Rio Grande Budget Resto-Mod - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-18-2021, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
burley

1976 CJ5 

Rio Grande Budget Resto-Mod

Just picked up a 95 YJ Rio Grande w/ 160k miles last week for $2500 while on a camping trip. All the stars aligned and a cheap YJ popped up 10 miles from a camping spot we'd picked out weeks before. The frame is solid, but the body has the cancer in the normal spots.. The fenders and drivers floor are shot, and the rockers need some patching. I'm not doing a frame-off restoration since its just a YJ 4 banger, but I've always had a soft spot for special editions, especially with spice interior. I want to do occasional off-roading, but I'll be focusing on reliability/safety first. The jeep hadn't started in 2 years, but I made it home after driving 125 miles in a white knuckled drive through a storm back home.

I'm a dad on a budget, and spending the profits off my '76 CJ5 build which I bought for $700 and sold for $4500 (build thread).

The 4 angry squirrels are attached to a pep boys exhaust that ends under the driver's seat and vibrates the body like a cheap sub on a 92 Honda. My gas tank teeters on a metal strap while the gauge swings from 1/4 to 3/4 full. The seats are shot, and I can see more of the road through the floor pan than I'd like.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5965.JPG   IMG_5981A.JPG   IMG_5982 2.JPG   IMG_5979A.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-21-2021, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
burley

1976 CJ5 

Tore off those ridiculous TJ fender flares and rock sliders covering up rust. I'm assessing the damage and a buddy just agreed to teach me to weld, which has been on my bucket list for years. Going to tackle the rust with a combo of replacing fenders, welding, and bondo. Learning from the last restoration, I'm going to clean up my shop daily so my wife doesn't divorce me.

I replaced the single mickey-moused scrap metal strap holding the gas tank on, which somehow I didn't notice during the pre-purchase inspection, with a proper skid plate. Also addressed the giant hole in the driver's floor, for now. I have a pan on the way, but didn't want to lose a toe in the meantime.
Attached Images

post #3 of 3 Old 07-22-2021, 08:44 AM
liftsfea

Nice Jeep. Good luck with this project.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in