Very Slow Weekend Warrior LJ - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 05-22-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Very Slow Weekend Warrior LJ

So figured Iíd start a small thread on my new Jeep. Traded my Comanche for this 04 LJ. Got it pretty much straight up. Been wanting an LJ for a while and with my Comanche still being a big project and needing a good bit of money to be done I decided to let it go for something that didnít need as much. The plans for this Jeep are close to same I had with my old Comanche. 80% streetable 20% Off-Road. Wanted something that will take some of the daily strain my truck has to put up with and also allow me to comfortably do some lighter trail riding that is too easy for my Cherokee. But who knows it may replace the Cherokee down the road when the Cherokee finally tacos.

Now to the Jeep. It is an 04 LJ, 4.0, Auto with an unknown amount of lift and Rubi axles and lockers. Other than that pretty stock. The PO let me keep my 37Ē Creepies and rubi wheels which I feel look the best on this Jeep. It does have a little rust which I will address soon along with some other maintenance issues that are getting fixed here and there. But all in all a good Jeep.

So come along for the ride on another slow LJ build. You never know with me might actually get interesting.

I did however during a local Jeep poker forgot I wasnít in my Cherokee and bent the tie rod. But lesson learned and time to upgrade! And to explain ahead of time. The winch was trying to bend it back out enough to get me off the hill lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beepinJ likes this.

'01 XJ, 60s, Linked, coilovers & 42" Stickies
COTM July 2012, COTM November 2014
2014 Cherokee Of The YEAR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 05-23-2019, 07:27 AM
herndonbassist

I'm sure that this will be a very cool build! I'm watching a bunch of these as I sit and daydream about my next purchase.
post #3 of 34 Old 05-23-2019, 10:51 AM
Recon26

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Love the LJ. Wish I could find one at a reasonable price.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
Oh...and if you love your rig, do not buy rough country, or skyjacker anything :)

post #4 of 34 Old 05-23-2019, 10:43 PM
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

Since you are in Taylors, i'm assuming that this is the Clemson 4x4 poker run...If it is, how did you manage to trade even for that LJ...they are outrageous around us.
post #5 of 34 Old 05-24-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMountainGoat View Post
Since you are in Taylors, i'm assuming that this is the Clemson 4x4 poker run...If it is, how did you manage to trade even for that LJ...they are outrageous around us.
Yeah a lot of those pictures are from the Clemson Poker run. I was just surprised as everyone else was that someone wanted to trade. I had the MJ posted up sale for a little while very firm on my price and what I was willing to trade for. A guy from Wilson, NC hit me up through Craigslist with the LJ and wanted to trade. It wasn't the easiest deal to work out He was wanting to take the LJ back to stock axles and trade straight up with me not doing anything but wanted me to help him swap the axles which I wasn't going to do. After a few weeks of going back and forth we finally settled on the terms that I would put front and rear bumpers on the Comanche and we would trade. Which only cost me about $300. In all honesty it was about as even as you could get with a trade though. My Comanche still needed a little bit of work mainly paint and the LJ just wasn't taken care of plus has a little bit of rust. When I got it none of the suspension bolts were tight, it was missing the rear track bar bolt completely, the radio had looked like a 2 year old had installed it and a few other things just not done right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 34 Old 05-28-2019, 06:24 PM
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

Your MJ wasn't that one that was on craigslist that had been cherokee front end swapped and all kinds of other things done to it. Think I may have seen it. Anyways, the LJ looks pretty good, i'll be following the build.
post #7 of 34 Old 05-28-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMountainGoat View Post
Your MJ wasn't that one that was on craigslist that had been cherokee front end swapped and all kinds of other things done to it. Think I may have seen it. Anyways, the LJ looks pretty good, i'll be following the build.
Tan and Brown? Yeah that was mine. It was a full swap. Only thing that was actually Comanche about it was the chassis and bed. Everything else was swapped out of a Cherokee.

post #8 of 34 Old 05-29-2019, 07:29 PM
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

That was a nice 'manche, I can see how you were able to pull of that trade now.
post #9 of 34 Old 06-10-2019, 07:00 PM
Aardemae
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I love the color of your LJ! Whats the plan of attack for her? I know you said slow but you have to have something in mind of your next move!
post #10 of 34 Old 06-10-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAragecouple View Post
Love the bumper!

