Project White Squid --- one ton YJ - Page 44 - JeepForum.com
 341Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #646 of 653 Old 09-29-2020, 07:07 PM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I bet it is real nice to see the engine pulled out of the Durango. Looking forward to see this swap!!

'92 vegas YJ likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #647 of 653 Old 10-12-2020, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Been putting in some time on this swap. I got the top end of the motor torn down and dropped the heads off at the machine shop for surfacing. I've replaced the plenum gasket with the Hughes plenum fix. I also dropped the oil pan and inspected everything in the lower end. Everything seems to be in good shape so I threw a new oil pan gasket on and buttoned it back up. I'm waiting to get the heads back then I can reassemble the engine with all new gaskets on everything.

Here's a couple pictures along the way

Painted block waiting on the heads

Since I can't go any further on the engine I started focusing on getting the Jeep ready. I started removing everything from the front end and underneath the Jeep like the skids, driveshafts, exhaust, tcase ect.

Once I got everything drained and disconnected I finally removed my front bumper, took the weight of the suspension and let all of the nitrogen out of my air shocks and lowered the front end to full bump.

Finally I snatched the motor and trans out as one unit.

That's as far as I've gotten now. I've had some parts flowing in slowly like my Winters shifter. Once I get the heads back I'll be lapping the valves then throwing it back together. I need to remove the 4.0 engine mounts and clean up the engine bay before I try to throw the new motor in for mockup. Its slowly coming along.
bgredjeep, 87TPIYJ and NHfireLJ like this.
post #648 of 653 Old 10-12-2020, 06:12 PM
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Nice... Lots of steps closer
'92 vegas YJ likes this.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #649 of 653 Old 10-13-2020, 07:14 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Man, that job looks familiar. You are tearing into it, Chris.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #650 of 653 Old 10-13-2020, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Man, that job looks familiar. You are tearing into it, Chris.
Hey if you want to come throw some of the infamous Jeff OCD on this I'm perfectly ok with that.
NashvilleTJ likes this.
post #651 of 653 Old 10-13-2020, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well since I have to also rebuild an axle while I'm doing the motor swap I just spent WAYYYY more money than I wanted to on some axle accessories through Artec. I ordered all new link brackets, a truss, full hydro mount/truss, PSC 2.5" Fully hydro steering and a heat sink cooler. Have I said lately how much I hate this hobby?
bgredjeep likes this.
post #652 of 653 Old 10-15-2020, 07:04 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
Hey if you want to come throw some of the infamous Jeff OCD on this I'm perfectly ok with that.

Now hold on there, Mr. Chris. Iím not OCD.

Iím just,,,,,,,particular.....

...and my sockets all have to be lined up perfectly in my tool box drawer.

...and dust on my workbench keeps me awake at night.

..other than that....

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #653 of 653 Old 10-16-2020, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Still puttin' along. I got the heads back from the machine shop a couple days ago. I had them remove 2 intake bolts that were broken off and I couldn't get out as well as surface it. The intake and exhaust valves didn't look too bad so I opted to lap them at home vs spend $450 for a valve job.

Here's what I started with. They really weren't bad at all for this motor having 189,000 miles.

I lapped the valves and the seats and after that I hand cleaned every valve to remove all the carbon and give it a nice shine. After that I took a wire wheel to the heads to clean them up as best I could. Following the wire wheel I sprayed them down with some over cleaner and pressure washed them. They came out really good but I didn't get any pictures of this process.

Once I got the heads all dried out on the inside and outside I taped them up and shot them with some engine enamel.

before

After

And finally reassembled the valves and springs. Im very happy with how they turned out.

Also today I had some packages delivered. The first one was my trans temp gauge. I really liked this gauge because it not only has a needle but mainly a digital readout which will be super easy to just glance down and read my temp.

And then I had my steering dropped shipped from PSC. 3 big boxes of goodness.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in