Slayer's LJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 32 Old 07-28-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
slayer9019

2005 LJ Wrangler 

So I'm 99% confident my pre-cats are clogged and with the 100F weather I've been having it's causing zero power and massive overheating...I'm sure the supercharger isnt helping so I expedited getting this hood cut up while waiting for my exhaust pieces to come in.

Looks like I'm rolling with no hood until I get this cat fixed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 Old 07-31-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
slayer9019

2005 LJ Wrangler 

So the install of the Tuffy Unlimited Drawer 131 should have been dead nuts simple but...I hate these soft torx bolts!!!! Ended up killing a drill, an ez-out, and snapped the bolt head off on the roll cage and stripped out the passenger seatbeltt torx. Will drill out that bolt and put a nut on the back.

post #18 of 32 Old 07-31-2019, 10:20 AM
g23crawler

If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for the super charger? Everything Iv dont numbers on a 5.3 was no more than a used spintex and has 100hp more and better mpg. Maybe im just missing something lol

post #19 of 32 Old 08-01-2019, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
slayer9019

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g23crawler View Post
If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for the super charger? Everything Iv dont numbers on a 5.3 was no more than a used spintex and has 100hp more and better mpg. Maybe im just missing something lol
Cost me 3k brand new. You could probably do a 5.3 at around the same cost but thats doing the work yourself. I didn't want to have the jeep down for that long and am living in a rental for the moment (can't be doing motor swaps here). Took me a lazy weekend to install and honestly? It does fine.

I'm already scoping out doing a 5.3 or a 6.0 when this motor cooks but it works fine for me and my purposes.
post #20 of 32 Old 08-06-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
slayer9019

2005 LJ Wrangler 

So the build continues....and the issues compile. I got a new exhaust that is much harder mounted combined with a new set of pre-cats, and new o2s. This has livened up the motor a good bit but still much to be desired, maybe I have too high a hopes for this heavy pig even with the supercharger. She seems to fall a bit on her face over 40mph and it breaks up in higher RPM after it heats up. Im guessing coils but could be CPS.

New downpipe wraps up real nice. Pacesetter does a great job compared to others.

Hoods all bolted up. It JUST clears the supercharger. I have about 1/2in before it hits the hood. Dump a solid amount of heat off combined with the vented fenders. No more burnt hands on the hood even with the supercharger.

New bolt up for the 8x6.5 wheels

...and now onto the tuning issues. Plugs looked OK but decided to swap in some Autolite XP865s.

Seems to be kicking off a bunch of misfires especially towards open loop. PCM keeps a heavy advance on spark.

post #21 of 32 Old 08-06-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
slayer9019

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Goals up next are get some shorter shocks into the back since the prorock seems to have lost me some shock room. Got some OME Nitros. Also throw in some shorter swaybar links due to the routing over the larger diff. Plus got a CPS sensor, new coil rail to hopefully clear up the misfires.

I got to do the final 500 mile gear oil change and throw in some lube lockers as well before hitting the trail this weekend. First run!!! Unfortunately Ill be running sans-ebrake as I am still waiting for it to be made.
post #22 of 32 Old 08-07-2019, 02:27 PM
07wurubi
2006 LJ Rubicon

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I was looking at the Pacesetter cat setup myself. Good to hear it fits well. Where did you end up getting it from and did it include the rear cat as well?

Mike Fox

My Jeep:
06 Wrangler LJ Rubicon
work in progress.
post #23 of 32 Old 08-07-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
slayer9019

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07wurubi View Post
I was looking at the Pacesetter cat setup myself. Good to hear it fits well. Where did you end up getting it from and did it include the rear cat as well?
I got it from quadratec. It came with the third cat but thatíll just sit in my garage as wall art.
07wurubi likes this.
post #24 of 32 Old 08-08-2019, 12:00 AM
boosthead

Nice build
post #25 of 32 Old 08-12-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
slayer9019

2005 LJ Wrangler 

So started narrowing down my issues with the supercharger....first changed the coil pack with a new NGK and it idled smoother. I tested the resistance on the old pack vs new and it and a lower resistance between coils, especially 3&4. read ~1.48k ohm on the old and 1.599-1.6k on the new.

Drove out to wheel and the TPS sensor went out in the parking lot! Had a few spares so I threw in an old mopar unit. BOOM no more major misfires and runs MUCH better. Now I am getting a lean on bank 1&2. Progress I guess. Ran pretty strong but is running a tad hotter than I'd like 205-228F. Also vapor locked twice so def running too hot.

Was running pretty good in some rock gardens, but made me realize I really need hydro assist to turn aird down on these tires vs the 35 KO2s I used to run.

I ended up in an awkward spot and used the skinny pedal and lockers to induce a bad situation. Ripped the rear shock out, sway bar got nuked and the drivers rear tire walked right under the jeep. Ended up with the rear control arms vertical under the jeep bending the mounds and arm too! Fun...

Here's a shot not of the event but how bad the axle is walking foward under droop minus the shock. Will be doing limit straps in the rear to keep the shocks happy.

Metalcloak arm joints got wrecked too. Luckily they are replacing!! So is ARB with the shock!

Opened up Upper CA bracket

Bent lower link and axle bracket.

post #26 of 32 Old 08-13-2019, 07:13 AM
g23crawler

How do you like the nittos?
post #27 of 32 Old 08-13-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
slayer9019

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g23crawler View Post
How do you like the nittos?
Absolutely love them! Wish I even skipped the KO2s.

They run pretty silent down the road (very surprising actually). Basically a different pitch not louder than the KO2s.

They are grippy as all hell. I hope they don't harden up quickly but these things are pretty sticky. Offroad, I struggled to get them to slip...half the reason I ended up ripping out that shock. They grip so well.

I'd say these are my go-to tire moving forward, I dont see any issues with them. Quiet on the highway, grip like its got claws and run very very smooth. I have zero weights and they are dead nuts balanced going 80mph.

My LJ Journey. Stock to one-ton supercharged
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 32 Old 08-13-2019, 11:55 AM
g23crawler

That's good to hear! I have been debating on what to get the last couple months and the nittos were always at the top of the list. Makes me feel better about my choice!
post #29 of 32 Old 08-13-2019, 10:10 PM
Queticon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

dayum! how are you going to fix those mounting points for the CA?

No matter where you go...
There your Jeep is.
post #30 of 32 Old 08-14-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
slayer9019

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queticon View Post
dayum! how are you going to fix those mounting points for the CA?
Once I get my new bushings and arms in from Metalclaok I'll be doing a backyard thrust alignment. Plan on hanging 4 plumb bobs from the axles and adjusting it.

Next up I'm going to take it to OK4WD in NJ and have them do an inspection for that, mid-arms and to weld up some limit straps. Not letting that happen again as I sometimes wheel "solo" with my girl and would prefer the insurance.

My LJ Journey. Stock to one-ton supercharged
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in