How are you enjoying it?

Iím loving it honestly! Nice to have something that I can actually use. Have room for things and still be able to take the top down here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardemae View Post
I love the color of your LJ! Whats the plan of attack for her? I know you said slow but you have to have something in mind of your next move!

Thanks! Iíve been enjoying the color as well. Right now itís pretty much staying the same. Iím trying to fix little tidbits at the moment. Lack of maintenance by the previous owner. I want it to be capable without worry to a comfortable driving extent. I will probably change up the suspension some. Do different rocker guards maybe. Corners, change up the front fenders and a body mounted tire carrier. Really just enjoying it as it is. And If worse comes to worse with my Cherokee it will get the tons, atlas, coilovers and 42s from it. But not really hoping for that but not opposed to it if it were to happen.

post #11 of 34 Old 08-03-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So doing some work to the LJ. Picked up some 3.5Ē coils that are going on. While Iím in there Iím going to get my bumpstops worked out. I was gonna replace my shocks for some that are more length specific but the ones I have are pretty close to what I need. So will hold off on those unless I find some better ones with the same length cheap. Iím also getting rid of the creepies and rubi wheels. I donít want to but this set just isnít a very streetable and wonít balance very well. I want to keep a 37Ē tire and there isnít a whole lot of options for a 16Ē wheel. So itís out with those and in with a 17. I was going to just go with a set of JK rubi wheels but stumbled upon a set of one of my favorite aftermarket Jeep wheels. A set of AEV Pintlers. One of them has a crack so will have to see about getting that fix if not will just one another one. Gonna try and have all of these done before the Jeep invasion in pigeon forge.

post #12 of 34 Old 08-06-2019, 04:37 PM
Aardemae
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I love the AEV Pintler wheels, those are going to be sweet!
post #13 of 34 Old 08-07-2019, 05:03 PM
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

Wish my CJ was reliable enough to go to Jeep invasion. I would have to tow it on a trailer...lol...I am in search of a JKU though. Rebuilding this CJ has made me want another newer Jeep. Gonna keep the CJ though and maybe I can trade my truck for a JKU.
post #14 of 34 Old 08-18-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So the AEVs didnít work out for right now. Two of them had leaky cracks and the repair places isnít sure if they can fix them but would try for $200 so decided to hold off on that. I picked up a factory set of JK 17s for cheap for the time being. Though I like the stock look I hate these wheels. They are too narrow and even with 1.5Ē adaptors they are still too far in and rub at full lock. But theyíll get me by. Put a set of 37x12.5 Mastercraft MXTs on them. Not a huge fan but they were pretty cheap brand new and ride pretty smoothly. I also pick up a new top last weekend as well. A Bestop trektop classic. Didnít realize it was a classic till I got it home and a little bummed I canít take the side windows out but itís quieter than my factory top and I can see through the windows so for now itíll stay. The PO had some weird switch work with the lockers so fixed that with some factory looking switches. Should be ready for the Jeep invasion now after a bolt check.

NashvilleTJ likes this.

post #15 of 34 Old 08-18-2019, 06:25 PM
Recon26

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdrummer93 View Post
So the AEVs didnít work out for right now. Two of them had leaky cracks and the repair places isnít sure if they can fix them but would try for $200 so decided to hold off on that. I picked up a factory set of JK 17s for cheap for the time being. Though I like the stock look I hate these wheels. They are too narrow and even with 1.5Ē adaptors they are still too far in and rub at full lock. But theyíll get me by. Put a set of 37x12.5 Mastercraft MXTs on them. Not a huge fan but they were pretty cheap brand new and ride pretty smoothly. I also pick up a new top last weekend as well. A Bestop trektop classic. Didnít realize it was a classic till I got it home and a little bummed I canít take the side windows out but itís quieter than my factory top and I can see through the windows so for now itíll stay. The PO had some weird switch work with the lockers so fixed that with some factory looking switches. Should be ready for the Jeep invasion now after a bolt check.

I know how to take off the windows, take off the top!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
Oh...and if you love your rig, do not buy rough country, or skyjacker anything :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in