Project White Squid --- one ton YJ - Page 42 - JeepForum.com
 317Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #616 of 636 Old 07-10-2020, 06:37 PM
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
I'll throw in my $.02 for a trans with OD. Even with a mildly built LS, 5.13s in the axles and 40s are just too low for street driving. Driving to the trail from camp is sometimes a pain. Don't get me wrong, I can do 80+ down the dirt road, but RPMs are way up there.

Edit: I'm running a muncie 465 1:1 top gear.

Andy, KD8EIA
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #617 of 636 Old 07-10-2020, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
I'll throw in my $.02 for a trans with OD. Even with a mildly built LS, 5.13s in the axles and 40s are just too low for street driving. Driving to the trail from camp is sometimes a pain. Don't get me wrong, I can do 80+ down the dirt road, but RPMs are way up there.

Edit: I'm running a muncie 465 1:1 top gear.
Thanks for the input. I think I found the OD trans I need.
post #618 of 636 Old 07-15-2020, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

So after digging a little further into the motor it seems it lived a very rough life. Everything on the inside was covered in sludge.

Here's a valve cover AFTER I already shop vac'd most everything out and used a bunch of degreaser.

Under the intake was just as bad. I spent a long time with a shop vac and a scrubs brush trying to clean it up. This is how clean I was able to get it before I stopped.

Then I started looking at the cam. The camshaft had a lot of burnt oil and what appeared to be rust on it.

At this point I'm pretty convinced I'll need at a minimum a new cam and new cam bearings. I really just started to lose trust in this motor and knew I would have to throw more money into it than I want.

While browsing FB marketplace looking for a trans I stumbled on someone getting trying to get rid of a '98 Dodge Durango with a 5.9L and a 46re trans.
I hit him up and went to check it out. I checked the sparks plugs and pulled a valve cover and this engine appears to be in a lot better shape. We got to talking and it appears we know quite a few of the same Jeepers around here. The deal on the Durango is somebody owed him some money and he ended up getting a couple durangos and other cars as a payment. The one I was looking at he said he was told it had a bad fuel pump but he knew nothing else about it and it'd been sitting for a couple years. We agreed on a price and I showed back up a few days later with a trailer.

Got the Durango back to the house last Sunday. I stopped at the car wash on the way home and pressure washed a few years of field sitting off of it.

Monday morning I decided to unload it. It currently doesn't run at all so I had to get creative unloaded it. I backed the trailer up to the garage and used the winch on the Jeep to slowly offload it into the garage.

I spent the next couple days trying to get it running. I picked up a used battery from the junk yard and got to troubleshooting. When I first hooked up the battery I got nothing but after a bunch of troubleshooting in the PDC I was able to get a little bit of power to some things. The starter would only give me one click and that was it. I did some more troubleshooting and went and picked up a new started from Autozone. I got that installed, messed with more wiring, checked my ignition coil for spark and then I tried about 30 times to start it. It would turn over but not start. I could hear the fuel pump kicking on so I added about 3 gallons of gas, a bunch of starter fluid in the throttle body and I finally got her to start up. After letting her get the cobwebs out of her system it seems to run pretty good. I let it run for about 30 minutes and it doesn't make any funny sounds and did overheat at all.

I would like to drive the durango around some and make sure the motor and trans are in good shape before I pull it but this Durango is an electrical nightmare. Only about half of everything works, one brake caliper is locked up and the rear drive shaft wont stay in. After some investigating it appears the nubs that hold the ujoint in place on the rear axle yoke are missing the the Ujoint caps just fall out and the driveshaft drops to the ground. I may try removing the rear shaft and putting the tcase in 4h. As for the caliper I will try cracking the bleeder or just removing the brake line and pinching it off.

What are some things I should look for before I pull it? If I cant get it driving is there anything I should do with it running in the driveway? Compression test? Give me your thoughts. I think tomorrow I'm going to grab a can of Seafoam and do a smoke show.

