Stumpfarming's 73' CJ5 Build - Page 84 - JeepForum.com
 505Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1246 of 1365 Old 02-11-2021, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

I just got off the phone with a different Holley tech (the other guy must have gone home). He was common sense and said, “Well, it seems to me there is a problem with the Sniper unit. It sounds like you’ve done your due diligence, and I’m going to authorize a return. Would you like to ship it to us directly, or would you prefer to return it through your local dealer?”

Me: “I’ll return it through my local dealer, thank you.....”

It’s odd that a step backward can be a step forward.

daddyjeep87 likes this.

My '74 CJ5 build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1247 of 1365 Old 02-12-2021, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

.....and another step backward. I called the local parts store last night so that I could have a replacement on the truck this morning. The truck hadn't arrived yet when I got there at 7:30. I made a joke with the guy at the counter about "The way this project is going it's probably in the ditch....." Two minutes later he gets a call from the warehouse. Apparently the truck left some boxes behind and my replacement Sniper was one of them. The warehouse is in Tacoma, 2 hours away.

......and I didn't mention that we have a snow storm coming tonight too, so the ditch is still a possibility for tomorrow.

On a positive note, this experience has granted me the opportunity to learn more about the Sniper system than I otherwise would have, and I also now better understand how my ignition system works. A silver lining, I guess. It's all good. Disappointing, but getting upset won't get it fixed any faster.

My '74 CJ5 build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1248 of 1365 Old 02-13-2021, 08:18 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well, at least you didn’t have to order it from Dynatrac - you’d be waiting for a month!
'92 vegas YJ and Stumpfarming like this.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #1249 of 1365 Old 02-13-2021, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Well, at least you didn’t have to order it from Dynatrac - you’d be waiting for a month!
Yeah, I’ve been following your build. I actually thought about your predicament when I was working through mine.

Good news for me is that the parts truck actually didn’t forget it at the warehouse, they were just running about 6 hours behind. My replacement came in yesterday afternoon and I finished up install about midnight. Adjusted timing and idle this am, then took for a drive (we got about 6” of snow last night).

So far, so good! I have about 30 miles on it so far. My biggest adjustment is that I only use about 10-15% of the throttle for “normal” driving, so it takes getting used to using a lot less right foot than before.

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #1250 of 1365 Old 02-13-2021, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

Some short clips. Was really just interested in driving it, so the videos aren’t much, sorry. Rolling out the driveway in 2wd. The rear posi certainly keeps it interesting.... We put it in 4wd on the county road to help it mind it’s manners better.

https://youtu.be/WHO4j9Ce5kA
https://youtu.be/qfQbE_ccxiQ
Fourtrail likes this.

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #1251 of 1365 Old 02-13-2021, 11:18 PM
GraySkies
1966 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpfarming View Post
Some short clips. Was really just interested in driving it, so the videos aren’t much, sorry. Rolling out the driveway in 2wd. The rear posi certainly keeps it interesting.... We put it in 4wd on the county road to help it mind it’s manners better.

https://youtu.be/WHO4j9Ce5kA
https://youtu.be/qfQbE_ccxiQ
I can't believe how awesome that thing sounds now! Idling that smooth, with that much power, will make crawling over stuff without even touching the gas a slam dunk now!

You could, potentially, change the ratio of the gas pedal travel to be a little slower, or perhaps even rig up some kind of progressive arrangement for the throttle linkage, if it ends up being too touchy to get used to.
Stumpfarming likes this.

Michael
Western Washington
'66 CJ5 under construction
post #1252 of 1365 Old 02-14-2021, 04:22 AM
PNWGERMAN

1982 DJ 

Garage
Looks and sounds great! Happy that all worked out for you. What roll cage did you get for your CJ, is it a pre fab or something custom?

“Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence.”
post #1253 of 1365 Old 02-14-2021, 07:17 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGERMAN View Post
Looks and sounds great! Happy that all worked out for you. What roll cage did you get for your CJ, is it a pre fab or something custom?

