Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Scrambler meets big ugly

43K views 218 replies 21 participants last post by  CJWoodman 
#1 ·
I have owned my scrambler since 2005. After numerous upgrades to my 258 4.2 including Davis ignition and Weber carb I decided to go the v8 route to improve driveability. Here is my lm7 swap project. Started research years ago and began purchasing materials in January 2017. The engine was in great shape inside so we cleaned painted and replaced what I thought should be. Here are photos of the Jeep tear down that started Saturday 5/13. I'm sure I will have questions as I go.

Attachments

See less See more
#66 ·
I ordered up new ac to go with the gm ac compressor from jeep air. My original one hadn't worked in a few years but it is nice to have when I do have my hard top on. I posted comparison photos of the profile. I like the new design with the ducts that are angled up. Might just keep my knee from freezing. lol Now is the time to do it before the radiator goes in. If I didn't do it now I know I never would.

Attachments

#67 ·
I got the rear drive shaft installed yesterday on the gm 4l60e transmission and I continued mocking up the front shaft today to see if any slight adjustments are needed. It is very close as you can see in the first picture. In the second picture is a better view of the Novak custom transmission pan with the notch in it.

Attachments

#68 ·
Work has kept me from the project but yesterday I was able to get one of the inner fender wells and the grill coated in base and clear. Then I can mount the cooling system. Came out ok. Some orange peel but it is on the inside of the engine bay and the grill will be covered with the stainless overlay.

Attachments

#69 ·
This is the best place I could find for the gm computer, under the master cylinder and above the canister, mounted with a $20 oem gm part number 15995679. It was tight but I was able to snake the harness around the obstacles. Now it is time to clean up the rest of the harness. I also got the air cleaner mounted as well as the bumper and spare tire carrier.

Attachments

#70 ·
CJ Air

I am getting closer to hearing the Jeep run for longer than ten seconds and that can happen once I finish the cooling system! The challenge is trying to fit the tranny cooler, ac condenser and radiator all together while maintaining 1" space between each and fitting it all inside of the grill. To start I was able to harvest the mounts from the Scramblers original failed ac condenser. I used them to mount the new condenser. The mounting brackets Cj air provided for the condenser would have been a pia to use but if it was all I had I would have made em work. The original mounts were a quick solution and gave this part of the install a finished look. I may end up remote mounting the tranny cooler under the bed because of space constraints. If I crowd it too muchI was told it could effect the performance of the ac condensor. I'll try to move things around one last time tomorrow but won't waste too much time on it. If it doesn't work, under the bed it goes. The directions for the AC kit are lacking but Trish at CJ Air has been patient and helpful with mounting advice. The last photo is the final spot for my fuel pump relay.

Attachments

#71 ·
This is the final configuration of the core support. I was able to fit it all in with proper spacing after some customizing of brackets and a few times in and out. Thankfully I got through it without any damage, I always worry handling these things, one slip is all it takes.

Attachments

#72 ·
Nice. I can’t recall - are you running a mechanical or electric fan? I had air flow issues with my electric fan after stacking coolers in front of my radiator / condenser with my Hemi install. I’ve since upgraded the fan to a 25 amp unit, which should help. I would rather have stayed mechanical, but I do not have the room.

#73 ·
Nice. I can't recall - are you running a mechanical or electric fan? I had air flow issues with my electric fan after stacking coolers in front of my radiator / condenser with my Hemi install. I've since upgraded the fan to a 25 amp unit, which should help. I would rather have stayed mechanical, but I do not have the room.
I am running electric as well, Flexalite Aluminum radiator and per their website they list 18 amp draw and a 40 amp fuse rating with a claimed 3000 cfm. Its a single blade unit with 8 blades and 15" diameter. Here is a look below. Thanks for the heads up, in case I run into issues what did you upgrade to? Thanks again Nashville.

