Project White Squid --- one ton YJ - Page 40 - JeepForum.com
 314Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #586 of 636 Old 06-18-2020, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpia84 View Post
I have read that. after wheeling it is also important to do lots of cleaning of the synthetic rope to get rid of any dirt or other items in the rope.

Both types of cable have their pluses and minuses. I still use steel cable but i think once i am done with this rope or decide to upgrade winch ill switch to synthetic.

Either way the jeep is looking good!!
Thanks.

I agree that both have their positives and negative. I've really had no problems with my wire rope but it was getting near time to replace and since I had some store credit from Quadratec I figured why not. Also with the synthetic line I'm able to use one of those new recovery rings and not have to carry a normal snatch block.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #587 of 636 Old 06-26-2020, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well its been a interesting week with the Jeep. It all started with an invite to go wheeling last weekend. I've been itching to get out on the trail and spend some time in the woods so I jumped on the invite. the day before I left I swapped out the small LED cubes on from from bumper for a small LED bar. Simple and quick swap.

Then I loaded up the camper and threw the Jeep on the trailer.

The next morning I hit the road. I made it about 30 minutes from my house when the trailer swayed real hard in the middle of a curve on the freeway. I knew something was wrong so I pulled over to check. Turns out I lost my wheel/tire and all 6 wheel studs snapped on my passenger rear hub of the trailer.

I limped 0.5 mile off the freeway into what turned out to be a VERY SHADY part of Memphis. I called my wife and she ran all over town looking for new wheel studs to replace them with. Finally she found some and brought them to me. I pulled out the spare tire/wheel and started replacing wheel studs on the side of the road.

I eventually got it put back together and in total I spent 4 hours sitting on a side street right off the freeway. After I got everything fixed I went back to find my tire/wheel as its a brand new tire. I knew exactly where it happened and pulled the truck over on the freeway and started walking the bank. I found the tire and could even see the tire track all the way down the hill. I'm so glad I found it though.

Then I got back in the truck and finished my drive. I got to the destination, turned on the AC in the camper and had a nice relaxing evening.

The following morning we hit the trails. About 5 minutes in the person that invited me broke a 44 Ujoint and it took out both inner and outer shaft ears as well. We went back to his camper to find a spare but he accidentally left them in his shop. So with that he decided to just ride with me. We spent the next few hours riding with the group that he met out there. The Jeep did great and hit many hard trails. I did end up flopping it on one trail though. I actually laid it over twice at the same place, once on the passenger side then again on the driver's side. I was able to reverse out of both and continue on. Here's a grainy picture I have of one of them. I have some video but don't know how to upload it from Imgur.

I was the only one that tried the trail and after 2 flops I gave in and we went elsewhere. Throughout the day I did notice that my transfer case has started to make some really nasty noises and it kept getting worse. I told the group that I think this trip might finally do her in. Sure enough while on a small trail/service road between trails my Tcase finally gave up. She made a hard grinding noise and locked up. I got it into neutral but after that could not get it into 4l, 4h or 2h at all so I ended up being towed back to camp. I finished out the night at the park just relaxing around camp and loaded up and headed home on Sunday.

Sitting where she got towed to, in defeat.

I had to winch it onto the trailer the following morning

On Monday I decided to pull the case and see what I was working with.

All this gooey, sparkly metal shaving nastiness is supposed to be there right?

This is all of the metal pieces that were in the bottom of the tray I drained the oil into.

It appears I have destroyed the Teralow planetaries I believe. None on the main gears have any issues at all with them. I still have my stock front half of my case so I began to clean all the parts up and swap everything back over to the stock case. The only part that I didn't feel comfortable reusing was the range fork. The nylon pads were gone and there was some marring of the fork itself. A quick call to Quadratec and I had a new range fork and new front output seal on the way.

The new parts came in today and I threw the Tcase back together. I started to reinstall the case but got extremely frustrated trying to finagle the case into place. Because of my rear 4link crossmember its a very difficult task. I have to spin and flip and turn the Tcase about 6 different ways to snake it into place. I finally got fed up today though and decided I'm going to make my crossmember removable. With that being said I stopped trying to install the case and completely changed course.

To cut out the crossmember I had to remove my rear lower links. After wrestling them out I could finally get a real good look at what the last couple years of wheeling has done to them.

They are extremely bent and I don't think I should reuse them. Good thing I still have like 10 feet of 2x.250 DOM in my shed. I'm going to order up some new threaded inserts and make new lower links. I would love to spring for some aluminum links but that's not in the budget right now. I should be able to build some new links for about $50 and hopefully get a couple more yeas of wheeling before I need to spring for aluminum.

Heres what my links look like. They used to be straight, and the same length...

My drivers link is the worst. Its bent 2 ways.

After that I cut out my crossmember.

before/after

I'm going to make some tabs to make the crossmember bolt in.

Something like these tabs

Thats as far as I got today. I'll continue tomorrow and update this whenever I get some progress.
NHfireLJ likes this.
post #588 of 636 Old 06-26-2020, 06:37 PM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Wow what an experience. The issue of removing the drivetrain is the main reason I didnít go with a full double triangulation. I figured I would run into the same thing you did. Do you think your lug nuts were loose? I bet you were happy to wheel though.

