Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Sonic's 05 TJ build

49K views 323 replies 30 participants last post by  SonicR1 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd start a thread since I know how inspiring they can be.

I got my first Jeep about 5 or 6 years ago. It was a 2002 X. I replaced the bumpers, put rocker guards on it, SYE, 4" list, 33" tires, ford 9" in the rear, ARB front and rear. I ended up selling it a couple years ago because I thought it would help some of our financial issues... It didn't and it definitely wasn't a reason we had the issues.

I bought a CJ about a year ago to place it. The PO told me I would just have to replace the fuel lines and it should be fine. Well, one thing led to another, frame off, yadda yadda... I had been looking for a TJ for a little while because of my frustration. Finally two weeks ago, I dug into the tranny and TC and realized I had to rebuild them too... That was the last straw.

I got the OK from the wife to buy a TJ, and this is what I ended up with.

My new toy

The day we got it, we took it for a weekend trip to Monterey. When I got it home my boys asked, can we take that daddy. How could I say no?!?!?!

71f543e7

Came with some upgrades:

HD Steering, at least they look thicker than the ones I had, and they are a lot thicker than the CJ's!!!

Bumpers front and rear, not my style, but way better than stock!!!

Rocker guards:

My least favorite part, sounds good around town but gets annoying on the freeway, may have to swap it for a 40 series down the line.

First mod:

Second mod, it had a nice head u it in it, but the speakers sounded so thin. I stole the cheap amp and speaker box out of my truck... I unhooked it a couple years ago anyway, it was just sitting in there taking up space. I had to lop off about a foot of the box to get it to fit. Made the porter box a sealed box, and still sounds pretty good!

So for now, the boys nicknamed it bumble bee... Not sure if it will stick, but it's hard to change when that's what the boys keep calling it... :D

Thanks to all that stopped in to check it out!!!

See less See more
#134 ·
Yes, and HOLEY CRAP!!!!! Any idea how it happened??? Did you call rock krawler???

edit: Just went back over your thread, I didn't remember seeing that before… I probably would have gone a different direction!!!

#135 ·
Still waiting on the bushing tool, but got the spacers for the track bar.

Doesn't look like they improved on the design much from the pics that Third posted, I'm hoping it was defective welds… I thought about bracing it, and may go back and put something on the corner, but most likely will get a weld on bracket.

and my original pic, for comparison…

#136 ·
Well the track bar is definitely solid and I'm still running it.

I called RK and they told me to take pictures and send it to them so they could see if it was bad welds or if something else caused it. I ended up just getting a weld on mount from Poly Performance and am very happy with it.

Here's a shot of the actual welds:

And here's to Poly mount I fixed it with:

Are you getting any bump steer with it now? Are you going to be putting a dropped pitman arm on?

#137 ·
Wow, those welds look like they had no penetration. After bolting up the bracket, I think I would prefer the weld on bracket! I looked for that bracket on Poly's web page, but couldn't find it. They might have changed the design, I found a similar one, but I like the one you have now.

Anyway, the ride is so much better now. I didn't realize how bad my steering was!!! I had a good 15-20 degrees of play!!! What really made me decide to get a new track bar was when I came out of the gym one night and I was talking to a buddy, I walked over to my Jeep just before we left and randomly started turning my wheel. I noticed the the body didn't move. So I had my buddy turn the wheel while I checked the steering. Between the drop bracket and the bushings, I could see the pitman arm move back and forth without moving anything else.

I tried to induce bump steer going through a parking lot, and maybe it was because my steering was so bad before, but I didn't notice it… yet. I'll give it some more time. I've heard people go both ways on the pitman arm issue. And looking at my geometry, it is better than it was with that stupid drop bracket!!!

(I put in a request to move this to the build section)

#139 ·
I assume instead of pulling the axle over, it moves the attachment location and keeps the axle on the same arc as before it was lifted.

How do you like the Rock Krawler steering setup?

#140 ·
Savvy…

Even though UPS let my first set get stolen, Savvy found a way to get me a set! Thanks GMAN!!!

To Chrysler: STUPIDEST PLACE TO PUT A TURN SIGNAL FLASHER!!! Ok, the placement could be worse...