I have also already purchased Hughes plenum repair kit that comes with all new gaskets and a new solid aluminum plenum plate to replace the crappy factory one. I also got a high performance tune up kit with a new cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires. I ordered engine mounts from Advance Adapters a couple weeks ago and they should be here tomorrow.
cpia84 likes this.

post #619 of 636 Old 07-15-2020, 07:17 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow... Quite the twist... Sucks on the first engine but score on the Durango.... I'd just run it sitting, shift thru the trans and see how it shifts... Pretty sure if you can chug up the street you'll get a good idea of it...

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #620 of 636 Old 07-16-2020, 03:42 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Maybe it was meant to be. 5.9 = moar betta! Dodges and electrical go figure. I think if you can rev it up and keep oil pressure that should tell you a lot. You can also pull the plugs and get marvel mystery oil and squirt it in the cylinder. Let it soak over night. I think itís pretty close to ATF, but it could help free up some carbon. For the trans easiest thing is to check the color and smell of the fluid. If itís nice and pink and donít stink you are probably good. I would still change the fluid and filter for good measure.

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

post #621 of 636 Old 07-16-2020, 06:23 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Just weld the U joint caps in place on the rear axle and drive that thing. That will make you a great donor. Now you have OBD2 and the right trans. Get that out and do some burn outs. Maybe hit some sweet jumps.
Grewe02 likes this.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

YJOTM August 19
post #622 of 636 Old 07-16-2020, 07:31 AM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Sucks to hear about the 5.2 not working out but now you are going with a 5.9 and a better trans. seems like a win - win to me. I run it and shift it in the garage and then do what @daddyjeep87 suggested and weld up the driveshaft. it doesn't need to be perfect just need to run it through the paces before you pluck it from the Durango. I do get the electrical can be an issue but it being a Chrysler product the harnesses should merge well. I am definitely tuning in to see how this works out.

post #623 of 636 Old 07-27-2020, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

What an eventful weekend. A couple weeks ago my buddy from Va hit me up and said the guys I used to wheel with are all headed to Adventure Offroad Park to do some wheeling and watch the Ultra4 race. The drive for them to get to AOP was about 11 hrs and I figured the least I could do was drive 4 hours to see them and hang out. Originally I didn't plan on bringing the rig at all and instead was just going to drive my Wife's civic out there for the day to watch the race and catch up with friends. I really didn't feel like spending the money that it takes to wheel for a weekend when you factor in fuel, food, park fees etc. My wife convinced me though and said I should go for the weekend and wheel and hang out with the guys (I'm starting to think she just wanted me out of the house for the weekend). So with that being said I loaded up and hit the road on Friday.

The park was pretty busy with the big guys in town.

And it wasn't uncommon to see these driving around camp

Here are a couple pictures from the UJltra4 race.

After the race we hung around camp for a few hours then decided to go do some wheeling. It was dark already but it was nice because the temp finally cooled down.

Now all weekend I'd been telling my buddies that I want to get some good wheeling in but I have zero desire to break. They all agreed. After we ran some of the race course (which was pretty knarly) we hit another trail that I would say was whatever rating is above knarly. My group is the same group I've been going with the last couple years. All very capable rigs on 1 tons, stickies and V8s. I was the only rig without a V8 and 1 of 2 not on stickies. The other rig not on stickies was Houston who is on 44" Pitbulls.

To get through this trail we straight beat down on our rigs. The Jeep performed awesome and really took a beating and climbed some pretty nasty sections of the trail. I did plenty of 2nd gear clutch dumps to get up some obstacles. Nothing about this trail was "crawling", it was all full throttle assaults.

You remember how I kept saying I didn't want to break this weekend? Yea keep that in mind. So sometimes you get so far along a trail that the only way to go is to continue going up. This trail was NOT a trail that you decide you're through with and you want to back down. Well I got to the last obstacle on the trail which was a series of rock ledges about 4 feet high.

This picture obviously doesn't do justice but I assure you those ledges are at least anywhere between 3-5' high depending on the section.

Notice how in that picture there is sunlight? Remember I told you we went wheeling at night? Well this picture is taken the following day when we had to come recover my rig after we left it on the mountain for the night.

