Wildman's TJ from Then til Now - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
 108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of 231 Old 05-14-2020, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I started off trying to decide what I was going to do on the Jeep today and decided that I would mount 2 of new tires so I had them to use when I was flexing the axles to check for clearance. As I was getting things ready FedEx dropped off the parts I was waiting on to finish the install of the new pump for my compressor.

The compressor is back up and running. Makes a little more noise than it did before but it is working and I'm cooking with air now..... Whoot whoot Yahoo.....
Will see how it does for the next few days.

WSS likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 231 Old 05-16-2020, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Did I ever tell you I was getting OLD? Dang Nab doing one tire KICKED my butt BAD. But I got the first one mounted. For those of you who have never dealt with a dual beadlock wheel let me tell you they are a lot of work but worth it.

So here is my new 36x13.5x16.5 IROCK compared to the old 38x12.5x16.5 TSL SX both tires are mounted on a rim.

Yesterday I got the Jeep set at my approximate ride height and the axles sitting where they would be sitting. Then I started flexing the Jeep and taking measurements to see where I'm at and how much travel I'll have.

Also bead blasted the rear upper spring pads. I don't think I got an abrasive enough media.

Still better than if I had wire wheeled them. Then it was time for some paint.

This is weld thru primer of course so I can weld them back onto the frame

Then slid the transfer case under to see what it looks like under there and get an approximation of my rear driveline angle.

It looks like I'll be sitting at about 15* and it'll be 26 3/8" long.

I did run into a clearance issue with the crossmember for the gas tank. The JJ mounts on the truss hit the crossmember and as keeping me from about 2" of up travel.
So I need to look at what I want to do about that.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #213 of 231 Old 05-16-2020, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here it is with the rear driveshaft temp bolted in.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #214 of 231 Old 05-16-2020, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yesterday was an expensive day for me.

1) Wide Open Design called and Art Carr was finally producing shifters again and they had gotten my shifter in and it was ready to ship.

2) PSC called and said my steering box was done and that my old hyd assist cylinder is no longer made so I needed to get a newer one. That wasn't CEAP by a long shot.

3) My TMR high steer arms and heims were on their way.

Now I'll have all the parts I need to start on the center console. Plus be able to mock up my steering when the time comes.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #215 of 231 Old 05-16-2020, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

So here is where the rear axle upper JJ mounts are hitting the crossmember.

This is how much I will have to cut out of the crossmember.

I also took the Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers off today. This was the first mod I ever did to my Jeep when I bought it. I bought the Jeep in Sept 2002 and I think it was spring of 2003 when I installed them.
The tub on the Jeep looks just fine even after them being on there for 13 years but DANG NAB they hold a ton of mud under them.

NashvilleTJ likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #216 of 231 Old 05-18-2020, 07:09 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I had the same interference with the cross member. I cut out what I needed to and added a piece of angle iron across the back to retain the strength.
wildman4x4nut likes this.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19
post #217 of 231 Old 05-18-2020, 08:19 AM
coggsdsmt
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The build is looking great! Much respect, and thank you for your service!!
post #218 of 231 Old 05-18-2020, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
I had the same interference with the cross member. I cut out what I needed to and added a piece of angle iron across the back to retain the strength.
Thinking about if I am just going to notch the frame or if I'll move the frame back. You cut the frame just after where it bends in back and move the hump back and trim the end of the frame off. This isn't mine but here is a picture of one.

Yesterday was a slow day but one of those days where I didn't think I got anything done but really did. Started off the day sweeping the floors and cleaning up. Then I moved the rear upper mounts forward about an inch because the upper arms were adjusted to long when I was trying to get the lover spring pads level.

Got the rear axle back under the Jeep and pulled the front axle back out. Had a bunch of little stuff to do to it. The big thing I needed to do was fix the tie in bracket between the truss and front diff cover. Need this to help strengthen the truss as the 3 link adds more stress to it.

Of course I forgot to take any pictures before I started to modify it. I cut the bracket in half and then bolted it up to the truss to see how it would fit/work.

You can see how it wouldn't work in original form but cutting it and mounting it worked great.

I tacked the ends together and pulled it back off then took it to the table and welded it together. Can't weld too far on the inside as there isn't much clearance on the inside of the bracket.

On the top side I ran a bead the full length.

Bolted it back to the truss to check fitment on the axle.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #219 of 231 Old 05-19-2020, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing exciting for today. Was test fitting the tie in bracket some more and broke a bolt off in the diff. And of course I did something stupid two days ago after I was welding. I forgot to close the valve on my oxy/argon bottle. This is a new welder and I haven't gone thru the lines to make sure everything is tight with no leaks. So my newly filled bottle that I picked up 2 weeks ago and used twice is EMPTY..... DANG NAB I hate wasting money.

