ShadowNWPA 91ish YJ Build Thread - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #196 of 239 Old 02-19-2016, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Today- I finished installing the new engine mounts with my version of the passenger side adapter bracket. I also installed a new wiper fluid bottle and pump.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/shadownwpa-91ish-yj-build-thread-1857154/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 239 Old 03-07-2016, 04:35 PM
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure how I missed this build.

It's come a long way! I was looking for the fuel tank support on page 2 with a Google search and ended up reading the whole thread. It was worth the read for ideas and to get inspired again. Thanks!!
post #198 of 239 Old 03-07-2016, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks, it's a long process.

Just a little bit ago I buttoned up what was left of the injector repair/upgrade, 4.0 throttle body swap and tj downpipe mess that had been in process since Christmas. I started it up to find there's a nasty exhaust leak from the manifold and a much lesser one from a clamp that I apparently didn't tighten enough... it figures the only clamp in the system will leak. So a new manifold or header is in the plans now. I had hoped to run it to work in the nice weather this week but it will be the bike instead... these two will have to compete for my attention this summer.

post #199 of 239 Old 03-16-2016, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yesterday - was gifted a used manifold by a fellow jeeper. Many thanks. It turned out the manifold fit nicely into the ammo can sidecase on the bike for the ride home. I'll be cleaning it up, mag particle testing it for cracks, and if it passes I'll probably paint it before install with some high temp black.
r33f likes this.

post #200 of 239 Old 03-19-2016, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Got the manifold cleaned, tested, and started painting today.

post #201 of 239 Old 03-29-2016, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Last week I got the intake and exhaust manifolds off. The old exhaust manifold had a small crack, but the main problem was the shorn off bolt on the rearmost tube closest to the firewall. The other bolt on that tube was barely hand tight. Seeing no better option I pulled the head off and started looking at options.

I managed to find a head gasket kit that includes all the ones I'll need for the re-install for about $28. That's on its way from Crown, not sure on quality but I never intended to keep this engine anyways. Hoping this is the last repairs to the engine until I have a diesel ready to swap in.

Tonight I took the head up to Dad for him to unleash some toolmaker kung-fu on the broken bolt. Took 10 minutes to clamp, level, center drill the tap diameter and push out the leftovers with a hand tap. Way better than what would have happened to it on my workbench with a hand drill.

Now I have it home, need to get it cleaned up before I put it back in sometime hopefully in the next week. This has to be one of the most crudded up head I've ever seen come off a running engine.

post #202 of 239 Old 05-18-2016, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
An update:

Reassembly was completed once the March winter weather subsided. It took a bit to figure out why it wouldn't start, had two plug wires switched. I still have a miss, running on 3 cylinders, but after changing spark plugs and swapping the 1st and 2nd injectors, I believe the ECU is damaged. The front cylinder doesn't fire and reconnecting the new injector pigtail didn't make a bit of difference. I opened up the ECU to attempt brain surgery but it's got the rubber stuff over it. Just waiting on finances for a new ECU then I believe it'll be ready to run.

post #203 of 239 Old 08-16-2016, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well... it runs now. I spent half a day calling every auto parts store and salvage yard I could find looking for an ECU that would work. Everyone said cardone doesn't stock any... they only fix what you send them. Ebay sellers are the same way. None of the yards have much for yj parts. Simpson Family Jeeps came through with an ECU out of a 95. I sold a shotgun and used some of the money for the brain, some for renewing the registration, and the rest will go towards state inspection costs.

The thing runs smooth now... so smooth it's weird. I still have a coolant leak which I suspect (hope) could be a loose hose clamp. The exhaust still needs a hanger to keep the tailpipe off the shackle bolt. I also need to open up some holes in the back of the bumper so I can finish installing the rest of the bolts. Hopefully this week it'll be inspected and back on the road.

post #204 of 239 Old 08-19-2016, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It runs better now. I've been cycling the engine, start, run 3 or 4 minutes, then shut down, wait a minute, repeat. Its brought the idle to a little more sensible level. I also tightened a forgotten hose clamp so now i can keep more puddles off the driveway. Might take it for a little ride tonight and see how it goes.

post #205 of 239 Old 04-20-2017, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
And now for an update:

I didn't run the jeep much last fall, the radiator kept leaking, I found the springs settling had thrown out my rear driveshaft angle, and the exhaust had worked itself loose. This spring I purchased a new radiator, water pump, 8" exhaust flex joint, IAC, plug wires, distributor cap & rotor, square ubolts, chevy ubolt plates, and some pinion angle wedges.

