Stumpfarming's 73' CJ5 Build - Page 85 - JeepForum.com
 505Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1261 of 1365 Old 02-16-2021, 04:40 PM
GraySkies
1966 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpfarming View Post
Thank you! Good info. Perfectly describes my issue. For $13.00 itís a no-brainer. Progressive linkage ordered!
I don't have any experience with the Sniper, but from that Holley forum thread it seemed like there might also be a firmware update that goes along with the progressive linkage, to help tame the issue. Not sure about that, but might be worth checking out.

Stumpfarming likes this.

Michael
Western Washington
'66 CJ5 under construction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1365 Old 02-16-2021, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
I don't have any experience with the Sniper, but from that Holley forum thread it seemed like there might also be a firmware update that goes along with the progressive linkage, to help tame the issue. Not sure about that, but might be worth checking out.
I read through the instructions this morning. They say that older versions (shipped prior to March 2018) may need an update before adding the progressive linkage. For me, it looks pretty simple:

"To complete the ECU configuration, use the handheld LCD display and navigate to Tuning > System > Sniper Setup and set the following parameters:

1. Progressive TBI Linkage: "Enabled"
2. Primary/Secondary TPS Switch: TPS percent identified in step 2, above. (approximately 40% based on TPS sensor position measured after installing the new linkage)

At this point you are ready to enjoy the new, more manageable response of your progressive Sniper EFI System Throttle body linkage!"

In the video link you shared earlier, the guy did a bit more manipulation using his PC to adjust the tune. That made me nervous, so I had to look it up this morning. Based on what I read, I should be able to do it all from the handheld. I'm hoping the part will be here later this week. It's shipping from Florida today.
GraySkies likes this.

My '74 CJ5 build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1263 of 1365 Old 02-18-2021, 12:45 PM
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Holy smokes look at all these posts. Wow I really been missing out! So glad to see you got a Sniper system. Sorry it hasn't been plug and play, but I know you and that will have no bearing on the final outcome. Once you get the bugs worked out it should be invisible and something you can forget about. Wow Grayskies, you been very helpful to his plight. Good on ya.
Stumpfarming likes this.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1264 of 1365 Old 02-18-2021, 12:49 PM
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGERMAN View Post
Yeah think the same way most of the time, why not buy the tool to make the parts rather then spend that money on parts. Then I can make the parts when ever I want, I learn something new, and I can help friends out or sell some parts later on.
I think Iím going to try and get the Rogue Fab bender. I think it will orient the pipe when Iím bending in a way that it will be easier to use in a small space. And lots of people love it.
I just want you to know I love your signature line. True words bud and something I will always try to remember.
Stumpfarming likes this.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
post #1265 of 1365 Old 02-18-2021, 02:33 PM
GraySkies
1966 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPPEDITOVER View Post
Wow Grayskies, you been very helpful to his plight. Good on ya.
I've been well compensated in ride-along time.
Stumpfarming likes this.

Michael
Western Washington
'66 CJ5 under construction
post #1266 of 1365 Old 02-18-2021, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Holy smokes look at all these posts. Wow I really been missing out! So glad to see you got a Sniper system. Sorry it hasn't been plug and play, but I know you and that will have no bearing on the final outcome. Once you get the bugs worked out it should be invisible and something you can forget about. Wow Grayskies, you been very helpful to his plight. Good on ya.
Glad to hear from you and know that you're still checking in from time to time! Slow and steady she goes.....
TIPPEDITOVER likes this.

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #1267 of 1365 Old 02-19-2021, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

Gotta love it when you drive the CJ to work and the guy in the plumbing van that you pass makes a point of leaning out his window and giving you a big thumbs-up! (And no, I did not cut him off; and yes, it was indeed a "thumbs-up").
NashvilleTJ likes this.

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #1268 of 1365 Old 02-20-2021, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

The progressive throttle linkage came in today. It took me longer to pull the pin and remove the old linkage than it did to install the new one and make the changes to the software. The street manners are much better, as the second half of the carburetor will not engage now until the throttle position sensor hits 44%. Honestly, it’s not quite as much fun to drive now on the street , but certainly much safer and better suited to off road situations. If I really wanted to get technical there is an adjustable linkage available, but I think this will suffice for now. Although, having it kick in at 22% instead could be fun and a good compromise.......

