Stumpfarming's 73' CJ5 Build - Page 83 - JeepForum.com
 505Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1231 of 1365 Old 02-04-2021, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

I didn’t know what I was missing! Simply put, that has to be the best upgrade I have made thus far! When I first built the Jeep, I thought I wanted to teach my daughters to drive it, but now I’m not so sure! Holy Crap! It’s got some go power! I still have some things to dial in and need to allow it some time to “self-learn,” but after just a short drive I am completely blown away. I’m gonna have to re-learn a few things and adjust some habits. It does not take much of the skinny pedal to feel the rear-end do what it’s designed to do. Not what I was expecting. I would have videoed the first drive, but I needed both hands.... haha! Here’s my first startup (after I realized I had a wire unplugged )

https://youtu.be/dh5QXoJu6v0

NashvilleTJ and GraySkies like this.

My '74 CJ5 build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1365 Old 02-05-2021, 06:22 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Good deal. Modern fuel injection certainly is a game changer.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1233 of 1365 Old 02-05-2021, 06:57 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thatís awesome, Stump. Now itís time for a burnout video for sure!

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #1234 of 1365 Old 02-05-2021, 05:39 PM
PNWGERMAN
1982 DJ 

Garage
Very cool build. Id love to see and hear it run!
post #1235 of 1365 Old 02-06-2021, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

Bad news. Took the Jeep for a longer drive today, ironically, to the auto parts store. Apparently I had a loose distributor cap. It didn’t end well.... :
Attached Thumbnails
33B78C45-2914-4D02-868B-0F78ACB3003A_1612672098049.jpg  

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #1236 of 1365 Old 02-06-2021, 11:45 PM
GraySkies
1966 CJ5 

Sorry you had a little setback there, but watching your video, I was also shocked at how incredibly smooth the idle was when you first started it up!

Nice work!

Now you have enough power to break some stuff...

Michael
Western Washington
'66 CJ5 under construction
post #1237 of 1365 Old 02-07-2021, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
Sorry you had a little setback there, but watching your video, I was also shocked at how incredibly smooth the idle was when you first started it up!

Nice work!

Now you have enough power to break some stuff... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/JeepForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png[/IMG]
Yep, now I am really glad that I did the axle upgrade. Can see how things might break easier without that pedal lag. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/JeepForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]

I must have bumped the distributor when I was installing the throttle body and never noticed. It’s an MSD HEI that has those “L” hooks rather than screws holding the cap on. Really bummed. Had just gotten done setting the idle and was driving it a bit to “learn” before playing some with it. Drove to the parts store to get a vent cap for the valve cover. When I came out it wouldn’t start. Rotor spin must have kept the cap balanced while I drove.

I got a new cap & rotor, then went back again for a new coil. Now gotta go back again for new interior module (basically rebuilding entire distributor), which I hope will fix the problem. Coil smelled like burnt plastic when we pulled it (and had a burnt ooze out the side). No RPM signal is getting to the tach or the Sniper computer. Tested all the circuits and they’re good, so has to be in the distributor. Thankful to my neighbor who is a diesel mechanic for helping me diagnose (even though it’s been 20 years since he has worked on a gas motor) He understands the electrical and how to troubleshoot it better than me. Have I mentioned how much I am learning on this project......
NashvilleTJ and GraySkies like this.

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #1238 of 1365 Old 02-08-2021, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGERMAN View Post
Very cool build. Id love to see and hear it run!
Thanks! Yeah, I really want to see and hear it run too!

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #1239 of 1365 Old 02-09-2021, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

I am at a complete loss of what to do... I have no spark when I crank the motor (checked at the plugs). It’s an MSD Streetfire HEI Distributor. I have replaced the rotor, cap, coil, and inside module. Still no spark. What else could it be? About ready to replace the entire distributor (I’ve already spent enough money to have done that) but was trying to avoid stabbing a new one and resetting the timing.

Any ideas? Am I missing something (Clearly I am.....)?

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #1240 of 1365 Old 02-10-2021, 06:50 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Any chance you fried the Sniper controller when you fried the distributor?

Yes, I know that would be bad.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #1241 of 1365 Old 02-10-2021, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Any chance you fried the Sniper controller when you fried the distributor?

Yes, I know that would be bad.
I called Holley. The only thing the Sniper computer does is receive an RPM signal from the distributor, then adjust fuel/ratio from that. He said it was highly unlikely that the Sniper computer would be damaged.

Given that the distributor is driven by the camshaft, the rotor spins (I checked), and I am not getting spark at the plugs, it has got to be the distributor. The only thing I have not replaced is the pick-up that the
Module plugs into. Will also verify that I got the right coil. Next step
is to buy a new distributor.......

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #1242 of 1365 Old 02-10-2021, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpfarming View Post
I called Holley. The only thing the Sniper computer does is receive an RPM signal from the distributor, then adjust fuel/ratio from that. He said it was highly unlikely that the Sniper computer would be damaged.

Given that the distributor is driven by the camshaft, the rotor spins (I checked), and I am not getting spark at the plugs, it has got to be the distributor. The only thing I have not replaced is the pick-up that the
Module plugs into. Will also verify that I got the right coil. Next step
is to buy a new distributor.......
New Distributor Purchased. It was only $169.00. I've already spent over $170 chasing parts. Time to return a few if I can. Fingers crossed.....
NashvilleTJ likes this.

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #1243 of 1365 Old 02-10-2021, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

I just spent my evening replumbing the fuel return system and replacing the distributor. Still no spark. Just doesn’t make sense.....

Then a thought came to me......I unplugged the Sniper from the Tach output on the distributor and reconnected my old tachometer. This completely separates the sniper system from the ignition system. I turned the key AND IT FIRED!

I will be calling Holley in the morning.

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #1244 of 1365 Old 02-11-2021, 06:18 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well I'm glad you are making progress anyway.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

post #1245 of 1365 Old 02-11-2021, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
Well I'm glad you are making progress anyway.
Not so sure. I was on phone will Holley for 45 minutes back and forth between MSD and Sniper techs. MSD Tech thought it was a Sniper issue. Sniper tech said he’d have to call me back. 2 hours later, he just called and said he thinks it’s a distributor tach wire issue. I had to go to work, so will have to call them back when I get home. Having a hard time swallowing the idea that it’s a distributor problem when I have the same problem (no spark) with two different distributors; however, when I disconnect the Sniper system, the primary problem goes away and the engine fires.

But I’m learning, and it’s completely possible that I’m wrong.....

My '74 CJ5 build:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in