Too poor with 2 doors (2007 JK) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-10-2020, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
garrett_dyson

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Too poor with 2 doors (2007 JK)

Back in December of 2019 I picked up my 5th Jeep that I've owned, a black 2007 automatic 2-door JK (basically bone stock) with just a smidge over 50,000 miles on the odometer. I have since added a few mods but I will write this thread in chronological order so you can see how it has progressed.

After the other projects I've had, when it comes to Jeeps the most important thing I've learned is you have to do things right the first time and that's just what I'm going to do with this one.

Being a graphic designer, I tend to be a little bit creative. If you follow this thread, you'll probably see a lot of that creativity integrated in my build. I like to put on the biggest and baddest stuff from the best manufacturers but I always have that itch to make it my own.

With that said, here are some upgrades I am planning for the JK-

-35's
-5.13 gears
-Dana 44 front axle
-Chromoly axles front and rear
-Front and rear electronic lockers
-Axle trusses
-Adams driveshafts
-VKS shorty front bumper
-EVO rear bumper fascia with D-ring mounts
-DV8 tire carrier (powdercoated gloss black)
-MC 2.5" game changer lift
-MC steering linkage
-Completely custom switch panel
-Custom air intake utilizing stock airbox
-Flowmaster Exhaust
-Add LED fog lights (didn't come stock)
-Upgrade all lighting to LED

I'm sure as time goes on I'll add things here and there that aren't on that list but its the main goals for the build.

Photo attached is how it looked the day I picked it up.

Stay tuned!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8066.jpg  

Garrett

garrettdysondesign.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-10-2020, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
garrett_dyson

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Lucky Facebook find

Was looking around for deals on facebook... came across a guy who was looking to trade his 35s straight across for stock wheels and tires. Apparently the guy didn't know what he had... but he was looking to sell the Jeep altogether anyway. I quickly messaged him and he was ready to take the deal the next weekend. Took my stock height jeep, swapped the tires and shook hands and there we have it. They're 35x12.5x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers with about 30-40% left.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/atta...894365&thumb=1

The way home I was rubbing on just about everything on the fenders.. so that night I got out the sawzall and got to work. Here's how it ended up:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/atta...894367&thumb=1
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/atta...894369&thumb=1
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/atta...894371&thumb=1

Next came the front bumper and all LED lighting in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8065.jpg  
Attached Images

Garrett

garrettdysondesign.com
post #3 of 12 Old 03-10-2020, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
garrett_dyson

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Also, if someone could fill me in on how to actually post pictures within the thread body and not have them attached at the end... that would be sweet. I'll just continue with this method for now.

Garrett

garrettdysondesign.com

post #4 of 12 Old 03-10-2020, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
garrett_dyson

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Front Bumper/Lights

I was lucky again and found a VKS shorty bumper on Extreme Terrain as an "Open Box" item because it had previously been fitted to another jeep.. obviously not for long though. It was said to have scratches but I did't see any. Sanded, primed and painted the thing gloss black and got it mounted up. It is a frame-chop bumper so it took a little more work but I love the look.

Along with the bumper, I got rid of the worthless stock headlights and went with a set of Axial LEDs with halo. Also paired them with Axial turn signals that also have a halo DRL, it looks sweet with all 4 halos running.

I had holes in the front bumper for fog lights but mine didn't come with any, so I got some cheap LED ones for $35 on Amazon. I figure if they go bad after a while, they're so cheap I'll just get another pair.

These mods significantly changed the look of my JK and the new headlights are night and day (lol) compared to the old ones. Here's how the front exterior currently looks with everything done. Up next, I'll talk about the custom switch panel I made to turn on the lights.
Attached Images

Garrett

garrettdysondesign.com
post #5 of 12 Old 03-10-2020, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
garrett_dyson

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Custom Switch Panel

I wanted to make a custom switch panel to run my aux lights and any other future accessories. After many concepts I decided to utilize the space between the center air vents since I don't have power windows. I later decided I wanted to have the labels on the switches illuminated at night so I found out how to tap into the dash illumination wire. The LED i installed comes on whenever I turn the parking/headlights on and also dims with the dash lights so that's a cool feature. I'll just attach some of the photos below that show the process as well as the finished product.
Attached Images

Garrett

garrettdysondesign.com
post #6 of 12 Old 03-10-2020, 11:18 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett_dyson View Post
Also, if someone could fill me in on how to actually post pictures within the thread body and not have them attached at the end... that would be sweet. I'll just continue with this method for now.
Check here > Attaching Images From Your Computer.
Good luck with the jeep!

