Wife's WK build. Sorta - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 25 Old 08-12-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
sampuppy1
1936 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo O'Neill View Post
Gday mate. Just a heads up, that turbo-actuator problem can almost certainly be sorted with a few well directed prods of a soldering iron and 2 fly farts worth of fresh solder. Ask me how i know

The hardest part from memory was aligning the bolts that go through the actuator to secure it back into position. If you are taking the old one out to put a new one in, it only takes an extra 1/2hr to pry the metal jesus-clips off your old actuator to separate the cast metal from plastic.....then just re-solder the circuit board connections on the edge where the pins for the external connectors attach. Whack the cover and clips back on, then reinstall and bolt her all back together.

Repair vs replace.....its up to you bud, but if you can think of anything....anything at all you'd prefer to spend the 140$ on and still get the exact same result, its worth considering
Cheers
Is it really that simple????? Just broken solder points?? I figured it was actual board components that failed based on the symptoms. I can solder lol

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Tyler/T-Unit

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 Old 09-03-2018, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
sampuppy1
1936 CJ2A 

Pulled the actuator today to see if resoldering all the connections will help. Everything on the board appears to be in good shape and secure, but you can never be too sure I guess.

Tyler/T-Unit
post #18 of 25 Old 09-03-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
sampuppy1
1936 CJ2A 

Actuator came off too easy. One of the bolts was loose. But the thing was still tight on the bracket. I had it out in 10 mins. Popped off the clips, soldered all the micro wire connections (non were visibly broken or loose but what the heck, it's free so why not try) and slapped the cover back on. Clips reinstalled and actuator bolted back on the turbo. Super easy process. If it works, great! If not, well I guess I'll have to cough up the dough for a new actuator

Also noticed that my actuator says G-88 which is not on the list of actuators the G-001 is said to replace.

Tyler/T-Unit

post #19 of 25 Old 09-06-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
sampuppy1
1936 CJ2A 

Negative on the solder points repair. Limped again today. Guess it's time to spend the big bucks.

Tyler/T-Unit
post #20 of 25 Old 09-28-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
sampuppy1
1936 CJ2A 

Brake controller going in today

Tyler/T-Unit
post #21 of 25 Old 10-03-2018, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
sampuppy1
1936 CJ2A 

Hooked up and pulled the trailer with it. It's still limping but it was a couple mile trip from the campground home and it only limps when you hit WOT now. Which I did not do while towing. It did downshift once on a bigger hill and WOT commanded full boost a half mile from the house. Still held 60 without a problem. Limped at the top and I coasted to the driveway.

Jeep tows wonderfully. Feels very confident, holds the road well, and has no problem tugging the camper. You can certainly tell it's there from the squat, but the little diesel mill doesn't even scoff at it. I'm very pleased with the results. I can't wait to get a new turbo actuator on it and really see how it handles the trailer on the freeway.

Tyler/T-Unit
post #22 of 25 Old 11-18-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
sampuppy1
1936 CJ2A 

Finally got the actuator. I've been driving the Jeep daily even with it limping here and there because I literally have a 3 mile commute on back roads and it does fine for the short trip. I went with the XSBoost reman unit since I haven't heard anything from anyone about finding brand new or anything on the supposed "upgraded" one I had found awhile back on eBay. Took me all of maybe a half hour to replace and that counted the quick underhood detail I did after.

Tyler/T-Unit
post #23 of 25 Old 04-09-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
sampuppy1
1936 CJ2A 

Left rear wheel bearing took a dump. Replaced with Moog this past weekend. Was not expecting a front unit bearing style hub assembly. Glad I looked how to change one, up on YouTube. I was having difficulty finding a rear axle seal. Looked up how to change that and found it has a unit bearing type assembly. All in all it went smoothly though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #24 of 25 Old 09-17-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
sampuppy1
1936 CJ2A 

Jeep limped again today. No warning or anything. So it's off to the dealer tomorrow to have some codes checked for. If we can't find any it's gonna be traded in. It's been fun but rust has found its way through the rear wheel wells and the front fenders. I'd like to keep it around for a winter beater but the wife ain't about it. It's her ride.

post #25 of 25 Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
sampuppy1
1936 CJ2A 

Officially retired from daily driver duty. We still have it but the wife got into a 14 Journey RT. Sharp little thing. Comfy too. Fully support the decision. The jeep will probably stick around for awhile as a backup/trail toy. Needs some work anyways and i can tinker with it and get my diesel fix.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in