The Round Eyed YJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 4Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 Unread 03-10-2020, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
YJ94SBC

[QUOTE=NashvilleTJ;40898873]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ94SBC View Post
You mean you ordered a piece of hose and an old, empty water bottle??

Just kidding. I assume you mean some type of automated bleeding system? I’ve always thought about picking up a pressure bleeder, but have never pulled the trigger. Let us know what you are getting and how it works.
That is really funny! I really hate bleeding brakes, and most of the kits are crap, at least the ones I have used. I ordered a vacuum pump to bleed at each caliper and a MC bleeding tool that looks like a “Cajun Turkey injector”, have no idea how well it will work, but it has to be better than holding two tubes in the MC reservoir as you push the plunger... at least I am really hoping so!

With an entirely new system and no fewer than 6 self-flared ends, I’m hoping for only a couple flares that need to be redone. The SS brake line seems much harder to flare than standard line...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 Unread 03-22-2020, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
YJ94SBC

I was able to get the brakes well on their way. Had to order up some new caliper bolts and banjo bolts since my PowerStop kit didn’t come with either, and I wanted new hardware. Ran into an issue with the banjo bolts, couldn’t find them locally, so ended up having to order them. Pulled out my Chilton or Hayes, for the Jeep and found the torque specs for the caliper slide pins and banjo bolt. Yea that was definitely wrong. It had the caliper slide pins listed at 30lbs and the banjo at 25lbs. After breaking two caliper slide pins I decided to drop it down to 25lbs, which seemed to work. I wish I reduced the torque on the banjos to 20lbs, but that was till too much. As I torqued them, I could feel it just barely started to ease up, like it was starting to strip, so I stopped and left it there. For the rear calipers on the 8.8, I found a banjo bolt torque spec of 12-14lbs, which seemed perfect.

I have the drilled and spotted rotors but figured id wait to put them on till it’s driving.

I didn’t get a chance to bleed it yet, that’s next up. Not looking forward to that, I really don’t want to have to re-flare any ends.
Attached Thumbnails
AAD450B0-8343-4CC9-8B5E-A95F9C75576E_1584915588250.jpg   7D079847-47E1-4DCF-B5FF-82AFE7143FC0_1584915603623.jpg  
post #18 of 21 Unread 03-22-2020, 09:01 PM
kd7oir

1977 CJ5 

I'm digging that grill! If you have to redo any of the flairs I'd recommend investing in a good high quality flair tool. The cheapo napa/O'Riley tools won't hold up to do a proper flair on SS lines. I've seen some really good tutorials on YouTube to get them right. Patience and deburing the cut good is key. I'm ready to hear the vroom of that 8. Looks good 👍
Shawn

Shawn

post #19 of 21 Unread 03-23-2020, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
YJ94SBC

Thanks! Great advice, I picked up a flaring tool from www.sykes-pickavant.com a couple years ago. It does a pretty good job with SS lines, although I have had the line slide a little when flaring or even crack the flare a few times. I may look into an upgrade if I find that several of the flares need to be redone. What I really don’t want to do again are the hardlines from the MC to the proportioning value. Those sharp angles were not fun to bend and flare.

I’m throwing a party when this thing fires up again, and there will definitely be a video uploaded too!
daddyjeep87 likes this.
post #20 of 21 Unread Yesterday, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
YJ94SBC

I either have the worst luck with master cylinders, or Dot 4 is super corrosive.

I was bench bleeding the MC, and it was going really well, till I noticed a little brake fluid coming from the rear reservoir to MC seal. This is a brand new MC, so I figured I would try a new one. I was able to get another new one from a different the local part shop. The exact same thing happened, after having fluid in it for less than 15 min, brake fluid started to seep out of the rear reservoir to MC seal.

I am using Dot 4 brake fluid, not Dot 3 which is recommended. I don’t think that is the issue, the research I’ve done indicates that they are virtually the same, just different boiling points. I’m using a stock style 95 YJ MC and Brake power booster.

Wondering if I should try another MC of the same type, or look for something with a bit more quality.

Has anyone encountered this with a similar MC?
Attached Thumbnails
B3DE179F-130F-4B2D-9EEB-136937E919E3_1585086944919.jpg  
post #21 of 21 Unread Today, 07:30 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Seems like you have really good luck to get two bad MCs. I would take them back and try one more time. I wouldn't think the dot4 would do that.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in