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 12 Old 03-11-2020, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
garrett_dyson

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks for the tip, chris87xj! And thanks for the good luck, it always comes in handy. Haha!

Garrett

garrettdysondesign.com
post #8 of 12 Old 03-12-2020, 10:32 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thatís pretty cool work on the switch panel. Nicely done.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #9 of 12 Old 03-12-2020, 11:12 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Not sure how far you got on the front axle or gears lockers etc. But if you go say a Jkr D44 swap. This is from seeing it on trails not interweb i know i read it and there for it must be true. 98% of truss on these will do 98% of nothing to prevent the one issue everyone is trying to fix. The long side tube breaking. We have had two do this in our club on trails we run. One was totally stock on 35s, the other was Artic trussed ( i like artic stuff just not this design) on 37s. Both broke in same place. Right under the spring pad. Since most all truss end at the spring perch. In effect it does nothing but look cool, light light bars etc. Do to these REAL life experiences on real trails that you need 35+ locked. On our JKR I did the weld in sleeves. Its a rather simple job if you can weld and do the R&R of the front axle. at the same time i did the C's< not that i think these are that much needed as well. Unless you take flight, i do at times when we try to get to the trails fast long desert roads to get to short hard trails. that is how most will ever bend a C getting air time or in crash. Crash it wont help any way.

the sleeve puts more iron where it needs it under the spring pad, it works. cost less. I have read the arguments here about its not as good as 1/2+ tubes*. yes true but its good enough and still way better then the truss alone. *Fallacy arguments. You can do both, i see no reason my self. I have beat on the d44 on 37s sleeved with out issue. well had two issues i ripped the trackbar mount off few weeks ago on the front axle. replaced that with the artic High mount track bar. its a weld on again very simple welding job. broke a u joint a few years ago on a Cromo axle. again simple fix. I carry stock axles on the trail for trail repairs if needed.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #10 of 12 Old 03-12-2020, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
garrett_dyson

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Thatís pretty cool work on the switch panel. Nicely done.
Thanks a ton! I take pride in doing things like this because no one else has one like it. Maybe in the same location but it wont look like mine or most likely have the illumination function. It's by no means perfect, i did it all by hand so it has some imperfections. But I love it and I think that's what it's all about!
post #11 of 12 Old 03-12-2020, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
garrett_dyson

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Not sure how far you got on the front axle or gears lockers etc. But if you go say a Jkr D44 swap. This is from seeing it on trails not interweb i know i read it and there for it must be true. 98% of truss on these will do 98% of nothing to prevent the one issue everyone is trying to fix. The long side tube breaking. We have had two do this in our club on trails we run. One was totally stock on 35s, the other was Artic trussed ( i like artic stuff just not this design) on 37s. Both broke in same place. Right under the spring pad. Since most all truss end at the spring perch. In effect it does nothing but look cool, light light bars etc. Do to these REAL life experiences on real trails that you need 35+ locked. On our JKR I did the weld in sleeves. Its a rather simple job if you can weld and do the R&R of the front axle. at the same time i did the C's< not that i think these are that much needed as well. Unless you take flight, i do at times when we try to get to the trails fast long desert roads to get to short hard trails. that is how most will ever bend a C getting air time or in crash. Crash it wont help any way.

the sleeve puts more iron where it needs it under the spring pad, it works. cost less. I have read the arguments here about its not as good as 1/2+ tubes*. yes true but its good enough and still way better then the truss alone. *Fallacy arguments. You can do both, i see no reason my self. I have beat on the d44 on 37s sleeved with out issue. well had two issues i ripped the trackbar mount off few weeks ago on the front axle. replaced that with the artic High mount track bar. its a weld on again very simple welding job. broke a u joint a few years ago on a Cromo axle. again simple fix. I carry stock axles on the trail for trail repairs if needed.
Thanks for the insight! I have looked into sleeves as well. Seems like just about every other mod on a Jeep, some say it's better and some say it's worse. Regardless I'll definitely do the Cs and Chromos, after that I'll just see what I want to do. Have to actually get a D44 first, still running a D30 front After looking at my build sheet from Jeep, I did get lucky and the original owner who ordered the Jeep got an optional 4.10 ratio instead of the stock 3.73 or whatever. Helps a bit with the 35s but will still go to 4.56 or 5.13 eventually.

Garrett

garrettdysondesign.com
post #12 of 12 Old 03-12-2020, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
garrett_dyson

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
No more hood flutter

Just a small update, got some new hood latches. Love the look of these and more importantly, my hood doesn't want to fly up into the windshield when I pass a semi.
Attached Images

Garrett

garrettdysondesign.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in