I don’t think Stump knows the definition of prefab...
Stumpfarming likes this.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #1254 of 1365 Old 02-14-2021, 10:21 AM
PNWGERMAN

1982 DJ 

Garage
Quote:

AAHHAA! I found it some where around page 60. I am contemplating buying a tube bender instead of bolting something in. Might cost me a bit more but I love learning new things, kinda why I like to build stuff my self.
NashvilleTJ and GraySkies like this.

post #1255 of 1365 Old 02-14-2021, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

Edit: Forgot to quote Grayskies here.

Yeah, it’s sounds awesome! The video does not do it justice. Will try to get a better video when conditions are not so dicey. Definitely a handful in 2wd in slick conditions. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/JeepForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]

Thanks for the heads-up on recalibrating the pedal. Something I need to research. Was wondering about that after My last post yesterday. It’s actually a bit of a challenge starting out from a stoplight. Haha. Not a lot of throttle needed, yet still throttle needed not to kill it, if you know what I mean. But certainly something I’m willing to live with for now. I never thought it would be such a night & day difference. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/JeepForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #1256 of 1365 Old 02-14-2021, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGERMAN View Post
Quote:

AAHHAA! I found it some where around page 60. I am contemplating buying a tube bender instead of bolting something in. Might cost me a bit more but I love learning new things, kinda why I like to build stuff my self.
I thought about buying a pre-fab kit for my cage, but after researching things I figured I could buy a bender and do it myself for roughly the same cost, and still have the bender for making other critical components such as tranny crossmember, roll cage tie-ins, shock mounts, and winch mount.

I bought the Woodward Fab bender. It’s very similar in design to the highly popular JD2 Bender, but a few hundred dollars less at the time I bought mine. I got it with the 1 3/4” 90 degree die (6” radius) for my cage. The 6” radius worked fine for what I did. I also bought a 1.25” die, which is useful for handlebars and smaller, less structural pieces. If I do another project in the future I might buy a 1.5” 180 degree die, but so far I have managed to get by pretty well with what I have.
NashvilleTJ likes this.

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #1257 of 1365 Old 02-14-2021, 09:59 PM
GraySkies
1966 CJ5 

Hey Stump,

I found a couple things you should take a look at:

This one includes details:

https://forums.holley.com/showthread...I-WAAAY-Better
Stumpfarming likes this.

Michael
Western Washington
'66 CJ5 under construction
post #1258 of 1365 Old 02-15-2021, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
Thank you! Good info. Perfectly describes my issue. For $13.00 it’s a no-brainer. Progressive linkage ordered!

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #1259 of 1365 Old 02-15-2021, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

And I’ve been learning a lot about crank case pressure and PCV systems tonight too. I’m guessing this explains the excessive oil I have spewing out the valve cover vent after a longer drive. After some research I think I now have it vented correctly. I have a PCV valve on driver side running to the 3/8” vacuum port on the back of the Sniper. I replaced the fill cap on the passenger side with the valve cover vent I previously had on the driver side. Based on diagrams I have seen, this should provide for proper crankcase ventilation and vacuum, and hopefully help with the oil leakage that has shown up since the Sniper was installed. I’m assuming I have a bit higher crank case pressure than before [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/JeepForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]

.....now to solve the mystery of the coolant found on the intake manifold.
Attached Thumbnails
80553F5D-872A-4C06-8F00-134C8F65E643_1613456668926.jpg   957D9FC7-1540-41D4-A870-C27DBFF2C792_1613456750385.jpg   58A3C997-071B-4778-B690-8D3C9C6F668F_1613456870515.jpg  

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #1260 of 1365 Old 02-16-2021, 01:33 PM
PNWGERMAN

1982 DJ 

Garage
Yeah think the same way most of the time, why not buy the tool to make the parts rather then spend that money on parts. Then I can make the parts when ever I want, I learn something new, and I can help friends out or sell some parts later on.
I think I’m going to try and get the Rogue Fab bender. I think it will orient the pipe when I’m bending in a way that it will be easier to use in a small space. And lots of people love it.
TIPPEDITOVER likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in