The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 227 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3391 of 8099 Old 02-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Jrob05

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

I actually read your posts on the 6.5's this afternoon! Right now, the debate is centering on how much modification will need to be made in order to enclose whatever is selected to go in that area; the cone area and response of an enclosed 6.5" driver would be most welcome, but I know it will be a nightmare to make them fit. Enclosed 5.25's wouldn't be too bad... but it should be noted that even those aren't the "bolt in" solution of the normal 5.25" swap, and that either option is considerably easier than getting decent fill from a second set.
I'm sure you've seen these but, I have these: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_237XT52...h.html?tp=2809 with the angled 5 1/4 mount loaded with Polk DB series speakers since they are marine grade. The baffles make a noticeable difference. Not as much as MDF but noticeable. Maybe with minor cutting you could fit in some 6.5" with baffles instead of enclosure and get some acceptable results with high quality speakers and enough power pushing it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 8099 Old 02-18-2013, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Sundowner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob05 View Post
I'm sure you've seen these but, I have these: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_237XT52...h.html?tp=2809 with the angled 5 1/4 mount loaded with Polk DB series speakers since they are marine grade. The baffles make a noticeable difference. Not as much as MDF but noticeable. Maybe with minor cutting you could fit in some 6.5" with baffles instead of enclosure and get some acceptable results with high quality speakers and enough power pushing it.
I have seen those, yes; I also had an e-mail discussion with SirG on how best to kill the backwave, and his suggestion was to either use those as the base-form for an enclosure, or to just partition and polyfill the area. Also, I'll likely put a 5.25" in that space with about 100 watts going to it; that's easier and provides the frequencies I need from that location. It's looking like a 2.1.1 system, right now.

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3393 of 8099 Old 02-18-2013, 09:48 PM
YjStrangler92

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post

Reasonable I suppose. I wouldnt mind one bit as long as it wasnt a wet snow. Then again I just came from a week of the coldest weather of the season in florida and I was sweltering.

Either way, sorry for your frustrations man. I have little to no patience and would have likely imploded in a fit of rage by now.
Where in Florida?

post #3394 of 8099 Old 02-18-2013, 10:46 PM
cycleguy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner

I have seen those, yes; I also had an e-mail discussion with SirG on how best to kill the backwave, and his suggestion was to either use those as the base-form for an enclosure, or to just partition and polyfill the area. Also, I'll likely put a 5.25" in that space with about 100 watts going to it; that's easier and provides the frequencies I need from that location. It's looking like a 2.1.1 system, right now.
What's the extra .1?

'98 Wrangler Sahara - SOLD

'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3

'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI

'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system

'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future
post #3395 of 8099 Old 02-18-2013, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Sundowner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
What's the extra .1?
A 6.5" mid-range driver. In that configuration, it would be 5.25" components in the dash, a 6.5" driver in the console to fill in the gaps and add needed volume, and an 8" sub hidden elsewhere. I was going to locate the sub in the console, but that's high-value real estate that would be much better dedicated to something with some extra mid-bass; if the mid-bass unit becomes an additional component then the pair would be run as bridged mono rear fill. In that event, it would be a 3.1 system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3396 of 8099 Old 02-19-2013, 12:47 AM
ashland82391

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Pictured: Today's Jeeping.

I'll have better images uploaded when I can get some...this was just a quick snap with the cell phone. Also, for those that are interested, we checked the tire wear between the new spare and the ones that I've been running for a year; there's approximately .09" of wear in the center tread blocks and slightly less at the edges. The weight of the new tire, unmounted, is 75.8 lbs...which is pretty close to what Falken promised. This tire also mounted up and balanced beautifully, which I will hope means that they've got their balancing issues solved; this one only needed about an ounce to balance out perfectly.

I'd also like to report that I've settled out to 21.5 lbs. of air in each tire, which makes for a nice ride on the road while still maintaining decent gas mileage and tire wear. Adding the weight of the spare and 100 lbs. of gas makes the suspension perform much better; the back end felt a little more centered-up, the front wasn't as harsh and the brake dive is noticeably reduced. I wouldn't have expected that a 200-lb. weight difference would have made such an impact, but when it's all bearing down on the rear axle I suppose it's possible.

Again, better pictures will be forthcoming; I was behind from the start today because I had to fix a BAD fuel leak on the #1 injector...and when I say BAD I want you to read "severe enough to cause one to wonder how the fuel wasn't catching on fire when it was seen dripping onto a hot exhaust manifold." An O-ring had disintegrated for some reason; I had some old/extra O-rings lying around, but I'm likely going to pull all the injectors and re-ring them just so that I'll feel better about life.
Hey, question, I have the falkens in 33 and love them because they do awesome on every surface except deep snow. Do you have any experience with these in around 1 foot snow? I was running them at 10psi and could nearly climb a hill now I wonder if I should have ran something closer to 20psi.

post #3397 of 8099 Old 02-19-2013, 05:05 AM
KateKGB

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YjStrangler92 View Post
Where in Florida?
Tampa and orlando area. I almost died laughing when there was a special weather statement saying to wear gloves and a hat the day you had the freeze advisory.