Attachments

#74 ·
The first fan was a no-name 10 amp 16" puller I got from Red Rock. That was supposedly rated at 2700-3000 cfm - my guess is at a very low static pressure. I've since learned that amp's are everything. I went with a 17", 2 speed, 24 amp unit from Derale. Seems to be helping quite a bit. If you are interested, there is a comparison to my old fan in my build thread (link in my sig) on post #1765.

I would have gone with a SPAL, as they have a 16" fan with over 40 amps, but at over 4.5" it was way to deep to fit for me. Looks like you have a good bit more room that I do.

#76 ·
I got the radiator plumbed in did an extended run of the engine. Started up fine with good oil pressure. Topped off all the fluids, closed the hood and took it for a 5 foot ride inside the shop! Thermostat opened and the cooling fan cycled and maintained temps between 195 and 200. Power steering is working great with no leaks.Here is a link to the video.

Attachments

#77 ·
I tripped over the bumper one to many times so I decided to hang it. First I put the adapter brackets on the frame then the bumper hung on them. Took about 45 minutes doing it alone. Going to start back up on the ac this weekend.

Attachments

#78 ·
looks like you have the wider shackles so you can run yj leafs? are you happy with them no interference or issues? I am looking at the RE kit for 4.5" and they have the yj shackles. the build looks awesome, I just found you and looking forward to see it completed!

#79 ·
Thanks 21 for looking. Yes those are yj springs. Did that around 2013. Wider springs with fewer leafs made for a nicer ride. I am happy that I did it. I bought the Old Man Emu springs but did it a la carte. It was more affordable that way. I have not had any interference issues at all, I added a 1" body lift during the project and will be putting 33" tires on soon. I am not expecting any problems.

#84 ·
Thanks for checking in. That time of the year for me to hustle. Being in the heating business in the northeast keeps me busy in winter for sure. We're going to see single digit temps this weekend so I'll be busy with service calls. Here are a few of jobs I finished up this week with my crew. Sorry about the sideway shots. Not sure why. Between installs and service calls I have my hands full. Installs have peaked for the season and I should be able to carve out a little time here and there within a month to get back at it. Last time I worked on the build was labor day weekend 2018 on all things the ac lol. On the short list is the relay for the tcc so I can get the trans working right then finish the ac and also clean up the harness all so I can get it off to the exhaust dude which will make it driveable and that will be a milestone. Then I can then clear my last code. It's the o2 senser, can't install an o2 sensor without an exhaust. Hope to hit the dunes and some trails this summer. Speaking of exhaust last I checked in on you was your Borla install. How ya like it? Sound as good as it looks? Getting the fever to get back at the build. Keep up the great work, it's inspiring and always enjoy following along.

Attachments

#85 ·
Glad to hear business it booming! That'll help you afford more Jeep parts >:) Those are some really nice fireplace installs!

The Borla Pro XS is the perfect balance in noise for me on a performance exhaust. it's a LOT quieter that the Thrush chambered muffler, and doesn't drone at all on the highway. But I still have a good "performance tune" especially when I floor it. I highly recommend the muffler if you want something that has straight through flow and isn't loud and obnoxious.

My build is snowballing as always and I'm about to undertake my first gear install, but my Jeep will finally be finished and where I have dreamed she'd be! I have two wheeling trips booked for April, ready for the spring!!!

#86 ·
Glad to hear business it booming! That'll help you afford more Jeep parts >:) Those are some really nice fireplace installs!

The Borla Pro XS is the perfect balance in noise for me on a performance exhaust. it's a LOT quieter that the Thrush chambered muffler, and doesn't drone at all on the highway. But I still have a good "performance tune" especially when I floor it. I highly recommend the muffler if you want something that has straight through flow and isn't loud and obnoxious.