So anyways I'm at this last obstacle and I'm givin 'er hell. I'm full throttle and trying multiple attempts but I can't even get my front tires up onto the top ledge. I just watched Houston in front of my get it with his V8 buggy on 44" Pitbulls so I knew the line and knew I needed to hammer it down. Finally after about 5-10 minutes of attacking this I hear a popping noise then it felt like I had some binding in the front.

.....I know you're all thinking the same as me, you just broke a D60 Chris!! It felt like a broke a shaft so I had someone take a look and they said the shaft looked good. whew... that's a relief, those chromolly shafts aren't cheap. Turns out I broke the ears off the tcase side of my front driveshaft.

What's weird is after breaking the driveshaft my pinion is sorta rotated down further than normal.... oh well, its late and getting me off this mountain in 2wd is going to be difficult and no one wants to try it at night. Lets come back tomorrow and get it.

So now it's Sunday and we all start heading up the trail to get my rig. I hopped in passenger of my buddies Toyota that we did not bring the night before because he isn't as built as everyone else. Well after about 30 seconds on the trail heading to where my rig is we flop the Toyota. Whoops.

We get that righted and continue heading up to get my rig. I start doing a little more investigating on what's up with the rig and make sure shes safe for the trip down the mountain. Remember when I said that it made a loud pop then I felt some binding? We thought I broke my 60 but it ended up being a driveshaft? Well turns out I still broke the 60 as well. No, not a axle shaft like we though. No, not a Ujoint either. Man I hope I didn't break my ring/pinion. Nope ring/pinion is still good. Well what else is there to break?? the ARB? No that would be too easy to replace. Whatever I broke has to be something that would be hard to replace because that's how karma treats me. I broke my whole freaking D60!! I spun my passenger axle tube and cracked the casting.

So in order to get my off the mountain I ran a strap through both inncer c's and around the entire axle to keep the passenger tube from coming out of the casting. Then I rigged a strap that went under my pinion and up around my shock hoop to keep the pinion/driver side knuckle from rotating down further and making it impossible to steer.

Here's how I rigged the strap across the axle

And the strap keeping my pinion from drooping

After a little bit I was able to successfully get down the mountain in 2 low and get loaded onto the trailer and head home. It was a great weekend but I'm pretty bummed I broke again. I guess I'm still working out the kinks and getting rid of the weak links.
bgredjeep and 87TPIYJ like this.
post #624 of 636 Old 07-28-2020, 07:16 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Jesus man.... I hope all of your expensive internals are all good. I am glad you had a good time at least. I do enjoy the challenges that come along with a recovery it just sucks having to spend a bunch of money on a new housing.
'92 vegas YJ likes this.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

YJOTM August 19
post #625 of 636 Old 07-28-2020, 07:21 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
14 BOLT FRONT FTW
Grewe02 and '92 vegas YJ like this.

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

post #626 of 636 Old 07-28-2020, 07:37 AM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Holy cow that is insane. Any theories as to why the axle housing cracked like that? Breaking a Dana 60 isnt an easy task. How are the guts if you have had a chance to check them out? Looking forward to what the plan is. Im guessing another Dana 60 or something else?
'92 vegas YJ likes this.

post #627 of 636 Old 07-28-2020, 07:45 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
ahem..... axle truss.... ahem
'92 vegas YJ and NHfireLJ like this.

YJOTM August 19
post #628 of 636 Old 07-28-2020, 09:17 AM
ody2099

Incredible build. Those pics look awesome.
'92 vegas YJ likes this.
post #629 of 636 Old 07-28-2020, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yea it was pretty crazy to see I broke the housing. I have not pulled it apart to look at the inside yet. Im still looking at my options for replacement.

I do think I will leave the 60 the way it is right now as a placement holder and start my motor swap first. The reason for this is I can try to place the motor and everything around my current axle/driveline setup, and if it doesn't fit and I need to move the axle I can do that with the new axle. I don't want to weld on new brackets to a new axle then realize I need to cut them off to move the axle. If that makes sense. Also it gives me more time to think of my next step and possible acquire some funds for it.
post #630 of 636 Old 07-28-2020, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
ahem..... axle truss.... ahem
For sure. Id say I'll definitely be using a truss from now on.
Grewe02 and cpia84 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in