I also addressed my mild driveline vibration by adding shims under the rear perches. This helped roll my pinion angle up a bit towards the t-case output shaft better. It dropped some when I went to taller springs with a different arch. I’m not too keen on using shims, but it was the simplest fix for now (and I already had them leftover from when I adjusted the front). It handles smoothly on the highway now at all speeds........well, smooth for a CJ anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
1C1AB953-E0A9-4BF7-A42C-CE426EB62F0E_1613886084328.jpg   40A305D9-0ECF-4E2D-8416-D3B1DEBB1F04_1613886232386.jpg  

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #1269 of 1365 Old 02-27-2021, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

I think I located the coolant leak.....
Attached Thumbnails
D77EDFDF-9234-46E6-B7E7-DB849BBC161E_1614472441411.jpg  
NashvilleTJ and GraySkies like this.

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #1270 of 1365 Old 02-28-2021, 09:27 AM
PNWGERMAN
1982 DJ 

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGERMAN View Post
Yeah think the same way most of the time, why not buy the tool to make the parts rather then spend that money on parts. Then I can make the parts when ever I want, I learn something new, and I can help friends out or sell some parts later on.
I think I’m going to try and get the Rogue Fab bender. I think it will orient the pipe when I’m bending in a way that it will be easier to use in a small space. And lots of people love it.
I just want you to know I love your signature line. True words bud and something I will always try to remember.
Thanks 😊
post #1271 of 1365 Old 02-28-2021, 12:36 PM
Jparadise81

Great build
Stumpfarming likes this.
post #1272 of 1365 Old 03-01-2021, 09:32 PM
RatPatrol75

Please share some of the photos of your Jeep when you have time. I briefly reviewed most of this build while doing research myself for swapping a V6 to V8. I see you ended up going with the T18, right? I recently purchased a 1975 CJ5 and from your profile picture I like what I see. Building a 72-75 your options for certain parts are limited so I'm looking for ideas. Thanks for sharing your build!
Stumpfarming likes this.
post #1273 of 1365 Old 03-01-2021, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatPatrol75 View Post
Please share some of the photos of your Jeep when you have time. I briefly reviewed most of this build while doing research myself for swapping a V6 to V8. I see you ended up going with the T18, right? I recently purchased a 1975 CJ5 and from your profile picture I like what I see. Building a 72-75 your options for certain parts are limited so I'm looking for ideas. Thanks for sharing your build!
Most everything is here on this build thread. Is there anything specific you’re interested in seeing? Yep, it’s a T18 from a 1979 CJ (Found on Craigslist). Yeah, one of the challenges is finding intermediate specific parts where you need them. I upgraded some parts for that reason. The steering column was probably the biggest wall I ran into in that regard. The frame being narrow in the rear also made it challenging for B & C pillar tie-ins and longer shock mounts. The 1” body lift really helped. Let me know if you have specific questions.
Attached Thumbnails
4DD63898-0E52-4986-8939-ED292D455035_1614664586287.jpg  
NashvilleTJ likes this.

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #1274 of 1365 Old 03-09-2021, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

Bad news for me. I think I have a parasitic draw somewhere, possibly related to the EFI. Had a slow start over the weekend, and a high idle issue that I thought I resolved. Tonight the Battery was stone cold dead. Jumped it and took it for a short drive. It would not idle below 1800 RPM, my guess in response somehow to the electrical issue, whatever it may be.

After the drive the battery was down to 7 volts. I Disconnected it and have it on the charger tonight. Will see tomorrow if it will hold a charge. If so, then next I will be hunting down some wires. Called my neighbor to help me trace things tomorrow with his better knowledge of circuits.

Always something right before a trip. Was planning to make a local run later this week, then another Moab run in two weeks. : Although more expensive, I’m kinda hoping it’s as simple as a bad battery.

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #1275 of 1365 Old 03-10-2021, 09:46 AM
PNWGERMAN
1982 DJ 

Garage
Did you say that you took it for a drive and the battery was still down to 7 volts? Even if you have a draw some where the alternator should still be charging your battery up to full charge during a drive (depending on length of drive). So if that’s the case I’d check the alternator and related wires.
I check that you have a few good ground connections from your block to your chassis. Bad grounding can cause a few different and annoying issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in