So I got out the drill bits and easy out with my fingers crossed I didn't bugger up the threads.

Took me a while but I did it and managed NOT to ruin the threads or anything else.

Got my tracking info from PSC and my steering box will be here Thursday along with my new transmission shifter from Wide Open Design. So once these parts arrive I'll get my steering mocked up along with the front track bar. Everything at this point is just going to be tacked in place and then hopefully I'll get my block back also. Then I can set the engine and drivetrain in place and mock up the crossmember. At that point I can start cycling the suspension and checking for clearances. Going to be a lot going on up front on this thing.
NashvilleTJ likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #220 of 231 Old 05-22-2020, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I started to tare down the front axle Wednesday and realized I couldn't find my D44 spindle nut socket. So I spent about an hour looking in every spot I could think of. But no such luck in finding it. So Thursday I went out to see if I could do it old school and use a chisel. After giving it a go I finally stopped then the local NAPA store would be opening in about 10 minutes. Drove into town and bought the RIGHT tool. It's always amazing how having the correct tool makes a job that much easier.

Took me maybe 15 minutes to get both sides done and that was only becasue of the rust. Now I HATE rust but I have no room to complain since I am the one who is playing in water and mud. Then on top of all that the Jeep has sat for 10 years which doesn't help matters at all.

Got the spindles pulled and then removed the axle shafts. These are Alloy USA shafts with Longfield u-joints. So I'll stick them in my part bin and bring them as spares when I go on runs. The RCV shafts have 30 spline outers while these shafts are a 19 spline outer. Might have to see if I can get some 30 spline outer shafts.

Then I got the knuckles removed and while doing this noticed that I had a snap ring missing from a upper ball joint.

Next was the FUN part, pressing the ball joints out of the knuckles.

With the ball joints out I could do a little bead blasting and clean up some of the rust and stuff off the knuckles.

Now I don't know about you but IMHO this is just plain PURE SexyNess….
Can't wait to have this installed and get to try it out.

The steering assist cylinder I had was OLD (2006) and PSC no longer worked or serviced that cylinder. So I had to get a new one.

I'd sent my steering gear box back to PSC to have it resealed and checked over so I was not expecting this when I opened up the box. This steering gear box looks NEW. They either really cleaned up the old one or sent me a new/rebuilt unit in place of the one I sent them.

There were a few mistakes I've got to address tomorrow but I'll deal with that. Happy to get these parts and it moves me one step closer.

I'm not sure why my pictures are showing up twice but here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails
20200521_093221.jpg   20200521_101907.jpg   20200521_103932.jpg   20200521_113534.jpg   20200521_122701.jpg  

20200521_133151.jpg   20200521_185609.jpg   20200521_185857.jpg   20200521_190134.jpg  

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #221 of 231 Old 05-22-2020, 06:28 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I like my Sidewinder a lot. I'm sure you will too.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19
post #222 of 231 Old 05-22-2020, 07:46 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

The fastest way to find a lost tool - is to buy a replacement....

Looking good Rick.
wildman4x4nut and WSS like this.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #223 of 231 Old 05-22-2020, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
The fastest way to find a lost tool - is to buy a replacement....

Looking good Rick.
Yes exactly. Still haven't found the one I know I have yet but I'm sure I will.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #224 of 231 Old 05-24-2020, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Been busy the past couple of days. Got the swaybar mounts welded to the axle. These came from Black Magic Brakes and moves them up onto the inner "C".

Welded on and ready for paint.

Today I decided I'd work on my front bumper. I needed to cut the old mounting plate for my Warn 8274 out so I could weld in a new mounting plate I got from TMR Custom. So break out the plasma cutter and have a little fun.

Here is the new mounting plate.

Cut and pry cut and pry. Then the plate was gone.

I was getting every last bit of use out of these flapper disks.

Get it all ground down so I can fit the new plate in place.

Notched the tube to fit the mounting plate in flush while trying to make it look better. Don't know if I am doing that or not.

Had to make clearance for the top 2 bolts. Hope my idea works.

Got to get this new welder figured out. Just can't seem to get the right.

NashvilleTJ likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #225 of 231 Old 05-25-2020, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I started off the morning messing with my welder trying to figure out why my welds LOOKED like CRAP. ........ After adjusting the voltage & line feed I was still looking for a WHY. My welds looked wrong and I couldn't figure out why.
Then a forum member for another forum helped me out. Said it looked like I wasn't getting shielding gas or enough of it. So I started looking at my lines and other parts. After messing with the welder hose I got gas back to the nozzle again.

Can you tell which ones had shielding gas?

Might not be GREAT but they are a lot better.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in