 1996 thru 2000. They have a huge sand dune between Coos Bay and Umpqua River. I don’t know what kind of wheeling you do, but a couple days on the Sand dunes might be a fun time. We used to catch our limit of Dungeness crabs, using about 4 or 5 crab rings, in a couple hours. Then we would buy a half bushel of oysters and burn pallets to cook the crabs & oysters. Good times!

About your build, man it’s looking like it’s gonna come together nicely. That HEMI with 425/425 is gonna be a lot of fun. I’m in the process of installing a little 4.0 based 4.7 inline six in my 1985 CJ-7 that I recently purchased. I’m planning a SOA YJ leaf spring conversion, stretch to about 100” like you. I’ll probably end up running 35’s, but that remains to be seen. That’s kinda a down the road type of decision. Anyway, I enjoyed the read, it started with some rough times but you have persevered. You raised your daughter, you are sending her to a good school, you have done everything a parent should do, congrats.
wildman4x4nut, NashvilleTJ and WSS like this.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #382 of 392 Old 09-09-2020, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you for the awesome post.

I'm not installing a Hemi in my TJ just to clarify. I am using a Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 magnum V-8 and then using a stroker kit which makes it a 6.7 (408ci) engine when it's done.
NashvilleTJ likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #383 of 392 Old 09-11-2020, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not much has been happening this week as I was busy getting my daughter ready to head off to college. Now I'm a empty nester and not sure what to do...... She is safe in Oregon and starts classes on Monday.

So when I had time I've been doing some LIGHT reading.

One of the big PLUSES about stroking a Dodge small block is the deck height of the block. Becasue of this you don't have to do any machine work to the block to run a stroker crankshaft like you do with a Chevy or Ford.
The Dodge magnum 5.9 (360) has a 4" bore stock and by going to a stroker crankshaft I'll now have a 4" stroke so it will be a square engine which is good for torque. My block has been bored 0.030 over stock so this makes the engine a 6.7 (408).

Been brushing up on what I need to do as I put this thing back together.

I'm using Keith Black Hypereutectic pistons.

And Total Seal Gapless piston rings. The top ring will be the gapless ring.

Hopefully will get started on this soon.
NashvilleTJ and WSS like this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #384 of 392 Old 09-15-2020, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

WOW, trying to get the steering and other things in the front just seems to take FOREVER.

I started off my trimming the trackbar brackets at the axle and frame so they would clear. Then I tacked the axle bracket on and clamped the frame bracket on the frame. Moved back to where I had it to start with and everything clears.

Then I installed the air bags and inflated them to 8 PSI so I could see how they were going to clear everything. Plus with air in the bags it helps when flexing the suspension and allows me to see if they will touch or rub on anything.
So far all is good.

I compressed the suspension to 11" from the bottom of the bag to the top of the upper bag mount. This is where I want to set my compressed height of close to it. I will play with it some more tomorrow and see how much more I can compress the bags.

My oder from total seal came in today so I will start assembling the engine soon.
NashvilleTJ likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #385 of 392 Old 09-15-2020, 07:59 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good Rick. How much pressure do you usually run in those bags at normal ride height?

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #386 of 392 Old 09-15-2020, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Looks good Rick. How much pressure do you usually run in those bags at normal ride height?
I want to say it's around 30psi but to be honest it has been WAY to long since I have had a working Jeep. And of course it changes depending on what you are doing.

When you're in off highway mode you can adjust it any way you want. But I made the mistake of over inflating the bags before and my articulation SUCKED. When I reset it and went with the preset height it was fine again.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #387 of 392 Old 09-20-2020, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yanked the block back out of the Jeep and got it mounted to my engine stand. This is just where the fun will begin.

So to start I need to file the piston rings so that they have a certain end gap clearance. Because of the KB pistons I am using and the Total Seal Gapless piston rings they require more gap than other setups. To make sure I got this correct I called Total Seal to double check the numbers that I was coming up with.

Top ring end gap is 0.036

And the second ring needs a end gap of 0.026

And the oil rings need a end gap of 0.015.

As I do the rings for each cylinder I am putting the rings in that cylinder. Once I am done filing all the rings then I'll install them onto that piston and set them aside while I clean the block. I still need to take the brushes to all the oil passages and water jackets. Then I'll paint the block and then assemble the engine.
07wurubi and NashvilleTJ like this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #388 of 392 Old 09-20-2020, 11:32 PM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Let the show begin!
wildman4x4nut likes this.

The family TJ build:

non stock CJ's:

My CJ5 Build:

post #389 of 392 Old 09-21-2020, 07:53 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I absolutely love working on a engine in a stand. It looks like we have the same stand - that rotating crank is great.

So the gapless rings require a larger gap than a standard ring? Why is that?

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #390 of 392 Old 09-21-2020, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
I absolutely love working on a engine in a stand. It looks like we have the same stand - that rotating crank is great.

So the gapless rings require a larger gap than a standard ring? Why is that?
I don't like using the manual rotating type engine stands. IMHO when you have a almost completed engine it's DANG NAB heavy and hard to rotate. The other thing is that with this engine stand you can set the engine at any angle you want.

Total Seal makes the gapless rings in two different styles. It can be either the top compression ring or the 2nd compression ring. Which one you choose depends on application from what I understand.

Quote:
Why Choose a Gapless® Top or Gapless® 2nd Ring?
A Gapless® top provides the greatest performance benefit (increased horsepower and crankcase vacuum). However, a Gapless® 2nd provides excellent oil control and blow-by prevention (less oil consumption).As such, we typically recommend a Gapless® top for naturally aspirated applications, especially V8 and straight engines.For flat (horizontally opposed) engines and turbo or surper-charged engines, we recommend a Gapless® 2nd.Most Total Seal® piston ring styles are available in Gapless® configurations.
https://www.totalseal.com/rings/gapless-rings

The gap is larger because of the gapless rings but also because of the KB hyper pistons.

Quote:
KB Automotive Hyper
Created from a high-silicon aluminum alloy, KB Performance pistons are lightweight to improve throttle response and RPM changes while still being strong enough to withstand high compression and high temperatures. Each piston is engineered with race ready features like high upper compression-ring locations, gas-accumulator grooves, drilled oil returns, and spiral-lock retainer grooves.

KB Performance pistons are available for many popular engine makes and displacements. They also come in a variety of compression ratios to suit your performance needs. Have a look through our catalog and find the piston that meets your needs and wants today!
Here's a link to the KB pistons install instructions.
https://uempistons.com/file/2702-KB+...structions.pdf

I'd never tried the gapless rings before so I thought I would give them a try. And since I was trying to build this engine with torque as it's main goal and not top end HP. We'll have to wait and see how it works out when it's all said and done.
NashvilleTJ likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in