My build is snowballing as always and I'm about to undertake my first gear install, but my Jeep will finally be finished and where I have dreamed she'd be! I have two wheeling trips booked for April, ready for the spring!!!
Thanks, I'm sure going to need that money to press on with the build. I hear you on snowballing. I just listened to your Borla on Youtube mounted on a 5.3 and liked it, also considering the flowmaster 50 delta, I'm not sure. I do know I would like dual exhaust though. Gonna have to make that decision soon. I'll be tuned in, good luck on the gear install. Cheers!

#87 ·
Getting caught up at work so I was able to find some time to get back into the project this week. Taking care of the wiring is on the agenda. I wired up a relay for the tcc to get the transmission working properly. In the first photo you can see where I tapped into the supply wire for the rear brake lights, soldered and shrunk wrapped in red and blue. On my jeep the brake wire is green with a black stripe. When the pedal is pressed it supplies power to the relay to open the relay and cut power to the tcc solenoid. The splice is tucked up near the e brake, that's where the relay will reside too. In the second photo I added a keyed auxiliary power supply to feed the tcc solenoid power and will get used for other things I may want to add in the future as well. The last photo is of the finished grill with the headlights reinstalled. Auxiliary led fog lights will be here tomorrow. I had to disassemble and clean up all the connectors for the headlights with a dremel then gave them a heavy dose of dialectric grease. They were pretty crusty from sitting around for a couple years. I will upgrade the headlights later, probably to halogens. Too many other things to do right now. I will be running dedicated grounds for all parts of the jeep too.

Attachments

#88 ·
Moving along slowly but surely. Removed the seats for access, it's a must. It's getting harder to get under there, ouch. Got the new sub installed in the old console, new speakers in the dash and auxiliary lights wired. Next step, finish up the AC system.

Attachments

#91 ·
Just caught this thread doing some research for the ac from Jeep air. One thing that I like about this forum is that you get to see others use something before you do. That's the best review I can think of that is available. Be sure to let us know how you like the ac system. If you have the time and the pics, I would like to see all the original brackets that you have for the ac install. My CJ7 did not come with ac but ac is going in it, (per the wife's instructions if I expect her to ride in it.) So since I did not originally have ac, I have no idea what any of the original brackets or installation even looks like.

Good thread and strong work! I enjoyed reading it and learning where you ran into problems or issues. I hate that you had any but that is where we can all learn so thanks for posting it up.

#92 ·
Just caught this thread doing some research for the ac from Jeep air. One thing that I like about this forum is that you get to see others use something before you do. That's the best review I can think of that is available. Be sure to let us know how you like the ac system. If you have the time and the pics, I would like to see all the original brackets that you have for the ac install. My CJ7 did not come with ac but ac is going in it, (per the wife's instructions if I expect her to ride in it.) So since I did not originally have ac, I have no idea what any of the original brackets or installation even looks like.

Good thread and strong work! I enjoyed reading it and learning where you ran into problems or issues. I hate that you had any but that is where we can all learn so thanks for posting it up.
Hey Lance, I was catching up on Brian's build too and noticed your reply above. Check out the following thread... may help...

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/anyone-here-installed-jeepair-system-their-cj-4320755/

(Sorry Brian for the high-jack...
Bob)

#97 ·
A couple weeks ago I was struggling with the brakes during short test drives. The front calibers were building pressure creating drag that I could only release with the bleeders. Suspecting the master, I did another bench bleed. Nope. I decided to work back from the bleeder at that point. I thought maybe a clog in the soft front lines so I removed and replaced them. Still the same problem. https://www.jeepforum.com/ubb/brickwall.gif Out of ideas, I decided to grab the brake pedal and yank it back. It yielded a quarter inch and presto brake problem solved. I'm not sure why it was hung up but I wish I had tried that first. So I moved on to finishing up the ac plumbing, battery wiring and fog lights so I could mount the passenger fender. This past week I have been taking my time labeling the wiring harness for future reference. I will leave the wiring accessible for a little while for any bugs that may come out. This Friday I drive it 1.5 miles to a local garage for the exhaust system. Can't wait to get the exhaust in with the o2 sensors to see if I can clear some of those codes!!!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.