Tater2 Take Two - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 49 Old 01-19-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
TaterTott
1991 XJ Cherokee 

still have a some working to do in the rear, i think im going to end up frenching the upper coil bucket into the frame.. sits about 3 to 4" high in the rear.. but here's how the truss and lowers came out

this is the area that will get frenched with the same 6" .250 wall DOM i used for the lower buckets..

on a different note.. something did get done today..

Nate Goodwin

"Tater2" - '91 2 door XJ. 4.0, AW4, NP231/Dana 300 Doubler, GM 60/70HD, 40" IROKs on H1s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 49 Old 01-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Sgt.Fuzz

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Badass dude. Looking forward to this.
x2.

My build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 49 Old 01-19-2011, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
TaterTott
1991 XJ Cherokee 

got some more plating done, still have a little more to do.. but got rid of one end of my puke track bar mounts..

disgusting track bar mount #1

still not quite done but i needed to be able to move it around last night before i rolled up shop..

should this all flattened out by tonight

annnd disgusting track bar mount #2

Nate Goodwin

"Tater2" - '91 2 door XJ. 4.0, AW4, NP231/Dana 300 Doubler, GM 60/70HD, 40" IROKs on H1s

post #19 of 49 Old 01-19-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
TaterTott
1991 XJ Cherokee 

threw the stock springs in and raised it up 2" with the lift an this' where it landed

Nate Goodwin

post #20 of 49 Old 01-19-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
TaterTott
1991 XJ Cherokee 

the track bar itself is still temporary but the mounts are done.. the frame mount needs to move back about an inch an a half still..

you cant really see it, but its about about -5 degrees with a couple more inches till full bump..

like i said, a couple more inches to go till full bump.. but here's how it sits with stock XJ 4.0 coils... a set of 2" coils would be perfect..

headed back out, gunna french those rear coils into the frame

Nate Goodwin

post #21 of 49 Old 01-19-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
TaterTott
1991 XJ Cherokee 

started on the cage today, got a large chunk of that done.. also been workin on lots of other stuff, mostly on the rear end.. of which is going to change........ again.. :shaking:

rear ride height is slowly getting down to where i want it, still a couple inches proud.. fuel tank, a little more tube, and possibly a back seat atta get it down where i want it..

reworked the LCA mounts.. but, it's getting moved tomorrow..

annnnnd the large box of parts required to finish this beezee..

Nate Goodwin

post #22 of 49 Old 01-19-2011, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
TaterTott
1991 XJ Cherokee 

next step is to get the t case and front driveshaft in so i can build a floor around it.. so.. started back on that project..

went to the wrecking yard seeking a 23 spline 231 planetary.. and my local U-Pull it yard contained 1 XJ.. packin a 242..

research shows, that a 231D is the same case but supposedly packed a 6 gear planetary, like such found in a 241, and they're found in later model dakota's and durango's.. got this case from an '89 Dakota with the V6 and an automatic trans, annndd god loves me enough to kindly remove it and neatly place it underneath a chunk of carpet in bed..

brought it home, split the case, and shoved it on the back of the trans to check fitup.. splines matched up, bolt pattern matched up but wouldn't push all the way on.. after messin around with that for about 20min.. found the tailshaft of the tranny didn't have enough splines on it to couple up.. figured because the tcase is an '89 and the tranny is '91 and newer ('91 and newer AW4's have longer tailshafts) SOOO! pulled the planetary out of the 231 D to find it only had 3 gears but we'll get to that later..

chucked it up in the lathe and very precisely removed 3/4"..

after we got it to fit all nice an tight like.. removed the 3 gears from the 231 J planetary and installed them in the 231 D..

each gear had bout 50 needle bearings that fall out an go everywhere but on the bench when you pull um out, so some grease held everything in place while we drove the pins into the 231 D..

nice an easy, keepin everything in place with a small screwdriver, take your time here.. three steel washers and two plastic thrust washers are fragile, i broke a few..

wa-la.. 6 gear 231 planetary.. for freee..

Nate Goodwin

post #23 of 49 Old 01-19-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
TaterTott
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure if I've covered this yet, but I decided to run a 231/300 doubler... Duffy at D&D machine makes tons of doubler setups for many different cases, all in-house, very high quality product and also is readily available on his cell phone at any time.. Great guy to do business with..

Thanks Duffy.

Got this kit from him for $515 shipped.. which is extremely cheap considering what your getting..

my options:

1:
regear both axles to 7.17 and flip the 231 = $1200 and very very small pinions and a very weak case and only a 109.2:1 crawl ratio

2:
leave the 4.10s in the axles and do a 231/300 doubler = $615 and a way strong case with front dig capabilities, way stronger pinions, and a 163.6:1 crawl ratio

all put together and installed..