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #589 of 636 Old 06-26-2020, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
Wow what an experience. The issue of removing the drivetrain is the main reason I didnít go with a full double triangulation. I figured I would run into the same thing you did. Do you think your lug nuts were loose? I bet you were happy to wheel though.
I think it had to be loose lug nuts. I was the last person to touch them when I installed the new tires. I must've forgot to torque them up on that wheel or something. Only thing I can think of. I was definitely and interesting weekend. Even though I had some carnage it still felt good to get out on the trail.
87TPIYJ likes this.
post #590 of 636 Old 06-26-2020, 07:05 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Project White Squid --- one ton YJ

Wicked trip, Dude. Glad you got out.

I was always bending 2x.250 DOM on my rear lowers. A lot of leverage on those long links. The fix for me was was going to 2.25x.375 chromo, which has the same ID and therefore uses the same bungs. Havenít bent one since. Still pricey, but much cheaper than a set of custom aluminum links, I think.

Here is a comparison - 2x2 fiddy in the middle:

I also ran a tera low, and that planetary squeeeeeeeeled like a stuck pig in low range. High rpms are apparently bad for them.

Are you out of your 50 mile lock down yet?
NHfireLJ likes this.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #591 of 636 Old 06-26-2020, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Wicked trip, Dude. Glad you got out.

I was always bending 2x.250 DOM on my rear lowers. A lot of leverage on those long links. The fix for me was was going to 2.25x.375 chromo, which has the same ID and therefore uses the same bungs. Havenít bent one since. Still pricey, but much cheaper than a set of custom aluminum links, I think.

Here is a comparison - 2x2 fiddy in the middle:

I also ran a tera low, and that planetary squeeeeeeeeled like a stuck pig in low range. High rpms are apparently bad for them.

Are you out of your 50 mile lock down yet?

Looking at the 2.25x.375 looks to be about $300 if I ordered it online. That includes shipping. I haven't looked into any places to buy steel local yet, haven't had the need yet. The bigger DOM is definitely an option down the road. I know 2x.250 doesn't last long but I have a lot of it and its gotten me by for a while. I bought a bunch of tubing and plate off a guy that was moving like 4 years ago for $100 and there were 2 sticks of 2x.250 so I've been using it like crazy.

I am honestly surprised I got the 8 years out of my Teralow that I did. I am not easy on it and definitely didn't follow the "no high RPM" rule with it. Its just impossible to wheel but keep your RPMs low so that you don't blow up your tcase.

I am not out of the 50 mile lock down yet. They actually just put out even more stringent rules for us. It may be a while before they let us start travelling.
post #592 of 636 Old 06-26-2020, 08:47 PM
Louie4
Web Wheeler

1935 CJ2A 

Whoa Chris! Thatís gnarly. I was close to getting a Tera Low 4:1 for my Jeep but didnít given the issues you have experienced. Glad no one got hurt with the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #593 of 636 Old 06-26-2020, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Whoa Chris! Thatís gnarly. I was close to getting a Tera Low 4:1 for my Jeep but didnít given the issues you have experienced. Glad no one got hurt with the trailer.

I remember your thread about it. The problem is there are not a lot of options out there. People want stupid money for a Rubicon case and an atlas is a bit out of my price range. Especially because I don't have my forever drivetrain. I am coming up with a solution though.
87TPIYJ likes this.
post #594 of 636 Old 06-26-2020, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I was able to take some screenshots on my phone of the couple times I laid it over. Heres so low quality screenshots.

Some of the passenger side

And driver side

post #595 of 636 Old 06-26-2020, 09:32 PM
Louie4
Web Wheeler

1935 CJ2A 

Iíll be curious to see what your solution is. A doubler? I couldnít find a Rubicon case for less than $1300 here.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #596 of 636 Old 06-27-2020, 06:14 AM
jtulski

Awesome Build!
post #597 of 636 Old 06-27-2020, 07:41 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Where were you wheeliní, Chris?

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #598 of 636 Old 06-27-2020, 07:00 PM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Holy cow that is a rather umm eventful experience. I think most would have just turned around and gone home but you kept going. I would have recovered the trailer tire too. Sucks about the t-case. I’m interested in your solution as well.

post #599 of 636 Old 06-28-2020, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I’ll be curious to see what your solution is. A doubler? I couldn’t find a Rubicon case for less than $1300 here.

not a doubler. People really do want gold for a rubicon case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtulski View Post
Awesome Build!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Where were you wheelin’, Chris?
With this travel restriction we'll just say I went to a park West of me that happened to be exactly 50 miles away. It was HOT there but they at least had some nice SPRINGS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpia84 View Post
Holy cow that is a rather umm eventful experience. I think most would have just turned around and gone home but you kept going. I would have recovered the trailer tire too. Sucks about the t-case. I’m interested in your solution as well.
Yea it was definitely an eventful weekend. I had already commited to going wheeling. I needed it for my sanity sake. I did contemplate going home though but glad I stuck it out.

My solution for the Tcase is nothing revolutionary. Its the same thing everyone else has been doing with there rigs the last couple years on here.
post #600 of 636 Old 06-28-2020, 07:45 PM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
l weekend. I had already commited to going wheeling. I needed it for my sanity sake. I did contemplate going home though but glad I stuck it out.

My solution for the Tcase is nothing revolutionary. Its the same thing everyone else has been doing with there rigs the last couple years on here.
...and that is???

I am glad you got out to abuse that thing a little.
'92 vegas YJ likes this.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

YJOTM August 19

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in