Puddles rebuild - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 03-22-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Puddles: The Rebuild - Photo heavy

So I'm calling my Jeep Puddles as that's what she leaves everywhere she goes. Oil. Steering fluid. Gear oil. I'm going to do my best to keep this as up to date as possible with EVERYTHING that goes in or comes out of my 96 GC.

It starts with interior. Trash. Carpet. The works.

The wiring is all leftover that was stuck behind body panels. Most of its junk but the coax CB cable looks like its still useable

I'm not a smart man but I'm going to wager that this isn't factory.

There is still carpet under the seats. The battery was stone dead so I couldn't move the seats to access the bolts. Once I get the lat of the carpet out I'm going to scrub the floor pan and do a roll on liner. I'm also considering a drain hole in each foot well to wash out any mud that may get tracked in. Its also still in need of an engine.

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.

Last edited by Mr. Puddles; 03-22-2018 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Add info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-30-2018, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
After a good scrub in the solvent tank its into the blast cabinet

All nice and clean. Now for paint!

VHT Cast Aluminum paint on the intake and timing cover

And Wrinkle Black on the valve cover

And some VHT Burnt Copper on the block

So Sexy.

Out with the old....

Found the rod knock. 2 of the torque converter bolts has started backing out.

.....in with the new

While we have the tools out lets address that tire problem

Much better!

Just a couple bolts left and shes ready to see daylight again!
jordanperkins03 likes this.

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-30-2018, 11:46 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
looking good....well except for the pics with the strange bearded fellow.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19

post #4 of 19 Old 05-30-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
looking good....well except for the pics with the strange bearded fellow.

Ya that's my mad Russian mechanic. I told him to stay out of the pictures because he scares children and the elderly. Seems he doesn't listen....

Follow the build!

Quote:
post #5 of 19 Old 05-31-2018, 05:38 AM
phatplat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'll bite. This looks like fun.

2001 TJ S
2012 WK2 O
2015 WK2 L
post #6 of 19 Old 04-26-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Ok Id admit I have not done a very good job of keeping up with my modifications. Since my last post I have swapped fogs for marine grade led cubes, added ditch lights, added aux reverse lights, added a cb and antenna, added a had radio and antenna, added a roof rack, and installed lights in the lift gate. I have pics for most of what I have done. I will try to get that info posted up in the next few days.

Follow the build!

Quote:
post #7 of 19 Old 07-30-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
OK time for an update!

I got tired of having very little light at the rear of Puddles when we went camping so I went to the internet in search of inspiration. I found a post of an XJ with recessed incandescent lights that crabbed my attention. I then went t Amazon and started searching and checking ideas against usable mounting areas and I ended up with the following:

The switch is a flush mount push button. wanted something low profile that wouldnt accidently get tripped by things shifting in the back.

Pulled back the passender side panel to run the wires and mount the switch. All the wires run up through the accordion seals that run the wiring into the hatch.

Heres the first light mounted to the hatch panel. They are held in by 2 spring tabs. I had to drill two 5 inch holes to fit the lights. I did have to do some filing to sith the hold downs as they are slightly wider than the hole.

The lights and hatch panel fully assembled

The switch illuminates when powered on. I failed to take into consideration the body panels behind the trim when I drilled the first hole and the swith hit the body before the panel would fit back in place. Oops

The only sourse of light in this pic is the two lights I mounted into the hatch. they are SUPER bright

Switch
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lights
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5 inch hole saw set
https://www.harborfreight.com/34-in-...-pc-68115.html

Follow the build!

Quote:
post #8 of 19 Old 07-30-2019, 12:07 PM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Those certainly light things up.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19
post #9 of 19 Old 07-30-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
That pic really doesn't do them justice. I need to get a distance shot next time I'm at the lake

Follow the build!

Quote:
post #10 of 19 Old 07-30-2019, 05:20 PM
Michaelbecker

Woah you went deep with this. This tail gate lights are unreal. I might be getting a set of 5 of those. Why did you steal power/ground from?
post #11 of 19 Old 07-31-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelbecker View Post
Woah you went deep with this. This tail gate lights are unreal. I might be getting a set of 5 of those. Why did you steal power/ground from?
I ran across to the driver side and crimp spliced into a wire. Want to say it was black but Ill have to get pics.

Follow the build!

Quote:
post #12 of 19 Old 08-01-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
In 1996 when she was new Im sure the fog lights provided more than adequate light output but this is 2019. These things have GOT to go

Time for new lights. Off to Amazon I go. Marine grade IP67 rated? And white? SOLD! Using part of the factory fog light mount I attached these in place of the old lights.

Knowing I was likely going to be doing real Jeep things I did not want to risk using the factory harness plugs so I cut them off and using some solder and heat shrink I added the waterproof connectors that came with the new light harness.

Since Im upgrading the weak factory lighting how about the less than brilliant factory reverse lights. One more set of those cubes, a bracket from Swamped Offroad, and a can of white paint and bingo!

Wiring was relatively simple. I ran the harnesses through the black plug between the plate lights. I was concerned as it was a bit of a tight squeeze. I notched out the plug to accommodate the wiring.

I used the harness that came with them and ran the wiring up through the accordion connecttor at the tip of the hatch and, knowing that LEDs have such a low amp draw, simply crimp spliced into the factory reverse light wiring.

Lights
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Plate mount
https://www.swampedoffroad.com/produ...-antenna-mount

Follow the build!

Quote:
post #13 of 19 Old 08-02-2019, 04:11 PM
Michaelbecker

Nice touch painting the lights white. Looks like it could be factory.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-05-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelbecker View Post
Nice touch painting the lights white. Looks like it could be factory.
They were powder coated white by the manufacturer. I think that's how all their marine grade lights come.

Follow the build!

Quote:
post #15 of 19 Old 01-26-2020, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Remote oil filter mount
I mounted the filer on the boy rail between the engine and radiator. Its protected by the skid plate, allows for a larger filer, and provides fairly easy access. It came with 3 short self tapping screws but I did not want to put my trust in that to keep everything in place so I eyeballed a template out of some spare cardboard and trilled 3 holes on each side of the body rail. I used some stainless screws, large washers, and nylock nuts to hold everything in place. I opted to source some new hose as what they had sent me just wasnt quite long enough.

The filter on the left is the stock Mopar 090 size Filter. The one on the right is the new 1 quart PH8A size filter.

Important note: Even though heater hose deals with high pressures and temps it does NOT stand up to oil.

img]https://i.imgur.com/LIsxeBA.jpg[/img]

It ruptured with enough pressure to blow the cap off my coolant reservoir.

Follow the build!

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in