When the parts came in I started on it, the IAC and plug wires went on fine, but pulling the cap revealed a newer style distributor and rotor. So I had to go and buy a new rotor for that style. I then pulled the radiator and water pump, the radiator showed where it had been leaking pretty obviously, and the water pump had some slop in the bearings so I went ahead and put the new one on.

There was a week in the meantime where the fan and fan clutch were sitting (upright per the conventional wisdom) and when I went to put it back on I found the oil from the fan clutch had been leaking out. In search of the best solution for this I found out a coworker had an electric fan hanging in his garage and decided buying it could be a cost-effective fix. That idea was crushed when after I bought it I figured out there would need to be wiring, switches, a relay, and a way to mount it on the radiator.

So another couple weeks go by and I'm downstairs picking through my spare metal pieces and a fan mount is spiraling into a fan shroud/mount. The fan wiring kit is also on it's way over from china. when I get a chance I'll update this with some fresh photos.

The flex joint is intended to be placed just ahead of the catalytic converter, with some additional exhaust hangers (left over from prior projects) being installed before and after it. When I initially installed the rear half of the exhaust I didn't leave much chance for it to move around, because there's not much room for it to do so, and with how much the engine moves I figure with a flex joint there can be some movement on the front half without undoing everything behind.

The square ubolts and chevy ubolt plates will be used for a ubolt flip when I install the pinion angle wedges. I had seen this a while ago.. right after I installed the 8.8 initially and figure it's a decently cheap 'while I'm at it... ' upgrade. The ubolt plates were sourced from a salvage yard for $5 and I have them blasted and painted.

post #206 of 239 Old 04-24-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yesterday-
I installed the pinion angle wedges and flipped the ubolts. Then I pulled the tank to investigate a fuel leak... found out the exhaust has been leaking (i missed a spot of weld) just in front of the tank, blowing on the tank skid hole where the front end of the strap connects. Looks like it softened up the plastic enough that the leak started. I think this was also influenced by the pressure that the tj fuel filler neck is keeping in the tank. I'll be working on a solution to that soon. I welded shut the leak in the tailpipe.
I also have my e-fan bracket/shroud just about done, need to clean it up and paint it. Thanks to Que for the guidance on what I need to wire it, should get to that soon.

post #207 of 239 Old 05-21-2017, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
So I ended up buying a used tank from a fellow jeeper in Cleveland who was parting out his yj that was beyond repair. $45 for the tank, 4 rubber hood/grille snubbers, and three vacuum/breather lines that were in way better shape than what I was working with on mine. I installed the tank on Tuesday or Wednesday then got busy with the e-fan install yesterday (Saturday). I also put in an additional exhaust hanger on the front end kinda near the starter. My YJ didn't come with the one on the transmission mount so it was lacking some support in that area. With the new radiator installed with the fan and the necessary temp switch it's running very well now. Probably the best it has since I've owned it. The issue now is somewhere in the fan wiring... I get it up to 210 when the fan should turn on and I get nothing. Jump the relay terminals and it turns on fine. It will be sorted out this week hopefully.

post #208 of 239 Old 03-15-2018, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Today I fixed about 30 photos on the beginning of this thread. More to come.

In terms of building the jeep...

Last summer the e-fan ended up just getting wired in to turn on with the key. It works pretty well. It ended up causing more issues. I burned up my wiper switch by wiring the fan to the wrong yellow wire. Talking apart the column that deep really sucked and it's still not back together right. I did use my YJOTM gift cards to go towards a Rugged Ridge Spartacus 8500# rope winch, snatchblock, and tree strap from quadratec and a bunch of shirts from metalcloak. Christmas brought a winch plate and locking steel center console. I've also collected enough tube steel for my version of a hitch/tub mount swing-down tire carrier. I've got to get all that put together and installed before Bantam.

post #209 of 239 Old 03-15-2018, 04:51 PM
offroader80

looking good so far. cant wait to see the her finished
post #210 of 239 Old 03-15-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader80 View Post
looking good so far. cant wait to see the her finished
Here's a glimpse... Not sure I'll ever be 'finished' though.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0417_1521168314972.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in