Ultimate XJ Build - Superduty Swap, 37s, Stinger, Rocktrac Swap, BDS Long Arm - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 58 Old 03-24-2020, 10:01 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Looks really good, Enemy. I wish that I had your flex tester...

YourWorstEnemy likes this.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 58 Old 03-24-2020, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
YourWorstEnemy

Haha yes that has been the most reliable tractor I have had so far...never a problem just a new battery once in the last 7-8 years
post #48 of 58 Old 03-24-2020, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
YourWorstEnemy

Here is a short vid of the traction bar setup as well

NashvilleTJ likes this.

post #49 of 58 Old 03-24-2020, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
YourWorstEnemy

Used HD Rustys track bar. We had to shorten the bar by 3/4 inch and reweld the bung back on to get the proper adjustment range...its all in the little things :P
Attached Thumbnails
LYZT4248.jpg   PKZE3148.jpg   IMG_3434.jpg   IMG_3433.jpg  
post #50 of 58 Old 03-24-2020, 06:15 PM
abc_was_here

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Great build! I actually watched one of your youtube videos before I started putting mine together!

1992 Jeep XJ one ton build
1995 Jeep YJ 4.0L wheeler PARTED
1992 Jeep XJ 4.0L Supercharged PARTED
post #51 of 58 Old 03-26-2020, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
YourWorstEnemy

Wow thats awesome! Glad I could be of service
post #52 of 58 Old 03-26-2020, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
YourWorstEnemy

First weekend out wheeling! Caught the drivers side on the first big obstacle we tried...never doing that one again...I hate body damage...the XJ performed insanely well could not be happier

post #53 of 58 Old 03-26-2020, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
YourWorstEnemy

post #54 of 58 Old 03-26-2020, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
YourWorstEnemy

post #55 of 58 Old 03-26-2020, 05:05 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thatís a flexiní beast. Great videos.
YourWorstEnemy likes this.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #56 of 58 Old 03-26-2020, 06:51 PM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice build! I'm loving that Shaved Dana 50 front axle! What's the difference in the Shaved Dana 50, and the Jana 44, and the JK 44 axles?
post #57 of 58 Old 03-27-2020, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
YourWorstEnemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Thatís a flexiní beast. Great videos.
Thank you man! Appreciate it
post #58 of 58 Old 03-27-2020, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
YourWorstEnemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
Nice build! I'm loving that Shaved Dana 50 front axle! What's the difference in the Shaved Dana 50, and the Jana 44, and the JK 44 axles?
Thanks man!! The difference lies in the ring gear, outer shafts, U-joints, Cs and Balljoints.

The Dana 50 is a reverse rotation high pinion axle
axles tubes are massive and will never bend under a Jeep if they work under a Powerstroke Superduty
Larger 9 inch ring gear
30 spline 1.5 inch axle shafts that neck down to 1.31 inches at the differential
the 50 has the same C, knuckle, unit bearing, U joints, brakes, ball joints as the D60

A D44 is rated about 3500 ft-lbs short duration output torque, the D50 is rated at 5500 ft-lb short term duration, that's 44% stronger and only 500 ft-lbs short of a stock d60 at 6000 ft-lbs.

The only con for me is the pinion shaft diameter is the same as a 44 at 1.375 inches but we have alleviated that as much as possible by running 5.38 gears to put more torque downstream...

We run a Yukon Grizzly Locker (detroit) they also have ARB and ECTEDs available as well.

Daily driving with 37s or bigger will be light years better than a JK 44 or similar because of these 1 ton ball joints and brakes....much more longevity and durability with bigger rubber...

Something also to consider about the necked down shafts...theory since I have never broken one with 37s or 38s so far...

Just like a bolt is no stronger than the root diameter of the thread an axle is no stronger than the root diameter of the splines. After twisting and or shearing many axles off at the splines I started maching them down. This allows the axle to wind up like a long torsion bar instead of breaking. It takes the stress concentration off the splines and distributes it along the entire length. If you have been wheelin long enough you will have noticed by now that the short side axle (or U-joint or hub) typically breaks before the long side, this is because the long side can wind up farther without over-stressing it. Reducing axle diameter (although it seems counter intuitive) can make the short side act like a long side. When I shorten and respline axles I always offer it as an option. It even makes stock axles last much much longer. I have a friend that seemed to break a u-joint every time out with stock stuff in his 44, with 41" Irocks, He never seemed to get enough cash together to get alloys, So I comp cut his stocker and he has been running it two years now. The torsion bar effect also takes off the shock load, so you don't snap u-joints, stretch axle yoke ears or break ring and pinion teeth. Its like a shock absorber for your drive system.

The Dana 50 axles are definitely stronger than Dana 44s that I have broken maybe due to this torsion bar effect since the shafts are machined down at the carrier

Hope this helps put all the Dana 50 info in one place
Necromancer_tat likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in