#142 ·
No, CJ's aren't the only ones!!! It is MUCH better now!!! So is the exhaust…

I need to get a 2.25" clamp for the hanger, I only got one when I got the turn down. Had a 3" from my old Camaro, so I improvised.

Welder finally arrived, need to get a 230v plug, gas cylinder and a cart… can't wait to use it!!! Just gotta figure out what to weld… hmmmm… 8.8???

#145 ·
Welder finally arrived, need to get a 230v plug, gas cylinder and a cart… can't wait to use it!!! Just gotta figure out what to weld… hmmmm… 8.8???
how about using it for a great CJ restoration project? :teehee:

#143 ·
haha CJs are definitely not the only one!
Sick turn down, I got one too!

RK steering is pretty legit, the tie rod and drag link rub which is kinda weird, but it doesn't seem to effect the steering or flexibilty or anything. Hoping to up grade it to some high-steering soon with the Teraflex knuckle and Gen-right axle side TB mount and track bar.

Maybe you should just skip the 8.8 and do a 60 or a 14B :shhh:

:laugh:

#146 ·
Third, I thought about a couple different ways to change the steering, but I think Rock Krawler is the best for my setup… if you upgrade your steering, I'll buy your current setup… :) As for rear end, I'm never going bigger than 35's, so the 8.8 was the best choice… I thought about a Dana 60, but I called a shop, and cost per function, the 8.8 won!!!

Not as impressive as your miller, Jim…

Here it is, just out of the box...

Mike, I'll use it to help you restore your CJ… I don't think I'll be getting another one any time soon! I do miss my CJ, though, many times I thought I would have had it running by now if I would have kept it… but who knows.

#147 ·
Bill,

I have an older version of that welder, the 175, and it works great. Have burnt up about 15 lbs of wire in the last 6 weeks building beehive stands...

Attachments

#148 ·
Sweet!!! Meltin metal is so cool!!!!

We need to go Jeepin!!!!!!

#150 ·
Nothing to post about the TJ, but replaced the lights on the wife's JK. I opened the hood and tried to figure out how to get to the sockets... I just couldn't figure it out so I opened the manual. The first step is "REMOVE THE GRILL"!!! WT??? Anyway, 6 plastic push pin type fasteners and the plastic grill pops off... I now understand how Chrysler kept the price down on these things!

#152 ·
Thanks Jim, I'm hoping so… I had a bit of remorse when I bought it, kind of wished I would have got the Miller 180, but I'm here now!

Today was spent with a sick kid, not to mention that I think I am sick too. After watching Hop (for the 8th time this weekend!), I loaded him up and went to the nearest welding store. I found a welding cart that I really liked… well, until she told me that it was $150!!! I ended up getting a price on a cylinder and I bought an extension cable--25' for $75. I probably could have saved some money if I would have bought it online, but I want to weld something!!! I went to Harbor Freight and spent $60 on a welding cart. I figure I couldn't build one for that cheap, so…

(That pic reminds me that I need to clean my garage!!!)

It was kind of cool because when I got it home, my little guy helped me put it together. He is gonna be a wrencher when he gets older!!!

Anyway… off to nap!!!

#153 ·
OK, I couldn't help it, had to burn something… my first bead…

Wow, it's so nice using a decent welder!!! Even with flux core, it burns so smooth in comparison to my cheap-o-welder!!!

#154 ·
Well, nothing Jeep related to report, but a little maintenance on my truck. Those who have a 2002-2006 GM product know about the faulty stepper motors in the gauges… I replaced one about two years ago, not heeding the advice of the ebay seller I purchased the one motor from, suggesting I should replace them all while I was in the dash… so this time I replaced the rest…

White motors-BAD (except for the one in the middle), Black motors-GOOD!!!

#155 ·
Wooo hooo, it's been a while, but I finally got some time. I started welding up the buckets today…

I may just get the 8.8 in the Jeep before summer…

#156 ·
Bill, school me...what are they for? I am lost!:eek:

#158 ·
That is Artec Industries way of securing the rear coil springs to the rear axle. Slip the coil of that center piece, then bolt a plate over it, so if it over extends, the spring won't just pop off.

#159 ·
ahhh, coil springs, what are those!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.