Nate Goodwin

post #24 of 49 Old 01-19-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
TaterTott
1991 XJ Cherokee 

made a list of everything i need to finish this thing, and well........ i thought i was almost done....

floor
seat mounts
shifters
belts
interior B pillar
mount orbital, steering ram, and cooler for full hydro
brakes
driveshafts
tranny mount
lincoln lock front and reaf diffs
tail lights
battery tray
front bumper and winch
paint cage and all suspension
bead locks and rim stiffeners
redo rear 4 link geometry
mount shocks front and rear
make engine run
air intake
exhaust
front inner fenders
on board air
mount fuel tank
bump stops
fill trans, cases, and diffs (fluids)
trim door bottoms and make removable
skid plate
boat sides
rear inner fenders
fuel lines
and a load of welding...

Nate Goodwin

post #25 of 49 Old 01-19-2011, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
TaterTott
1991 XJ Cherokee 

first, had to cut this mount off and move it to the left about 2inches so i could center the tailshaft and get a shifter cable on the 231

which lead to this..

which then lead to this.....

the suspension wasn't working quite right, so i cut the lower control arm mounts off and made new ones... i shortened up and dropped the lower control arms about an inch both ways..

then i got started on this..

bed time......

EDIT: oh and i got the orbital valve mount built and forgot to take a picture of it....

Nate Goodwin

post #26 of 49 Old 01-19-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
TaterTott
1991 XJ Cherokee 

been workin on gettin the exhast done the last couple days... finally buttoned it up tonight.. some other stuff got started or finished in the mean time too.. i redid the rear suspension bracketry on the axle... now the pinion points at the tcase output at all times and i dont have a 3% antisquat..

i also started the floor but didn't get far, started the driver side boat side so i could get exhaust in, and also started the driver side inner fender so i could finish the exhaust..

thats it for the exhaust.. i'll try and get a video on here so you guys can hear it i guess... here's some more pics..

rear axle

floor.......ish

Nate Goodwin

post #27 of 49 Old 01-19-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
TaterTott
1991 XJ Cherokee 

well lets check some things off this list.... red means done

floor
seat mounts
shifters
belts
interior B pillar
mount orbital, steering ram, and cooler for full hydro
brakes
driveshafts (front/rear)
tranny mount
lincoln lock front and reaf diffs
tail lights
battery tray
front bumper and winch
paint cage and all suspension
bead locks and rim stiffeners
redo rear 4 link geometry
mount shocks front and rear
make engine run
air intake
exhaust
front inner fenders (left/right)
on board air
mount fuel tank
bump stops
fill trans, cases, and diffs (fluids)
trim door bottoms and make removable
skid plate
boat sides (left/right) only the le gets to be red cuz the left one needs to be skinned and it'll be done
rear inner fenders (left/right)same with this.. need to finish the top
fuel lines
and a load of welding...

Nate Goodwin

post #28 of 49 Old 01-19-2011, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
TaterTott
1991 XJ Cherokee 

got the steering done minus the cooler.. here's a few pics i took before it was completely done..

got this all welded on.. updated pics to come..

making bungs for the new tierod

then got the orbital mount burnt on..

had to improvise on the splined shaft... made this one from 7/16" hex shaft and a die grinder with a 3" cut off wheel..

i used the stock pressure line, i cut the end off and put the style fittings i am using.. came out pretty clean..

the return line will change soon... im adding a fatty cooler as soon as i get some more fittings and line..

this also doesn't look like this anymore, the left and right lines in this pic were temporary for mock up..

more pics tomorrow ish....

Nate Goodwin

post #29 of 49 Old 01-19-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
TaterTott
1991 XJ Cherokee 

got a **** load done today considering how many hours i actually worked on it... we got absolutely **** on last night and today so i spent the morning moving snow..

but i went to the wrecking yard to get inner fenders so i'd have all the **** to latch the hood and mount the radiator crossmember.. so got those and proceeded to cut about 80% of them off.. came out with this..

here's the updated steering pics...

and the cooler i'll be putting on the steering system... (that's where it will be located... obviously more permanent, i just set it there for size comparison..)

Nate Goodwin

post #30 of 49 Old 01-19-2011, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
TaterTott
1991 XJ Cherokee 

also got the spring perches/bump stop pads on

looks all put back together now

tomorrow is dedicated to getting the trailer painted wired lighted and decked.... pics to follow....

Nate Goodwin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in