'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431

We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world
post #3398 of 8099 Old 02-19-2013, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Sundowner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post

Hey, question, I have the falkens in 33 and love them because they do awesome on every surface except deep snow. Do you have any experience with these in around 1 foot snow? I was running them at 10psi and could nearly climb a hill now I wonder if I should have ran something closer to 20psi.
No, we don't get that kind of snow in my corner of the Wasteland. I'm not that experienced with driving in deep snow, but I can tell you that 10 PSI is still going to be stiffer than you expect with these tires; I'll be down to 8 or so, next time I'm in the rougher stuff... that'll get the sidewalls flexing a bit more.

post #3399 of 8099 Old 02-19-2013, 08:46 AM
Magatetzz
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No, we don't get that kind of snow in my corner of the Wasteland. I'm not that experienced with driving in deep snow, but I can tell you that 10 PSI is still going to be stiffer than you expect with these tires; I'll be down to 8 or so, next time I'm in the rougher stuff... that'll get the sidewalls flexing a bit more.
That seems like the only downside for snow, the lack of sidewall deflection. That snowshoe effect is really the only way a tire would perform better in snow. Over the year you have had them, have you noticed any more deflection from wear?

... and see what it's really going to take to build one...and then I'm going to triple that cost/time estimate and see how I feel.

Best gas milage from my Jeep to date: The time I pushed it across the lot at work.
post #3400 of 8099 Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Sundowner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magatetzz View Post
That seems like the only downside for snow, the lack of sidewall deflection. That snowshoe effect is really the only way a tire would perform better in snow. Over the year you have had them, have you noticed any more deflection from wear?
I have, yes...but still not on the order of what we'd expect from a C-range tire. Overall, they're stiff...but they also wear well and seem to take a lot of punishment, so I'd consider that a fair trade-off.

post #3401 of 8099 Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 AM
bobthetj03

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A 6.5" mid-range driver. In that configuration, it would be 5.25" components in the dash, a 6.5" driver in the console to fill in the gaps and add needed volume, and an 8" sub hidden elsewhere. I was going to locate the sub in the console, but that's high-value real estate that would be much better dedicated to something with some extra mid-bass; if the mid-bass unit becomes an additional component then the pair would be run as bridged mono rear fill. In that event, it would be a 3.1 system.
I think a 2.1.1 system would work fine. As far as room constraints are concerned, could you possibly put the 8" sub in the console and put the 6.5" midbase in a pod maybe centered under the deck? You would need far less air space to run the 6.5 midbass. Maybe partition an enclosure that would house your amps and the 6.5 neatly under the deck frame centered between the seats?

Bob's boring build:

White Jeep club member #2003

post #3402 of 8099 Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Sundowner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
I think a 2.1.1 system would work fine. As far as room constraints are concerned, could you possibly put the 8" sub in the console and put the 6.5" midbase in a pod maybe centered under the deck? You would need far less air space to run the 6.5 midbass. Maybe partition an enclosure that would house your amps and the 6.5 neatly under the deck frame centered between the seats?
The 8" being relocated to some other space is because of 1) limited console space, and 2) being two speakers down in the front. The 6.5" doesn't take much airspace and provides the needed fill up front, and the 8" only needs about .3 ft for best performance no matter where it goes...and your notion about where to locate an under-deck pod is essentially the same as mine. If there was any way to run a full-depth 8" sub in the console I would do it, but it's just going to be too tight. The amps will go under the dash, most likely...that's an easy location and keeps the big wiring pulls to a minimum length.

In unrelated news, the top shop has given me the run-around AGAIN, so I'm looking around for someone else to do the work while I wait on them to call me back AGAIN.

post #3403 of 8099 Old 02-19-2013, 11:23 AM
mbardeen
1995 XJ Cherokee 

First time poster on this thread -- must say that I've enjoyed it immensely and you seem to be a cool guy, even if you don't like pickles.

RE: Speakers -- why not use the trick that some convertibles use and stick them in the head rests of the seats?
post #3404 of 8099 Old 02-19-2013, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Sundowner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbardeen View Post
First time poster on this thread -- must say that I've enjoyed it immensely and you seem to be a cool guy, even if you don't like pickles.
I assure you that in person I'm insufferable...but I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbardeen View Post
RE: Speakers -- why not use the trick that some convertibles use and stick them in the head rests of the seats?
It's not ideal for sound, but that thought has been considered more than once.

post #3405 of 8099 Old 02-19-2013, 01:19 PM
ashland82391

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Ok thanks for the info man

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wasteland-survival-guide-engineering-greta-1344782/
Posted By For Type Date
glockforum | BoardReader This thread Refback 08-15-2012 09:17 AM
sears diehard batteries - forum communication | BoardReader This thread Refback 07-31-2012 07:50 AM