Scrambler meets big ugly - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 115 Old 10-17-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
CJWoodman

1983 CJ8 

Garage
Been busy as most of us are, for me mostly with work but beats being bored I guess. Here are some updates. I got the front drive shaft installed, it took the machine shop two tries to get it right so that took 2 weeks the first round because the yolk was too big, then some vacation time for them, then two more weeks to put the proper yolk on it. Nice product all in all though. Made me miss an event I wanted to attend but maybe next summer. The tires had to get changed, the shop couldn't smooth em out so I chose to switch to all terrains while they were reordering. Put a couple thousand miles on the jeep and it has been awesome to drive. Love the sound of the flowmasters. I like the AT's better now that I have them. I did some light wheeling and it feels so confident off road compared to before. I found some good mounds to pull upon and check the drive shaft clearance. It's so tight I can't believe it doesn't hit the trans pan. The only time it did hit the pan was while taking a left into my driveway. It was in two wheel and wasn't spinning. After inspection I could see that there is a high spot on the yolk weld that I need to clean up and then it should be fine. The body shop I had lined up to paint it backed out just last week and said come back in June 2020, not going to happen like that so I'll make time to get started on the sheet metal repair, probably in January realistically. I already got the b pillars from Classic Industries and will post pictures of them when I can. Looking for a good welder now and should get that for Christmas. I can't wait to get started on the body.

Attached Thumbnails
0827191528.jpg   0827191704a.jpg   0827191706a.jpg   0703191453a.jpg   0703191453.jpg  

0703191454.jpg  
arg0413 likes this.

Big Ugly cJ8 build in progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep Air

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 115 Old 10-20-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
CJWoodman

1983 CJ8 

Garage
So here is the next chapter. I want to make my seat belts safe again! This is the passenger side but both sides are in about the same condition. I figure I'll start by sand blasting what's here then assess to see how much of the b pillar, floor and rocker needs to be cut away for the repair. I did't keep the area free of silt and dirt so here is the punishment. The b pillar repair parts from Classic Enterprises look like the original so that should make it a go a little smoother. Probably won't start on this until the new year. I have to get a welder and practice stitching pieces together.
Attached Thumbnails
1020191316.jpg   1020191317.jpg   1020191317b.jpg   1018191347.jpg   1018191348.jpg  

Jeep Air

post #108 of 115 Old 10-23-2019, 11:24 PM
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

I need to look into those b pillar blocks. I moved my belts to the roll bar, but would like to move them back to the b pillar.

post #109 of 115 Old 10-24-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
CJWoodman

1983 CJ8 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMountainGoat View Post
I need to look into those b pillar blocks. I moved my belts to the roll bar, but would like to move them back to the b pillar.
They were $134 and the lead time wasn't bad. I had them in about two weeks. Found this video on someone fitting them up.

Jeep Air

post #110 of 115 Old 12-04-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
CJWoodman

1983 CJ8 

Garage
I got a call today from a guy who collects scrap stoves from my parking lot. He asked if I was interested in some jeep parts. He was cleaning out an old timers garage with all sorts of stuff. The owner was in to jeeps, it looks like he didn't finish his project. This is what he dropped off. Some older cj parts. Replacement fenders with the stickers still on them. Also grills, a dash, a few hoods, one a yj hood, rust free doors, I was hoping for paddle style doors, not sure what I will do with these doors. A yj windshield frame in ok shape. Going to see if it can be made to fit my cj8. Either way I just felt I couldn't let all this go to the scrap to be destroyed. He's going back again soon so I told him to keep the parts coming.
Attached Thumbnails
1204191203.jpg   1204191203a.jpg   1204191204.jpg   1204191203b.jpg   1204191203c.jpg  

arg0413 likes this.

Jeep Air

post #111 of 115 Old 12-04-2019, 10:20 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Scrambler meets big ugly

Thatís pretty cool. Hopefully there are some parts you can use, and there appears to be a bunch of stuff that would be worth selling.

...and whatís all that white stuff lying around?

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #112 of 115 Old 12-05-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
CJWoodman

1983 CJ8 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Thatís pretty cool. Hopefully there are some parts you can use, and there appears to be a bunch of stuff that would be worth selling.

Hope your doing well for the holidays! Yah the dreaded white stuff, it's great to play in, not so great to work in. Spent an hour digging the dumpster out of a snowbank for trash pick up tomorrow lol. The parts are still sitting in front of the shop. Hope to get them stowed tomorrow. Really want to make a wall art project out of the grill for sure. Looking more seriously into adapting the YJ windshield frame to replace my rusted one since good used CJ ones are not around anymore. Probably just hold the rest for another day.

Jeep Air

post #113 of 115 Old 12-05-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
CJWoodman

1983 CJ8 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post

Hope your doing well for the holidays! Yah the dreaded white stuff, it's great to play in, not so great to work in. Spent an hour digging the dumpster out of a snowbank for trash pick up tomorrow lol. The parts are still sitting in front of the shop. Hope to get them stowed tomorrow. Really want to make a wall art project out of the grill for sure. Looking more seriously into adapting the YJ windshield frame to replace my rusted one since good used CJ ones are not around anymore. Probably just hold the rest for another day.
NashvilleTJ likes this.

Jeep Air

post #114 of 115 Old 12-25-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
CJWoodman

1983 CJ8 

Garage
I finally had some time to pick through my scrapper buy and I could not be happier with what Bobby brought me. What great luck that he thought of me and that he didn't toss these into the pile to be destroyed. So it turns out what I thought was a YJ window frame wound up being a CJ frame. It's in rough shape but it's there and better than mine which is crumbling at the bottom edge. I am not sure but according to the emissions sticker this windshield hasn't seen the road since 95, makes sense, if it had the salt would have eaten it alive. Now I can take my time and completely rehab this one and not feel rushed. Not sure how I want to treat this but I spent hours looking at rixcj's Windshield frame restoration and what a detailed job he did. Either way, I would never expect to find a salvageable windshield frame in CT and I can't wait to begin.
Attached Thumbnails
1209191706.jpg   1209191707.jpg   1209191707a.jpg   1209191705.jpg  

Jeep Air

post #115 of 115 Old Today, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
CJWoodman

1983 CJ8 

Garage
I did some clean up with a wire wheel on the new frame. This is the worst of it, the condition isn't as good as I was hoping for but still better than what's on there currently. I have to think about which direction will be best. Based on the info here on the forum the consensus is that the crown windshield frame is the least crappy of the new ones. The new one will need tweaking to make work for sure or I could spend time going through this one, learn how to weld, fab some patches and coat it on the inside, just have to decide if this one is worth the effort?
Attached Thumbnails
1226191719a.jpg   1226191720.jpg   1226191721.jpg   1226191721a.jpg   1226191721b.jpg  

Jeep Air

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in